• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

Mental Health How many years have you been seeing a psychologist / counsellor / psychiatrist?

Jabberwocky

Frumious Bandersnatch
This year has marked 20 years that I've been getting help for depression and anxiety or bi polar to be more specific. These last few months of seeing a psych have been non effective.

However recognising that it's been 20 years and I've now established some cycle of getting help through a professional when the times are tough it has made me ponder who else has been going through this for so long?

Did you break the cycle after a long time?

Did you get into an argument with a psych? I had one that refused to help any more unless if I went to rehab for my alcohol problem.

Any how would like to hear some stories just so that I don't feel alone.

Thanks.

I don't have near that much time, but I can honestly state that if you don't abuse drugs and try to work with them, and are doing exceptionally well, there may come a point whereby you and your therapist might choose to experiment with less frequent visits.

Close friends/family also helps.

Once in a while I will visit a psyc. I studied psyc in college so i know its just a bunch of BS and a way to make $200 or more per hour. Positive affirmations and a somewhat healthy lifestyle will help a lot.

Started at 7 years old seeing a therapist for trauma and it continued until I was 12. When I was twelwe I didnt have therapy but I had this, hmm, dont even know the english word for it. Its a person who works for the state, occasionally you see him or her, and that person can come to your home so you dont go to his workplace or anything. Its bit different than psychologist or psychiatric but aaanyways... Saw that person for that year. Then next 3 years I had occasional therapy, often I refused to go though. From 15-16 I had none but from 17 years to 23 I had constant sessions with the psychologists. Then I moved to Spain and now to Norway and havent had any since. Havent really seen much of a change either

Obviously this thread isn't very active, but I've seen psych docs on and off since my late teens, turned 33 at the end of last month. It's been years now since I've seen one, likely the longest I've gone since I began attempting to find help with what was diagnosed as Schizoaffective Disorder. So far I've not had much luck with prescribed meds as they are either super effective with lots of intolerable side-effects, or have zero effect, but without any of the side-effects. It sucks. The main symptom that gives me grief are the often sudden and unpredictable mood swings. Flying high one minute, down through the floor the next. I haven't done much research into what new meds or other treatments there might be now, but unless something major has changed, I believe I'll have to go out of town if I ever hope to find a quality doctor.

I've started seeing therapists in 1992. In 2000 I went to a rehab with a psychiatrist who told me he was afraid for his other patients and wouldn't admit me. I had shared that a month prior I had planned to kill 5 men but instead turned suicidal and only knocked myself out trying to od. He told me to go to an "emergency" shrink. Who told me I was just a spoiled brat.

I was finally referred by my doctor in 2006 to a wonderful doctor who specializes in women's health concerns. She told me that I suffer from Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder, Borderline Personality Disorder and PTSD (plus Depression, Anxiety and Addiction).

Thank God for her because she helped me to get properly medicated. Also, knowing I was borderline I attended a Dialectical Behavioural Therapy (twice). It helped as much as my meds. I deal with my emotions better now (or shut myself down if I'm in public).

I have a new Family Physician who doesn't believe I have BPD and when I tried to show him the 9 symptoms of BPD he told me he knew all about it. Meanwhile he thinks people with BPD are argumentative for the sake of arguing. The thing is he isn't messing with my pain meds so I want to keep him. (?)

I see my psychiatrist in February and I can't wait to see if there may be new medications that might help me even more. Plus I like my psychiatrist. She is really nice and never made me feel like I was the problem. Instead I feel that I have mental illness and I've worked really hard to try to learn to deal with life so that my mental illness causes as little damage as possible. (Although I'm not always successful).

Ah, that's life in the madhouse. Lol

Nah, I don't trust those bionics arms and them pills. They want to put you into society norms, and I really don't open up to strangers online at all, because it isn't in my standards but let me tell you something. At age 16, I was put into a mental institutions( asylum to be specific) not by parents(because I ran from home when I was little, long story)/ but by some people which found me and my friends sitting in a abandoned car near a train station, it was night and when I woke up, I didn't even know where I was( note: I was not kidnapped or anything it was a legal mental institution).

Later on some time passes and doctors came to me injecting me with some blue stuff( it was colored anyway) and they didn't put me to sleep but wrapped me in straitijacket and dragged me to a cabinet which I found out that Viktor Shikora turned to be a psychologist/psychiatrist and you know I was confused by the whole situation and wanted just to escape from there, but I started talking with him and that simple question that everyone ask ”why i'm here?”, he mentioned that they were looking to test something on patients but looking back into the situation, it was a asylum like you see in films( People dragging along the wall, talking with lounges, etc). Didn't had to be there too long since he already told me this(i was not scared but confused looking into a way to escape) back on the line, they put me in a wheelchair and just dumped me like a trash into my cell, luckily I wasn't inwrought.

Some night passes, I already seen a old man walking a stretcher with a dead/asleep guy on it and you know I was like.. where the fuck do i find something sharp to just cut my fuckin throat? You know here I got fuckin scared beside all the damn fucking screams I've heard all nights and things I have seen drawn on those walls, on the other side you can note I started to get friendly with some group there which played ping-pong and to just gather something i joined them, all good, they tell me that (this people here want to help you, they are good), what? I was fuckin angry and wanted to stab her fuckin veins with that ping-pong ball shit. Eh, anyway it's been already 3 weeks since I've been there and I started going crazy but I wanted to talk to Viktor, that psychiatrist. I had two plans( I escape through sewer system which i been told by Margaret that lady earlier who i've been played with her/group, or I just kill that fuckin doctor, take the keys & walk away) but that mental institution turned out to be a house in the end, in some hallways were a lot of paintings with different things that I used in my advantage( kids laughing at their parents been fucked, kids crying at their parents been killed, some weird mountains/beach pictures with a steam old man talking to a girl, a burning playground, they were just a lot of weird paintings, and fuck my life man.. if I look back at all those paintings they were a lot and getting weirder as you look at them, some of them moved.

Anyway what I've been known is that a special painting was a girl holding a papper in the right hand and a frog in the other singing something for a demon/spirits in a classroom, turned out to be Viktor daughter in the end and since I was knowing what's going on here, I wanted to look into something more problem was the guards, hyenas & dogs and some pacients which in my opinion I think they were friend with Viktor and the guards since they helped him during some operations( pacients, moving stuffs, etc) also relate around what's going on between the pacients to the stuff head. I just started to think here, i just want to escape I swear i just couldn't take it anymore, some nights i was fuckin beat myself screaming and talking to stuffs and also started to have hallucinations already and see things.

So, that old lady margaret died for some reason but her friend managed to get her stuff and also got some kinda old blueprint that was ragged and ruptured but I have remembered the doctor daughter painting and later on manage to get into the 9th hallway and pinched it and found the key to sewer system which was situated between some hone and just unlock it, going on into a basment after all and just runned and runned.. after few hours I was like where the fuck i'm now and how long does thing goes on? 2 days per total finally managed to get to a river and turned out I was in mother Russia, from US to north.

Now i'm not saying psychiatrist/psychologist are bad but they are just people who put you on pills and per total they don't care about you at all, I personally hate and I would fuckin kill if i see another one again, even if they're legal hired. Also till today I didn't have heard a single news from those friends.. but you have to move on with the life

Last edited by a moderator:
10 years or so. I was court ordered for 5 years to take medication after leaving the forensic hospital (jail for criminally insane/incompetent to stand trial.) I still take seroquel and neurontin for medication but might start taking abilify again. I might stop seeing the psychiatrist because they are pushing haldol shots on me and I have a problem with injectable meds (bad experiences with some other ones so I don't trust the haldol.)

Since I was 15, am 36 now. But only in the past year have I finally found a Therpist I feel has been helping me. Otherwise was always just psychiatrists and medication management.

I've seen them off and on through out my life beginning at early childhood. Haven't been to one in a while but wish I could afford a good one. I've come to the conclusion that the-rapists pretty much all suck. The good ones don't take insurance. Here's the thing, you don't learn to be a good therapist in school. You either have it or you don't. The degrees just allow you to practice. Most are just con artists trying to convince you they know something, really nice people who will just be a compassionate listener but not offer anything, or people who literally are collecting a paycheck and will fall asleep right in the middle of your session.