• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

Mental Health SSRI stopped working ? Help.

raizanthelostone

Greenlighter
Hey guys, I was on sertraline for about 4 months taking 50mg-150 (changed at about 1 month intervals) but after really bad side effects from them and no change to my anxiety (GAD, Panic attack disorder and depression) or depressive nature my GP switched me over to Citalopram 40mg. At first these tablets were really working well for me, and I felt great, but I've been on them now for 2-3 months, and the past 3 weeks they have been losing their effectiveness. I am feeling anxious again and having panic attacks, crying spells and feeling very low and depressed and staying that way, having upset stomach, hot flushes, bad headaches, to name some. I was curious as to why this happens ? And if anyone has any advice. I just want to feel better and get on with my life as a normal person, and not have this feeling of anxiety and depression overwhelming me :(. I have been referred to my local mental health team (although I have been referred before and they rejected me), however I've been hallucinating swell sometimes (I took lots of LSD the past few months, haven't taken LSD for 2/3 months now and it made my anxiety and depression worst after stupid usage of it). Although I'm not expecting some certified medical advice on here, I was wondering if other have had this experience and if so what their GP/medical practitioner did, if they changed the to another SSRI or another form of antidepressant?

Thanks for reading. x

Usually if you go to the GP and tell them the current anti-depressant you're on isn't working for you, they'll either up your dose or try you on a different one. With 40mg being the highest daily dose of citalopram, your GP may suggest changing to a different medication.

With having anxiety/panic experiencing things like hot flushing, upset stomach and headaches are pretty common. With having axniety/panic attacks, your adrenaline levels rise, which makes you flush and can lead to feeling uneasy in the stomach. An of course being generally stressed out and tense, can cause headaches. Might be worth mentioning to your GP when you next see him/her. There are medications you can take, like certain beta-blockers, which help with stopping your adrenaline levels rising during panic/anxiety, which curb most of the symptoms you're describing. Might be something your GP is willing to prescribe you temporarily while you find an anti-depressant which works for you.

Hopefully your mental health team accepts the referral from your GP. They'll be able to point you in the right direction in terms of what talking therapies are available in your area or if they feel it appropriate to offer you an appointment with a Psychiatrist.

Good luck :)

Talk to a doctor or medical professional and tell them what you are experiencing, and ask what they would suggest or prescribe to you. Therapy along with taking an SSRI may be helpful to you. Good luck.

I agree with Priest that it sounds like you would really benefit from therapy along with a change in either medication or dosage. There is no pill in the world that can fully address depression--even though it may be chemical, it is also psychological.<3