• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

Me, my back, and my taper

HannahS

Greenlighter
Hey all - I've been on and off here for awhile, but thought I'd maybe try being on a bit more than off as I'm actively tapering from percocet. Quick story, common to many. Sep 2016, was rear-ended by a 19 yo stripper living in her car (I kid you not) on the first day of school. Lots of MRIs, docs (including my favorite who asked me "why do you THINK you're in pain?"). Essentially, I tore and squished C5/6 and pushed out C5, resulting in myofascial pain syndrome, occipital neuralgia, and cervical radiculopathy = intense back/shoulder/upper arm pain, crazy all-head & sinus headaches, and loss of sensation in hands. Started on low-dose percocet shortly after accident as needed, and later added various meds to manage nerve pain, headaches, and muscle spasms. In March, pain management doc did a cervical medial branch block (CMBB) for C1-7 both sides, triggering migraines from hell and freaking out my neurologist who suspected CMBB caused a CSF leak or overflow. New MRIs showed now spinal compression, referral to neurosurgeon. C5/6 fusion 9/15 this year was successful, and I'm about 11 weeks post-op. Had to take unpaid medical leave because my employer is a cheap ass. Seriously, who doesn't pay for spinal surgery leave? But I had no choice.

I started to taper pretty much at post-op week 2, shifting from post-op dilaudid & oxy to percocet. At week 5 I dropped the 4th dose of low-dose percocet, butalbital, and baclofen. After my 6 week checkup with neurologist and then neurosurgeon's PA, goals were to wean off the hard-collar (man those suck!), then the percocet, then the butalbital, and not worry for awhile about the baclofen and long-acting gaba (Gralise). Going off the hard collar was brutal but joyous :)

I self-tapered (mistake #1) based on internet info, cutting 1/2 of my midday perc for a week, and then dropping it. When I cut my evening perc in half the next week, I woke at 3am with leg spasms and twitches and freaked out. Went back on regular dose and called pain management.

So here I am. Pain management PA put me on a .1 clonidine patch and advised me to spread and slow the taper, keeping everything else the same - so I am on 1/2 of a 5mg perc 3x/d for two weeks, and it's week 4, day 30. Part of me wants to accelerate back to cutting a dose each week, but the side effects of headaches and RLS are intolerable, and I am trying not to play doctor :) I'm edgy and my fingers are like ice, no appetite, no mojo, entirely exhausted, and struggling to be gentle with myself. My inner voice is really harsh - push push push - and I struggle with self-care and nurturing anyone but my hubby and kids.

Thanks for listening and in advance for your support and encouragement. I didn't get to go to any AA meetings this week because my youngest has the flu. I'm a recovering anorexic and self-harmer, consider myself to be cross-addicted, and am 2 years 5 years "sober" of my eating disorder. Through all of this I did stop self-harming, though I don't know when. My anniversary is of the last time actively related to my eating disorder (no details - no triggers). AA helps a lot, even though I never got high from the meds, even in the hospital, and I am not an alcoholic or drug addict. I'm really careful of the language I use so I don't self-berate - I'm tapering, not weaning, and I'm physically dependent on the meds, not addicted. It might sound like hooey to some of you but it's important to me because I've never gone recreational though I could have especially with the hell of this past 15 months. I cannot wait to get the last of the narcotics out of my house, and I hold on to how awesome I will feel in a month or two when that is the case :)

Sorry - I rambled. Another side effect! xo & peace to all on the same or similar journeys!

I'm edgy and my fingers are like ice, no appetite, no mojo, entirely exhausted, and struggling to be gentle with myself. My inner voice is really harsh - push push push - and I struggle with self-care and nurturing anyone but my hubby and kids.

A lot of what you have struggled with before (eating disorder and self-harm) is probably coming up for you now. I don't mean the behaviors but rather the habits related to them (not taking care of yourself and the stress induced by a "push, push, push" edict). Why not do something as symbolic as it is therapeutic and schedule something just for you that will nurture you? Sometimes, sending that one little signal to yourself that says "my health matters more than anything else at the moment"
can be empowering for getting through the WDs/PAWS.

Please be careful with the clonidine. Optimally clonidine is given to people in residential treatment. I’ve been on it for three weeks and it has reduce my blood pressure to 70/50. So please be very careful.