• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc (Gabapentin) Withdrawal - Switch to Phenibut?

chris614

Greenlighter
I am looking for some feedback about my gabapentin withdrawal and the possibility of switching to Phenibut for the remainder of the taper. I’ll try and explain my reasoning and hopefully some of you pharmacology wizzes can let me know if my logic makes any sense.

I also know baclofen is another option, but I am not as familiar with it. I’d be open to any info on that choice as well.

I was prescribed gabapentin 6 years ago and have been on it ever since. Like many others, it was portrayed to me as this benign harmless medication. Also, like others, I have come to find it is anything but. Gabepentin withdrawal is the worst withdrawal I have experienced, and that’s compared to the heroin and benzo withdrawals I had before I got sober. Even at a super slow taper it’s still difficult. It’s taken me 6 months to get from 1200mg to 600mg so I still have a long road ahead of me.

The reasons I have been considering switching to phenibut or baclofen for the rest of the taper are:

1. Gabapentin has a short half life and requires 3 or sometimes 4 daily doses. I get interdose withdrawals and even just missing a dose by an hour makes me feel like shit. My mood is up and down throughout the day which I also attribute to the gabapentin. Although phenibut seems to have an equally short half life, everything I read Says the effects last quite long. It seems people can get away with twice or sometimes even once daily Dosing. I would be so happy to be able to only dose twice a day.

2. Gabapentin has weird bioavailability issues that change based on dose and just seem unpredictable overall. I have no idea about phenibut bioavailability, but I was guessing it’s better or more consistent.

3. Gabapentin has taken a psychological toll on me. This whole experience has sucked and I have grown to despise the medication and the people who put me on it. This may be crazy, but I feel like it would be a mental relief to be off the gabapenin, even if I was just trading it for another dependence.

I feel like I had another reason but can’t think of it right now. Regardless, I am aware that all of these substances have very difficult withdrawals. I don’t have some delusion that I will somehow avoid them if I switch to something else. I just feel like there’s some pharmacological differences between them which may make the taper a bit easier or more manageable.

I’d love some feedback, and if my logic is flawed I’ll just stick to my gabapentin taper and do my best.

Thank you!

I find phenibut is stronger and has a worse WD that lasts even longer. To be honest if you are struggling with interdose WD symptoms then getting off completely could prove extremely difficult.

I would stay on the gaba and maybe try stacking your doses while continuing to taper under medical supervision. Try taking a small amount every 3 hours. Dosing multiple times each day may be a "pain" but it will not be as painful as the symptoms that follow phenibut cessation.

Last edited:
I know this seems like swapping one bad drug for another but have you seriously considered swapping to Lyrica, use this as an intermediary drug for coming off them all together?

Whether this is a worthwhile idea is all about how the phenibut is being planned to use and how familiar you are with how it works. Baclofen (especially) or pregabalin even would probably work better than phenibut all things considered.

Switching to Pregabalin to try to get off Gabapentin is like switching to heroin to try to get off codeine...

A strange choice indeed. Why switch to a stronger version of basically rhe same drug. Why dont you just reduce the Gabapentin? Even despite the issues of bioavailability etc. that you mentioned, it seems a far better idea than trading to Pregabalin or phenibut. Many of the things you describe sound largely psychosomatic.

The advantage to pregablin is that it supposedly doesn't have the bioavailability/absorption quirks that gabapentin does. Would be easier to enact a taper of some sort...

The advantage to pregablin is that it supposedly doesn't have the bioavailability/absorption quirks that gabapentin does. Would be easier to enact a taper of some sort...

I've only ever been on pregabalin and never experienced any of the issues you mention. Personally I've been able to start and stop pregabalin without too much problems...maybe a day or two of anxiety but that's it. It's been invaluable for me to stop prescribed opiates.

You really think that pregabalin is better to taper on?

Honestly, I tend to agree with your earlier post suggesting the OP just taper the gabapentin. Or replace it with another more appropriate drug like baclofen.

The only way I could see this being anything close to a good idea is if you take low low doses of Phenibut -- like, say, less than 500 mg in a day. Phenibut has an absurdly long come up and plateau and is possible to just take once daily, but as the others mentioned, it seems as if you would be prolonging the process and possibly making it worse.

A very long, slow taper. Dont forget AED tend to cause sizures upon withdrawal when you stop cold turkey. I'm on pregabalin, and tapering is the only way to go. I would suggest you continue on the taper that got you from 1200mg to 600mg. Yes its a long road, but the only one. If you switch to phenibut (which is not a lisenced drug) it might make things work. Continue with a slow taper is my strong suggestion.

And just to reiterate your point, gabapentanoids are not harmless and benign they have a teriible withdrawal if you have been abusing or taking high doses. Hell, even those on theraputic doses suffer.

I'm not saying but just saying I never really dug it so somehow I just kept getting it at the pharmacy every time I picked up my insulin and I just got home and it was in the bag ive still got tons of 800s.

I am currently tapering my 8 month gabapentin habit and I would NOT recommend baclofen. I was prescribed baclofen about half way into my gabapentin habit. Baclofen will stop gabapentin withdraw in its tracks but it is extremely potent and it’s own withdraw is terrible. Your tolerance to gabapentin with also skyrocket if you take baclofen daily.

For your taper I would HIGHLY recommend magnesium L-Threonate, DL-Phenylanine, and L-Tyrosine for a mood/energy boost. Those three alone have helped me tremendously, but they are chemicals you are adding to your brain so don’t go too crazy.

I was prescribed 3200 mg a day for 4 years taking that in a staggered dose every day and I recently quit 6 days ago and I have absolutely zero withdrawal symptoms except that I miss the recreational effects but I decided I didn't want to be on it anymore phenibut is a different story though the gaba B receptor agonism will cause nasty dependance issues not worth using to quit gabapentin in my opinion the effects are more different than similar as well like I said even though chemically similar

Phenibut is addictive as shit a single 100g tub had me trembling a bit when it wore out (which is a sign you should go to the hospital, I've never had DTs but am lucky probably, since I have gotten shaky)

I was prescribed 3200 mg a day for 4 years taking that in a staggered dose every day and I recently quit 6 days ago and I have absolutely zero withdrawal symptoms except that I miss the recreational effects but I decided I didn't want to be on it anymore phenibut is a different story though the gaba B receptor agonism will cause nasty dependance issues not worth using to quit gabapentin in my opinion the effects are more different than similar as well like I said even though chemically similar

Yeah dude I've been on gabapentin for years and occasionally skip a few days with ZERO withdrawals, even psychological. (Maybe the withdrawal takes several days?)