• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

Mental Health Does there need to be a rebellion against the norm?

Markomarkh

Bluelighter
There seems to be a growing trend in society, for the last few generations of sex drugs and rock n roll and has come in many forms, these days it’s clubbing to crappy cheesy pop music, drinking, taking drugs like ecstasy, smoking weed and having promiscuous sex and sex parties, it’s had a bad effect on the uk and humanity, this is where all the mental illness is coming from. I’m sick of it! It’s pure hedonism and going no where! I really wish teenagers or younger generations would just rebel and just say no to this bullshit! It’s the media that pressurises them into this stupid behaviour! When are people going to think for them selves and grow up! Is there such a party or scene that has no sex, no drinking, no drugs, no kissing and just there for the good music? I know there was straight edge but what really came of it? What you think?

Maybe you should go to church.

Nah don’t really believe, I’m agnostic on that subject, what we need in society is something new! There’s been no progress in the uk for the last ten years, that’s why people are turning back to hedonistic animal pleasures because they see no future for them! They say fuck it and party!

You say you don't believe, but then you call it hedonism, drugs have been a thing forever. Same thing with casual sex. Society moves forward regardless

that’s why people are turning back to hedonistic animal pleasures because they see no future for them! They say fuck it and party!

All my adult life people have been turning to hedonistic pleasures. The Thatcher years with all their materialistic indulgences. The rave years with excessive pill necking and partying like there's no tomorrow. If anything there is a lack of hedonism now. Everyone's got their faces too buried into their i phone to have a good time socially. There are hardly any places to go and see bands anymore in the UK and many people don't earn enough money to afford a decent night out, what with beer the price it is now £3 a pint or more in pubs. Most of my old haunts have closed down in my town. Back in the 80's in the summer months there were "hippy" festivals every week somewhere or other in the UK. Now there's just a handful of severely policed, commercialized pop culture youth freedom zones. Pub chains like Wetherspoons with their no music policy with tv screens in every direction showing mindless sporting events and BBC propaganda. TV is unwatchable these days which is probably a good thing in some ways. They are showing public affairs type programmes in peak viewing time now which are like the same type of garbage which used to be shown during the day on BBC 2 when everybody was at work or at school. There is no fun aspect to anything now, the accent is all on the economy and the government and keeping us all in check.

You say you don't believe, but then you call it hedonism, drugs have been a thing forever. Same thing with casual sex. Society moves forward regardless
society moving forward??? Yeah right don’t make me laugh, uk has gone backwards I reckon with this Tory government of ours!

All my adult life people have been turning to hedonistic pleasures. The Thatcher years with all their materialistic indulgences. The rave years with excessive pill necking and partying like there's no tomorrow. If anything there is a lack of hedonism now. Everyone's got their faces too buried into their i phone to have a good time socially. There are hardly any places to go and see bands anymore in the UK and many people don't earn enough money to afford a decent night out, what with beer the price it is now £3 a pint or more in pubs. Most of my old haunts have closed down in my town. Back in the 80's in the summer months there were "hippy" festivals every week somewhere or other in the UK. Now there's just a handful of severely policed, commercialized pop culture youth freedom zones. Pub chains like Wetherspoons with their no music policy with tv screens in every direction showing mindless sporting events and BBC propaganda. TV is unwatchable these days which is probably a good thing in some ways. They are showing public affairs type programmes in peak viewing time now which are like the same type of garbage which used to be shown during the day on BBC 2 when everybody was at work or at school. There is no fun aspect to anything now, the accent is all on the economy and the government and keeping us all in check.

Same thing in the US. Even when people do go out it's too escape not have fun

uk has gone backwards I reckon with this Tory government of ours!
Your views are just all over the place. You know that the Conservative government are exactly the ones pushing the kind of militantly anti-drug, anti-casual sex, anti-clubbing and anti-hedonism values that you yourself are proposing would be a solution to the current status quo? That is, for the impoverished, unwashed masses at least - if you're lucky enough to belong to the 1% then basically anything goes as long as you have enough money to pay the right people to turn a blind eye to whatever form of immoral depravity you feel like indulging in.

Is there such a party or scene that has no sex, no drinking, no drugs, no kissing and just there for the good music? I know there was straight edge but what really came of it? What you think?
Yes, of course there is. Try sober raves, try meeting up with communities of asexuals, or, as you say, straight edge, or most definitely some kind of religious communities, even if you don't buy into the theistic aspect. The views you express are unfortunately still quite widespread in certain communities and with a little effort you should have no problem finding them.

Actually, there is some recent statistical data to indicate that the younger generations nowadays are using less drugs, having less casual sex, and generally engaging in "tamer" hobbies than their parents' generation, for the first time in a long time. In many ways this could be a good thing, of course, but if anything I think it only demonstrates the cyclical nature of trends in human society, and I guarantee that since the stone ages there were parties with music, dancing, intoxicants and, probably, sexual promiscuity... ie, young and not so young people just relaxing and enjoying themselves. Society has marched forward from the stone ages regardless of this persistent trend - and regardless of your views on progress within this last very very small window of human history - and really the only thing that has had a significant impact on individual peoples' lives during this time, apart from their own preference for partying or not partying, is the sociocultural and more importantly legal attitudes towards this kind of behaviour.

Far more important than whether or not people are partying a lot, I hope you would not deny, is whether or not people have the freedom to do so, and unfortunately it is reactionary attitudes like yours, generally unsupported by scientific evidence, that have so often lead towards brutally oppressive, barbaric and frankly nonsensical laws that incarcerate people for doing things that should not be a concern to anyone but themselves. The War on Drugs is a perfect modern day allegory for historical restrictions on countless other forms of entertainment, art, and sexual expression, and we all know how much good that has done.

Forgive me for saying this, but I can't help but think that a lot of your anger towards parties, casual sex and people enjoying themselves actually just comes from the fact that you aren't invited to those kind of parties.

I could introduce you to some really humourless communists that aren't into having a good time :)

Haha, but seriously - i think people get into "animal" pleasures because we are animals. It's natural, really.

In some ways i kinda get what you're saying - i hate alcohol and find the club scene and a lot of contemporary party scenes rather vapid, but i guess the opposite path to take is an intellectual one.
I like to party when i feel like it, but also enjoy going and hanging out with people without getting fucked up, sometimes.

There is always theatre, art and other forms of culture that aren't purely hedonistic party scenes.

Personally i like to mix it up a little. I play music with people, and that can be either a relaxing fun time, or something we put a lot of hard work into, or a big party time, or just a cruisy afternoon with a cup of tea.
Like, we don't need to get high or whatever, but sometimes we do.
Having a focus (music - or whatever) means that you can do whatever you like, and not have to get dragged down by what other people around you are doing.
For example i can go play a gig and my friends in the audience may be slamming back the drinks and getting rowdy, but i don't care because i have something else to focus on.

The sex thing though - that's (literally) human nature.
As vastness so eloquently states, you can certainly see what sort of communities exist amongst asexual people, or whatever.
The internet allows people from all sorts of walks of life to come together, if that is what you want.

I think you'd be (pleasantly) surprised what is out there, but the first (and most important!) step is seeking it out.
Until you've done that, there's not much to gain from writing-off the social options that are (or aren't?) around.

Your views are just all over the place. You know that the Conservative government are exactly the ones pushing the kind of militantly anti-drug, anti-casual sex, anti-clubbing and anti-hedonism values that you yourself are proposing would be a solution to the current status quo? That is, for the impoverished, unwashed masses at least - if you're lucky enough to belong to the 1% then basically anything goes as long as you have enough money to pay the right people to turn a blind eye to whatever form of immoral depravity you feel like indulging in.

Yes, of course there is. Try sober raves, try meeting up with communities of asexuals, or, as you say, straight edge, or most definitely some kind of religious communities, even if you don't buy into the theistic aspect. The views you express are unfortunately still quite widespread in certain communities and with a little effort you should have no problem finding them.

Actually, there is some recent statistical data to indicate that the younger generations nowadays are using less drugs, having less casual sex, and generally engaging in "tamer" hobbies than their parents' generation, for the first time in a long time. In many ways this could be a good thing, of course, but if anything I think it only demonstrates the cyclical nature of trends in human society, and I guarantee that since the stone ages there were parties with music, dancing, intoxicants and, probably, sexual promiscuity... ie, young and not so young people just relaxing and enjoying themselves. Society has marched forward from the stone ages regardless of this persistent trend - and regardless of your views on progress within this last very very small window of human history - and really the only thing that has had a significant impact on individual peoples' lives during this time, apart from their own preference for partying or not partying, is the sociocultural and more importantly legal attitudes towards this kind of behaviour.

Far more important than whether or not people are partying a lot, I hope you would not deny, is whether or not people have the freedom to do so, and unfortunately it is reactionary attitudes like yours, generally unsupported by scientific evidence, that have so often lead towards brutally oppressive, barbaric and frankly nonsensical laws that incarcerate people for doing things that should not be a concern to anyone but themselves. The War on Drugs is a perfect modern day allegory for historical restrictions on countless other forms of entertainment, art, and sexual expression, and we all know how much good that has done.

Forgive me for saying this, but I can't help but think that a lot of your anger towards parties, casual sex and people enjoying themselves actually just comes from the fact that you aren't invited to those kind of parties.

People enjoying them selves these days really??? Gosh how dare they! I’m really missing out! Shite music, getting drunk in early hours of morning, getting an std! taking a cocktail of unknown research chemical drugs doing god knows what, vomiting in streets, getting into fights, blue light ambulances taxis, yeah sure really enjoy it just ends up with a headache! The real days were between 1960s and to end of 1999 and I did enjoy myself in 1990s when we had real dance music! But I’ve grown up now! I’m not religious but still believe in morals and I believe in progress not degenerate way this country is going . If I was invited to a sex party I’d find it boring after 10minutes or dare not to go at all, looks like sexual hell to me! Never have believed in promiscuous sex, I want a real love! Which there ain’t a lot of in this world but I will find it!

i know what you don't like, but can tell us something you do want to do?

what's your idea of a good night out mark?

i know what you don't like, but can tell us something you do want to do?

what's your idea of a good night out mark?

Something new! Something you ain’t heard yet! A new band that is pushing new boundaries like the prodigy did in the 90s, kids today know shit I reckon! Their idea of entertainment is xfactor or Facebook! What a pile of poo!

i reckon you have to look harder to find amazing music these days, but believe me - it is out there.

the difference is, since the 90s, the recording industry has collapsed, and they only promote really shitty safe music these days, and tv pumps out all that x factor shite.

but there are still heaps of wicked bands, and the technology to make music means you don't have to be rich to get your hands on some killer analogue synths or recording equipment.

synths, drum machines, electric guitars can be bought for very little money these days...

i pretty much find all the music i listen to from watching bands live - not tv or even radio any more.

so yeah, i do agree it is harder to find good music these days, but it is worth the effort i reckon.
is for me, anyway. :)

Last edited:
Young people are rebelling - they are rebelling against centuries of restrictive conservative attitudes; with sex, drugs and music.

Hedonism is great. What's wrong with feeling good and persuing that?

Young people are rebelling - they are rebelling against centuries of restrictive conservative attitudes; with sex, drugs and music.

Hedonism is great. What's wrong with feeling good and persuing that?

Think the only time conservative values will drop is when hedonism becomes safe, like future safe drugs, full safety contraceptives pills that also safe against every std and pregnancy, synthetic alcohol prof. Nutt is working on that has no hangover and safe. I ain’t against people partying, I like happy people but if I had a teen daughter or son today I’d be very concerned about their safety. Maybe safe hedonism might happen in future I don’t really know.

we're getting there!

It's kinda like the thing bluelight is working on; making drug use safe.
I mean, drug use isn't synonymous with hedonism, but i'm sure for a lot of people here the two things are somewhat linked.

Anyway - by contributing to the wealth of knowledge on bluelight, we are all collaborating on the development of safe drug use.
Or safest possible drug use. I mean, everything in life has risks - from driving a car, jumping out of a plane, walking down the street, etc.

It's just varying degrees of risk. Where i live, walking down the street is pretty safe. Jumping out of a plane is dangerous, but using safety precautions, education and the right equipment, it's generally quite safe.

I think the same principle applies to drug use - and i agree with tranced, i don't think there is anything wrong with hedonism either.
Life's pretty short, you may as well enjoy it :)

Something new! Something you ain’t heard yet! A new band that is pushing new boundaries like the prodigy did in the 90s, kids today know shit I reckon! Their idea of entertainment is xfactor or Facebook! What a pile of poo!

That's utter bullshit. I'm 29 so I was a kid no too long ago and I promise they don't watch x factor. In the US jam bands and electronic music is huge right now. Edm is all about hedonism.

That's utter bullshit. I'm 29 so I was a kid no too long ago and I promise they don't watch x factor. In the US jam bands and electronic music is huge right now. Edm is all about hedonism.

I hope so, I’d like to think this generation or next has some taste ! I think the people who like xfactor are really bored, dim low iq or are your parents! Not all parents but mine do! Really sad! I think people need to stop talking about it and it will go away eventually! Some edm is okay but things on YouTube like Tomorrowland or whatever it called is pure cheese macdonalds music and not as good as the heyday! Think the real days of raving are over pretty much or I’m just old now!

People enjoying them selves these days really??? Gosh how dare they! I’m really missing out! Shite music, getting drunk in early hours of morning, getting an std! taking a cocktail of unknown research chemical drugs doing god knows what, vomiting in streets, getting into fights, blue light ambulances taxis, yeah sure really enjoy it just ends up with a headache! The real days were between 1960s and to end of 1999 and I did enjoy myself in 1990s when we had real dance music! But I’ve grown up now! I’m not religious but still believe in morals and I believe in progress not degenerate way this country is going . If I was invited to a sex party I’d find it boring after 10minutes or dare not to go at all, looks like sexual hell to me! Never have believed in promiscuous sex, I want a real love! Which there ain’t a lot of in this world but I will find it!

I really enjoyed going to tons of concerts! That was the most fun. EDM is awful btw. Don't know how anyone listens to it. Ah well.

Here's the good news: You don't have to be bothered with the type of people doing things you don't like. No one's forcing you, right? Don't worry about those who are partying and doing things you don't agree with. They have their own lessons to learn from the path they're own...if they don't end up dead first.

Focus on being the best you that you can be. Get hobbies you enjoy. Hang out with people who aren't into drinking, drugs and partying.

You're not religious, but your posts led me to believe that. I'm not religious, but I see the spiritual battle taking place. Those who are into all those worldly things will pay a price one way or another. They're making it easy for the devil to destroy/kill them. It's what he wants. Hopefully they will learn a better way.

Last edited:
There is LOADS of incredible electronic music being made. Aphex Twin is still active and performing just as good as he did in the 90s. We have The Knife and Fever Ray, Bjork, even Brian Eno is still going strong. There's James Holden making music that will come to be regarded as genius in the future, while new DJs keep rooting through the crates to put together incredible sets of everything from Techno and House to funk and soul. Mixcloud is a great way of listening to the new sounds. Log into YouTube and listen to some of your favourite albums, then keep an eye on the sidebar to see what affiliated recommendations its algorithms throw up - you'd be surprised how close to the mark they'll hit.

The Prodigy were hardly Saturday night 7pm mainstream TV...some of the Jilted Generation may have settled down with pipe and slippers but not all - in fact, they probably spend their money on vinyl instead of ecstasy these days but that doesn't mean the scene is dead. Make a bit of effort to find out what else is going on instead of looking over your shoulder with rose-tinted glasses. You'll never be happy that way.

And as for the hedonism...I hear the Hari Krishnas abstain from all sex outside of procreation.