Find Tagged Reports by Substance
    Substance Category
    Specific Substance
    Find Reports
  • Trip Reports Moderator: Xorkoth

(4-AcO-DMT / 27 mg) - Moderate exp. - A Critical Analysis of 4-AcO-DMT

TheAppleCore

Bluelighter
Previous psychedelic drugs taken include 2C-C, 2C-E, 25C-NBOMe, 25I-NBOMe, LSD, ALD-52, 1P-LSD, DMT, DPT, DiPT, 4-AcO-DMT, 4-HO-MET, 4-HO-MPT, 4-HO-MiPT, 4-AcO-MiPT, 4-AcO-DET, 4-HO-EPT, and 4-AcO-DPT.

This trip continues a series of reports on various tryptamines taken at roughly 9.0x10-5 moles in a comparable, solitary setting. Previous reports in the series:

4-AcO-DET: All in a Single Brushstroke
4-HO-MPT: Psychedelic Anaesthesia
4-AcO-MiPT: Bird of Prey
4-HO-MET: Frequency Collision

Introduction

I went into this trip with the principle goal of comparing 4-AcO-DMT (and thus its probable metabolite psilocin) to 4-HO-MET. After my last 4-HO-MET experience, I tentatively concluded that it differed only marginally from psilocin, and thus didn't offer enough unique value to warrant the use of a research chemical over a classic psychedelic with well-established safety. Shulgin makes a similar remark in TiHKAL. However, after taking 4-AcO-DMT at an equimolar dosage in identical conditions, it has become abundantly clear to me that I was wrong. 4-AcO-DMT and 4-HO-MET have significant differences which, for my purposes, lead me to generally prefer 4-HO-MET by quite a wide margin.

Full Report

At home alone on a typical Saturday evening, I dosed 27 mg 4-AcO-DMT fumarate orally, chased with ginger tea. I was relieved to find the come-up to be reasonably easygoing, as 4-AcO-DMT had proven to be a particularly difficult psychedelic for me in the past. As it turns out, despite the deceptive onset, this trip was no exception to that trend.

On my come-up walk, I noted that, unlike almost any other psychedelic drug, but very much like dissociatives, I felt punished for intellectually analyzing the process, and encouraged to simply let all of my thoughts dissolve into a meditative inner silence. When this happened on MXE, I used to call it "walking the ground of unknowing"—it was meant to be a metaphor, but now I found myself literally stumbling through the neighbhorhood with my eyes closed, only opening them briefly now and then to maintain some vague awareness of my surroundings! Certainly not something I've ever been compelled to do on any other occasion.

The visuals were a dramatic point of departure from 4-HO-MET. In short, despite being at times breathtakingly beautiful, 4-AcO-DMT's visuals are believable to me as the spontaneous result of a powerful hallucinogenic drug, whereas 4-HO-MET's visuals baffle me with their seemingly intelligent design. The former creates a visual display which provokes the same sort of fascination one finds in the alien beauty of deep-sea lifeforms, or NASA's images of giant storms on the surface of Saturn; the latter evokes a more accessible, human aesthetic, like the elegantly flowing symmetrical linework of a master ta moko artist.

With eyes open, visuals were not nearly as pronounced as on 4-HO-MET, but what I did see was rather disconnected from my environment, a transparent projection from some separate inner process which overlaid and clashed with my ordinary vision. On the other hand, 4-HO-MET's open-eye visuals are heavily derived from the forms of the outside world, and seamlessly blend with my environment to create stunningly artistic, flashy psychedelia. Behind closed eyes, however, 4-AcO-DMT revealed its true visual potential. The closed-eye visuals consisted of geometric form constants which had remarkable rigidity—as long as I kept my eyes closed, they remained as steadfastly fixed in place as rock—but were nonetheless "clothed" by a colorful outer layer which was dynamically animated like magical fabric on a stationary mannequin. These mysterious form constants were layered together into highly complex, fully three-dimensional scenes, and if I opened my eyes for awhile, upon closing them again, an entirely new scene would appear.

As the trip progressed, I became increasingly fatigued, so at roughly T+1:00, I lay down in bed and closed my eyes. I quickly descended into what I can only describe as a hypnagogic delirium in which I had a terrifying nightmare that I, God, had made some terrible mistake, and accidentally created an evil force so great that it usurped me, and grew to consume the entire universe in a wake of hellish pain and destruction. I felt simultaneously sweltering yet freezing; I was dying of thirst yet on the brink of water poisoning; suffocating yet hyperventilating; and so on, destined to be tortured as such for all eternity.

This panic continued for about an hour (which felt more like four) before I snapped out of it, at which point, feeling abused and bedraggled, I decided it was high time to have a little fun, so I smoked a bowl of cannabis, broke out my nitrous oxide supplies, and did a couple large balloons while listening to electronic music. I decided that the nitrous was enjoyable for roughly the same reason as a roller-coaster ride: an exciting flurry of extreme sensations, but not particularly subtle or enlightening. At the peak of the second balloon, I experienced the auditory equivalent of a geometric visual: the sound of the music formed an infinitely repeating pattern in my mind. After I was through with the nitrous, the trip was over for all intents and purposes.

I waited longer than usual to write this report so I could observe and comment on any long-term effects, just in case 4-AcO-DMT had some therapeutic benefits to redeem the gritty trip itself. I did notice, as I often have when I've taken 4-AcO-DMT in the past, some anti-addictive promise: during the following week or so, I naturally found myself cutting back on caffeine, alcohol, and sugar, and I felt motivated to break out of my comfort zone in other ways. However, the effect was temporary, and not exactly life-changing. I find other related tryptamines to edge out 4-AcO-DMT's long-term effects in other areas, like 4-HO-MET, which has a more pronounced euphoric afterglow, or 4-HO-MiPT, which seems more emotionally healing.

Conclusion

This trip successfully accomplished my goal of clearly identifying the important differences between 4-AcO-DMT and 4-HO-MET (and the rest of the 4-substituted family), of which there are many. All in all, while the latter is currently one of my favorite psychedelics, I'm not sold on 4-AcO-DMT.

I might consider turning to this particular substance if I, god forbid, ever found myself in the grips of a serious addiction, since it shows signs of habit-breaking efficacy. And, admittedly, the closed-eye visuals were quite special in their own way: more than almost any other psychedelic, 4-AcO-DMT's visuals strike me as a detailed readout from some advanced technology designed to analyze the neural networks of the human brain, and it wouldn't surprise me if there are indeed some important things we can learn from closely studying these visuals in a scientific context.

But these are not current priorities of mine. I want to take psychedelics for aesthetic pleasures such as music enhancement and artful visuals, or to enjoy casually daydreaming about intellectual topics. 4-AcO-DMT is too frightening and confusing for much of that. I'm all for the "no pain, no gain" mantra, but simply put, I don't see much gain for the pain here. So I tip my hat in gratitude to the late Dr. Shulgin for providing us such derivatives of psilocin as 4-HO-MET, 4-HO-MPT, and 4-HO-MiPT, which allow me to better create the effects I seek.

substancecode_4acodmt
substancecode_tryptamines
substancecode_nitrous
substancecode_dissociatives
explevel_experienced
roacode_oral
roacode_inhaled
exptype_neutral
_combo_

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the report. :) You seem to imply that 4-AcO-DMT and psilocin should be about the same, but in fact, many people, including myself, find 4-AcO-DMT and psilocin to differ substantially enough that they are two entirely independent and different substances. I find 4-AcO-DMT to start like a slowed-down DMT flash, totally unlike psilocin. I find this stage confusing and a bit bewildering. Then later on it seems to turn back towards a mushrooms-like state. I always feel very jovial and loose post-peak. The best use for 4-AcO-DMT during the peak, IMO, is music with eyes closed.

You're welcome! :) Yeah, I figured you might respond that way, haha. I haven't tried either mushrooms or synthetic psilocin, but I have tried the AcO and HO variants of 4-HO-MET and 4-HO-MiPT, and while I did possibly detect some minor differences, they were honestly small enough to chalk up to placebo, and Shulgin treats the acetates and indolols as interchangeable. So, while I can appreciate that there might be some subjective differences perhaps due to pharmacokinetic reasons, I feel pretty confident assuming that my general opinion of 4-AcO-DMT would also largely apply to mushrooms or psilocin.