• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Bupropion Interaction with Tramadol

FungousSneeze

Bluelighter
Im currently in acute opioid withdrawal and only have access to 50mg ultram tabs.

I take daily 200mg bupropion, 50mg trazadone and lastly 3200mg gabapentin.

I am aware of the seizure risk with bupropion interacting with tramadol. Im also aware that bupropion inhibits a liver enzyme prevents tramadol from converting to its more potent metabolite.

My question is has anyone been to able to get any relief from tramadol while on bupropion. Im fairly confident that the dose of gabapentin im taking will negate any seizure activity at therapeutic doses of both medications. Just mainly concerned about the metabolism of both medications.

I have searched everywhere and have not found anyone describing an experience of taking both medications concurrently with efficacious relief from tramadol. Mostly just warnings of harm reduction about seizures. Both doses i will be taking will remain in the therapeutic range. Not recreational. Again currently in withdrawal seeking relief

I apologize if this may have been accidentally posted twice as i am still new to navigating the forums.

You really need the tramadol to metabolize into o-desmethyltramadol. Therapeutic doses of tram will likely be worthless without the metabolism.

I mean, it may slightly be better than not taking it at all, maybe, but the seizure risk, even with the gabapentin, outweighs the benefit, if any.

Yea kind of what I expected. I ended up taking 150mg of tramadol and feel minimal relief. Albeit minimal its better than nothing. Definitely not the same as before bupropion.

Thinking about redosing another 100mg with 800mg of gabapentin. I think it may be a desperate risky attempt but the first dose got me out of bed and moving around and eating toast one and a half hours after taking it.

I am on day 2 withdrawling from 200-260mg oxycodone daily so it’s definitely better than nothing

Ill report back if i redose and have any success.

Just wanted to add that i took an additional 100mg with again, minimal effect. Just increase in nausea and snri effects.

Dont feel comfortable going any higher in the dose. I didnt want to believe it because i wanted to hold on to hope that i would have relief, but tramadol is practically useless while on bupropion.