• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Bupe Suboxone Dosing From Clinics

kingshawaiian

Greenlighter
So when I first got a script for subs my doctor put me on 2 8mg strips a day- even though I had been clean for awhile. Am I wrong to think thats a ridiculous amount?

yea don't take that much... he may have meant to split the 8mgs in half hence two pieces of it... 8mgs a day is a good dose

Way too much. Honestly you can probably just jump down 1/2 and still be mostly ok. Honestly 1 mg 2x a day was the best way I took it when I tried.

that dose is absurd for someone whose been off even just a few weeks. more like half a mg

It depends what you're using the buprenorphine for.

If your main concern is the blockade effect, preventing you from getting high off other opioids, 8mg/day is a good dose. Lower doses might work a little better in terms of subjective agonist like effects, but they won't work nearly as well as for blocking the effects of other opioids if it is below 8mg/day.

16mg/day is probably a little on the extreme side if you're worrying about blockage even though.

It also depends on how long you envision you want to stay on buprenorphine. If you want to get off it in 6-36 months from now, you'd probably make it easier on yourself taking 8mg rather than 16mg to start. That applies even more if you want to get off it within the next few months, as tapering will be a little more comfortable.

Other than the blockade issue the biggest concern is simply the OP feeling his buprenorphine keeps him well. Very rarely do I hear from people who really need more than 8mg/day to stay well, and often what's necessary is far less. But we're all different, and there are people who need over 8mg to feel okay. Just not very common.