View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

LSD and The Grateful Dead

Delsyd

Bluelight Crew
I found this on posted on Facebook and thought I’d share. A lot of this is common knowledge, especially for those in this particular sub culture. I feel lucky to have gotten to experience the tail end of this epic era.
Enjoy.
We talked about The Brotherhood starting the 60s, and Rainbow family in the 70s. Then, in the 80s, we saw the emergence of another crew: GDF. Grateful Dead Family. GDF is an anarchistic group with tribal elders, more like Rainbow Family than The Brotherhood. Arguably the original, and most famous, members were The Wrecking Crew, Fast Eddy and his friends. (See my post about Fast Eddy and the WC.) I would say the most famous facet of the GDF crew is the LSD thumbprinting initiation ritual.

Normally, I wouldnt even talk about this, but, apparently someone wrote a book about the scene last year. Its called 'Heads: A Biography of Psychedelic America,' and it was written by Jesse Jarnow. (Haha what a name, "jar... now! lol). You can buy it on Amazon. Everything in here you can find there, so its all public knowledge now.

So, who is the Grateful Dead Family?

In today's scene, there are always people who claim to represent the Grateful Dead Family. Just go to any jamband festival and you'll meet half a dozen of them in the parking lot alone. But the GDF are not a unified group, rather one of the many cliques in an increasingly anarchistic tapestry of crews.

Very little has been written about the story of LSD and it's role in the Grateful Dead culture, post-1970's (after LSD was illegalized, see my post about Psychotropic Substances Act of 1971). Enter Jesse Jarnow's new book, Heads, published in the winter of 2016. Relying on a great deal of research and interviews with various acid chemists and high-level suppliers, he was able to tap into the spine (har har) of the connection between the Grateful Dead and LSD.

According to Jarnow, and others (like SWIM, but I’ll get to him later), Grateful Dead concerts were the country's primary network for LSD distribution up until the 1990s. The book does not directly address the legend of the GDF and the thumbprint, but Jarnow was gracious enough to clarify in later publications (so people like me don’t have to sound like we are making this shit up!).

The LSD network surrounding the Grateful Dead existed as a part of the larger subculture of the band and their fans. For three decades, the band toured relentlessly, playing a different set of songs each night. Dedicated heads would travel across the country, to attend every single show. An ecosystem evolved around the concerts. Pre- and post-show tailgating evolved into a carnival bazaar of VW buses, drum circles, tie-dye, and the occasional naked dude running around yelling about God. To pay for the journey, many people sold simple foods and beer as well as home-made T-shirts and artwork decorated with Grateful Dead-themed iconography (or acid...). (We call it "the lot.")

The scene was colorful, wild and weird. In addition to countless tnagers and college students making the trip as a coming-of-age adventure, Grateful Dead shows served as a magnet for the country's fringes. It was in this swirling marketplace and social scene that the LSD dealers flourished.

When the Grateful Dead went to Iowa, LSD would show up in Iowa. I used to think acid has seasonal when I was a kid. Now I know it was just the ebb and flow of the GD tour… but in fact, it was that high-level and low-level dealers went on tour, following the band just like thousands of other Deadheads. At any given Dead show, you could easily buy individual hits as well as sheets of acid (one hundred hits per sheet). Those in the know might even acquire grams of raw crystal -- powdered LSD straight from the lab (one gram equaling ten thousand doses at standard dilution rates).

Dead shows also served as a meeting point for all kind of dealers. In a lot of cases, Dead shows were the social network for distribution that would happen through other channels, like the mail.

It was just a bunch of people doing this in kind of a loose configuration, informally connected in this sort of holistic way. The process was cell-like, with fluid cliques of people moving in and around each other, and around Grateful Dead concerts, just like with The Brotherhood. Sometimes the dealing process was so decentralized as to be nearly anonymous. The biggest dealer sometimes didn't even know the real names of the people they bought crystal from (see my post about the Brotherhood for details on Triage method.)

That was part of the anarchistic structure that kept these scene alive. It's hard to call them rules, but it there are certain practices that GDF engaged in -- one of which is using Earth Names so you dont even know the names of the people above you, for example. This degree of anonymity worked to protect the chain of dealers. It's hard to get busted when no one knows your name!

Mega-doses, or what you might call a thumbprint, were in fact another loose practice. For those with surplus supply, dipping a finger -- a thumb even! -- into a bag of raw crystal was not uncommon. Amazingly, a few dealer cliques were not content with merely eating raw crystal, preferring to snort it instead. But as for a formal thumbprint initiation, it’s not common. I had to do it (see my post about this a few months ago), but when I did it, the gram was compressed and so (basically) nothing got on my thumb and it didn’t even have an effect. (Key point, make them lick their finger first…).

Jarnow even explained ergotamine tartrate. (ET phone home!)

“There was this group of very secretive people who were able to acquire the precursor, mostly in Europe, but by the 1990s there was just this one guy left." (Yikes! Not supposed to say that broham…)

He goes on to say that this lone ET supplier was responsible for the ‘acid drought' of the early 21st century.’ (Not Pickard’s bust in 2000… seems dubious). Regardless, he links “well-documented acid drought" to the Grateful Dead LSD ecosystem. No argument there…

There is still invariably LSD available at GD shows, no one debates that, but he contends the heady days of yonder are gone, with Jamband concerts now one of many public gatherings where LSD can be found. Burning Man, electronic dance music, and the festival circuit -- not to mention the proliferation of Internet-based drug sales on the Dark Web -- make for even more decentralization.

http://www.furious.com/perfect/gratefuldeadlsd.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heads:_A_Biography_of_Psychedelic_America

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B017QL8UJ8/

Last such CD scene at which I bought acid was last Mad Sq Garden concerts <Jerry died

I found this on posted on Facebook and thought I’d share. A lot of this is common knowledge, especially for those in this particular sub culture. I feel lucky to have gotten to experience the tail end of this epic era.
Enjoy.
We talked about The Brotherhood starting the 60s, and Rainbow family in the 70s. Then, in the 80s, we saw the emergence of another crew: GDF. Grateful Dead Family. GDF is an anarchistic group with tribal elders, more like Rainbow Family than The Brotherhood. Arguably the original, and most famous, members were The Wrecking Crew, Fast Eddy and his friends. (See my post about Fast Eddy and the WC.) I would say the most famous facet of the GDF crew is the LSD thumbprinting initiation ritual.

Normally, I wouldnt even talk about this, but, apparently someone wrote a book about the scene last year. Its called 'Heads: A Biography of Psychedelic America,' and it was written by Jesse Jarnow. (Haha what a name, "jar... now! lol). You can buy it on Amazon. Everything in here you can find there, so its all public knowledge now.

So, who is the Grateful Dead Family?

In today's scene, there are always people who claim to represent the Grateful Dead Family. Just go to any jamband festival and you'll meet half a dozen of them in the parking lot alone. But the GDF are not a unified group, rather one of the many cliques in an increasingly anarchistic tapestry of crews.

Very little has been written about the story of LSD and it's role in the Grateful Dead culture, post-1970's (after LSD was illegalized, see my post about Psychotropic Substances Act of 1971). Enter Jesse Jarnow's new book, Heads, published in the winter of 2016. Relying on a great deal of research and interviews with various acid chemists and high-level suppliers, he was able to tap into the spine (har har) of the connection between the Grateful Dead and LSD.

According to Jarnow, and others (like SWIM, but I’ll get to him later), Grateful Dead concerts were the country's primary network for LSD distribution up until the 1990s. The book does not directly address the legend of the GDF and the thumbprint, but Jarnow was gracious enough to clarify in later publications (so people like me don’t have to sound like we are making this shit up!).

The LSD network surrounding the Grateful Dead existed as a part of the larger subculture of the band and their fans. For three decades, the band toured relentlessly, playing a different set of songs each night. Dedicated heads would travel across the country, to attend every single show. An ecosystem evolved around the concerts. Pre- and post-show tailgating evolved into a carnival bazaar of VW buses, drum circles, tie-dye, and the occasional naked dude running around yelling about God. To pay for the journey, many people sold simple foods and beer as well as home-made T-shirts and artwork decorated with Grateful Dead-themed iconography (or acid...). (We call it "the lot.")

The scene was colorful, wild and weird. In addition to countless tnagers and college students making the trip as a coming-of-age adventure, Grateful Dead shows served as a magnet for the country's fringes. It was in this swirling marketplace and social scene that the LSD dealers flourished.

When the Grateful Dead went to Iowa, LSD would show up in Iowa. I used to think acid has seasonal when I was a kid. Now I know it was just the ebb and flow of the GD tour… but in fact, it was that high-level and low-level dealers went on tour, following the band just like thousands of other Deadheads. At any given Dead show, you could easily buy individual hits as well as sheets of acid (one hundred hits per sheet). Those in the know might even acquire grams of raw crystal -- powdered LSD straight from the lab (one gram equaling ten thousand doses at standard dilution rates).

Dead shows also served as a meeting point for all kind of dealers. In a lot of cases, Dead shows were the social network for distribution that would happen through other channels, like the mail.

It was just a bunch of people doing this in kind of a loose configuration, informally connected in this sort of holistic way. The process was cell-like, with fluid cliques of people moving in and around each other, and around Grateful Dead concerts, just like with The Brotherhood. Sometimes the dealing process was so decentralized as to be nearly anonymous. The biggest dealer sometimes didn't even know the real names of the people they bought crystal from (see my post about the Brotherhood for details on Triage method.)

That was part of the anarchistic structure that kept these scene alive. It's hard to call them rules, but it there are certain practices that GDF engaged in -- one of which is using Earth Names so you dont even know the names of the people above you, for example. This degree of anonymity worked to protect the chain of dealers. It's hard to get busted when no one knows your name!

Mega-doses, or what you might call a thumbprint, were in fact another loose practice. For those with surplus supply, dipping a finger -- a thumb even! -- into a bag of raw crystal was not uncommon. Amazingly, a few dealer cliques were not content with merely eating raw crystal, preferring to snort it instead. But as for a formal thumbprint initiation, it’s not common. I had to do it (see my post about this a few months ago), but when I did it, the gram was compressed and so (basically) nothing got on my thumb and it didn’t even have an effect. (Key point, make them lick their finger first…).

Jarnow even explained ergotamine tartrate. (ET phone home!)

“There was this group of very secretive people who were able to acquire the precursor, mostly in Europe, but by the 1990s there was just this one guy left." (Yikes! Not supposed to say that broham…)

He goes on to say that this lone ET supplier was responsible for the ‘acid drought' of the early 21st century.’ (Not Pickard’s bust in 2000… seems dubious). Regardless, he links “well-documented acid drought" to the Grateful Dead LSD ecosystem. No argument there…

There is still invariably LSD available at GD shows, no one debates that, but he contends the heady days of yonder are gone, with Jamband concerts now one of many public gatherings where LSD can be found. Burning Man, electronic dance music, and the festival circuit -- not to mention the proliferation of Internet-based drug sales on the Dark Web -- make for even more decentralization.

http://www.furious.com/perfect/gratefuldeadlsd.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heads:_A_Biography_of_Psychedelic_America

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B017QL8UJ8/

Bought 1 hit to test.

If I was going to get a sheet from him, dealer wanted me to show the hit in my mouth. No prob. Hit was good. Est. @100 mcg. Felt super clean. Met@ my apt. for sheet purchase. Dealer's girlfriend held acid in container on lanyard, round neck, to make cursory frisk less likely to find. They were still concerned I was law enforcement, saying even those with dreds have been found to be narcs. But was able to purchase, but only 1 sheet (thonk was like $150, though, since I liked to give away acid - I never had re-sold any I'd purchased - I tried to get the net cost down to less than a dollar, per est. 100 mcg.) dealer saying he had no more sheets for sale, but perhaps at next CD show, asking if I was going.

Said he knew chemist, that they used orange peels as growth medium & did a final triple separation, which accounted for the very fine purity of the product.

Took his #. Later, wired $ for another few sheets. He either meant to rip me off or got spooked.

That sheet lasted a LONG time. I invented micro-dosing (ha, ha) using that acid, estimating 16-20 mcg., based on presumed 100 mcg., but took as many as 15 full hits, at once.

Heard of thumbprint, back then.

Can't imagine the dose that might be in terms of micrograms!

Rita Prell

Last edited:
Thanks Delsyd on this Thanksgiving Day. I am thankful I got 16 years of shows. I always take the GD with me on my excursions. :) Important stuff.

I was "there" since 1965. the year after the bus ride to the East.

Thumbprints and the whole "dick sizing" aspect or "proof of memberships" is anachronistic with all of my experience.

The Prankster and subsequent "Deadhead" community were not all about anarchism, because that is all about political involvement. We were all about a new beginning and turning our back on all the political nonsense that has happened and has poisoned humanity. Perhaps you should re-read "The Electric Koolaid Acid Test", particularly the chapter: The Frozen Jug Band.

Quote the "CHIEF" "You're just playing their game."

Just walk away.

This
was the spirit of the Dead tours. Wooden Ships

Not a protest. "Super People at the shores leave us be ... Free and Easy"

Much love to all ...

The Grateful Dead and LSD have an association. I got to see the dead the last two years and stayed on the farm both times. I went to my first Rainbow Gathering in 1997 and again in 2007. They are beautiful experiences. Seen a variety of Furthur Festivals and all of the post Garcia incarnations. Everyone has to trip acid and listen to their record "Anthem Of The Sun.". After I did, I had to hear all the other recordings!

I saw Tim Leary speak in 1994, afterwards I asked him questions, got his autograph Im looking at now and he asked me to hang with him and drink beer. I stupidly told him I had school early and had to go. That was a big mistake I feel.

I was "there" since 1965. the year after the bus ride to the East.

Thumbprints and the whole "dick sizing" aspect or "proof of memberships" is anachronistic with all of my experience.

The Prankster and subsequent "Deadhead" community were not all about anarchism, because that is all about political involvement. We were all about a new beginning and turning our back on all the political nonsense that has happened and has poisoned humanity. Perhaps you should re-read "The Electric Koolaid Acid Test", particularly the chapter: The Frozen Jug Band.

Quote the "CHIEF" "You're just playing their game."

Just walk away.

This
was the spirit of the Dead tours. Wooden Ships

Not a protest. "Super People at the shores leave us be ... Free and Easy"

Much love to all ...

Potentially sorry here, haven't read that book so maybe they reference the song and twist the lyrics and that's what you're referring to but Wooden Ships is about nuclear war and those "super people" are actually silver people. Men dressed in suits intended to protect them from the harmful radiation surrounding them.

That is the literal story. There is a meaning behind it. You couldn't say things straight out or it would be censored back then.
BTW the song refers to what was happened in the book, not the other way around, my friend.

And the start of the Grateful Dead is the Merry Pranksters and our Acid Tests.

Perhaps you should re-read "The Electric Koolaid Acid Test", particularly the chapter: The Frozen Jug Band.

I love that book. I heard when Tom Wolf showed up to talk to some pranksters he was in a white suit and they were using day glo paint on things and looked at him and smiled. I believe I heard Mountain Girl say that in an interview. :)

I wasn't there at that time, but I remember the story, JackARoe.

As to the original post, there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that the Dead Tours were the nexus for spreading both the "word" and the LSD due to the community that was attracted to it.

That is the literal story. There is a meaning behind it. You couldn't say things straight out or it would be censored back then.
BTW the song refers to what was happened in the book, not the other way around, my friend.

And the start of the Grateful Dead is the Merry Pranksters and our Acid Tests.

You might be interested in this, White Rose - not that long before Ken Kesey died, I had contact with him, by email, wherein he said that around Easter, they would go into the woods on 75 micrograms of acid ("just enough to make the leaves on the trees dapple..." is how he put it). (I also referred to myself as a "Psychedelic Christian," to which, to my surprise, he responded that he considered himself the same.)

Yes, as an unintended marketing scheme, the synergy turned on a lot of people.

I wasn't there at that time, but I remember the story, JackARoe.

As to the original post, there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that the Dead Tours were the nexus for spreading both the "word" and the LSD due to the community that was attracted to it.

I agree. Around the time that The Dead would come through, any acid drought would be ended.

The dealer I mention in my post was completely credible, so, while I usually tended to doubt, when someone said that they were pretty close to or knew the chemist, the specificity with which he described things and the quality of the acid convinced me that, in meeting him, I was only a few steps from the source, which is what led me to trust - and hope - enough to wire money, once he reached the next show, out of town from NYC, in order to build up personal and give-away staff, risking a few hundred dollars.

I love that book. I heard when Tom Wolf showed up to talk to some pranksters he was in a white suit and they were using day glo paint on things and looked at him and smiled. I believe I heard Mountain Girl say that in an interview. :)

Yes, he was famous for that trademark white suit.

Reportedly, he never partook of the acid, himself, though.