• ⭐️

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Shale

Bluelighter
Spider-Man Homecoming
DVD Blurb by Shale
October 27, 2017

This movie opened in theaters on July 7, 2017 – but as some have noticed, I was not doing my usual “Movie of the Week” trips to the Cinema. Between bad weather, bad health or other art projects with which I got obsessed, my movie watching routine took a hit.

So, a quarter year later I got the DVD of some missed movies and watched them on the small screen at home.

91hi1TaZnZL._SX342_.jpg

I may note that I have perhaps outgrown some of the comic book movies (I gave all my original Tobey Maguire Spider-Man and original Fantastic videos to my grandson). Also, I have become more critical of the superhero movies that seem to blow off mass destruction of cities and the resultant death of thousands of civilians. Maybe a 13-year-old can handle that in a comic book, but those who were here on Sept. 11, 2001 know the reality that breaks thru the suspension of disbelief.

So, to my assessment of this newest Spider-Man incarnation. I really liked it because of the much younger, 15-year-old Peter Parker (Tom Holland – actually 21 in this movie). Maybe the great-grandpa in me can relate to the foibles common to young adolescents still unsure of how to relate to the world – even those with superpowers.

nbeeszqplsep8fip5djl.jpg

I also liked the economic reality portrayed here in the aftermath of the alien invasion of NYC (Avengers 2012) where the little businessman Adrian Toomes (Michael Keaton), contracted to do cleanup is put out of work by the big government (who decided they should keep a lid on all that alien tech trash that was strewn about the city). So, the boss comes up with an idea to recoup his losses – get smart ppl to develop the tech that they already had in their possession off the books.

This is discovered by our hapless young Neighborhood Spider-Man but his friend Tony Stark (Rob’t Downey Jr.) who recruited him to help in his fight against Capt. America (Civil War 2016) has outsourced him to Harold "Happy" Hogan (Jon Favreau) who pretty much blows him off. Did ya ever tell a teenager not to do something? Yeah, Right.

So, predictably, Peter and his nerd BFF Ned (Jacob Batalon) go after the crooks who are using alien weapons, getting into all sorts of action and occasional trouble.

Peter & Ned Ogle Girls
t4qdrfhawuhgvos2hkmm.jpg

I really enjoyed the fresh take on this Spider-Man movie. BTW, there is no Mary Jane in this movie for Peter Parker to crush on but there is Michelle Jones (Zendaya) who goes by the initials "MJ."

MJ & Peter
zendaya-tom-holland-michelle-peter-spiderman-homecoming.jpg

Also, considering Peter’s young age, his Aunt May (Marisa Tomei) is not ancient as portrayed in other movies, but would be closer to his mother’s young age.

Peter & Aunt May
df-30062r-copy.jpg

I loved how Michael Keaton played the Vulture, and also Birdman heheh :!

I too liked this film. Easily one of the best super hero flicks I've seen in years, second only to Logan I'd say.

It was good, far better than any of the Toby/Andrew spideys. Spider-Man is my all time favorite Marvel property by far. The comics I read as a kid, there would be a passing reference to other heroes every once in a while. There would be a special edition or crossover series where things would get mixed up. But I liked best Spider-Man kinda having his own world to inhabit, being on his own in the city. Having to figure out things for himself.

at times, Homecoming felt like a homework assignment they had to put together in order to bring Spidey into the MCU. I wanted it to be more about Peter Parker and less about Tony Stark and the Avengers.