• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

drug free 1 month

I just read a very interesting article on depression--chronic depression, written by a person that lived with it for over 25 years (starting in childhood). Here is the link:https://www.fastcompany.com/40527184/everyones-miserable-heres-why-and-what-we-can-do-about-it

This is merely an article about the book--I have yet to read the book. I would be very interested to know what others think. To me, it reinforced much of what I have come to believe over time.

Very interesting article indeed, I share the same view with the writer. I am not blaming the society for anything, it just is what it is and I don't see a future for myself in this mad world.

My depression is caused by thing I have done and not loved doing it, I know that anybody is "free" to do anything, but in a real world it just doesn't go like that.

I watched this documentary on people that lived thru jumping off the golden gate bridge which is quite a few people actually.
And the number one thing they all said separate from another cause they were doing these interviews separate from one another, is that the moment they jumped, all the things that had been bothering them and making them so depressed to the point of jumping seemed so small and nothing compared to the gravity of what they had just done which was end their life.
We might think things are big or we have no meaning in life but it's such an ego driven idea. You might. It ever know why you were born. You might have changed someone's life for the better and you don't even know it.
I'm not gonna say you matter and you have all these things to give in life and your here for a reason. Thats not my knowledge or do I have the capacity to know that. What I do know and it's cliche but true, suicide is a permanent end to a temporary problem.

Good day, OP. I am brand spanking new to these forums as of an hour ago.

I'm wondering how you're doing today, and if you're having continued suicidal thoughts.

Good day, OP. I am brand spanking new to these forums as of an hour ago.

I'm wondering how you're doing today, and if you're having continued suicidal thoughts.

Hi there and welcome. Well I am not having suicidal thoughts so to speak, I will end my life, it is a decision I have made.

I know for a fact that I have changed somebody's life for better, as I also know I have changed somebody's life to worse. That is not the reason for me leaving this life though, It is because of the nothingness I've been living in for a long time,and because of the nothingness that will continue in my life up to a point where life ends.

Hi there and welcome. Well I am not having suicidal thoughts so to speak, I will end my life, it is a decision I have made.

I know for a fact that I have changed somebody's life for better, as I also know I have changed somebody's life to worse. That is not the reason for me leaving this life though, It is because of the nothingness I've been living in for a long time,and because of the nothingness that will continue in my life up to a point where life ends.

I have to say, I'm really saddened by this. That's of course not meant as some cheap-ass guilt tactic, and really who cares if some random guy shows up on your thread to say so, right?

I feel for you because I have been in that place. And the sort of peaceful acceptance you're displaying about your decision is no more benign than if you were raging and not lucid about it, even if you don't think that it is. They're most certainly suicidal thoughts, brother. Whether you've accepted your own dialogue or not.

When one reaches the dark recess of the mind in which you're currently residing, the "mission" or feelings are absolute. No one can argue with that. It would appear you've made up your mind and have decided that this "nothingness" is powerful enough that it outweighs your instinct to survive.

Since you are feeling "nothingness", would it not be possible to give it a go for say a year. Keep plugging along. One foot in front of the other. Try, if not for yourself, to take what you've learned from your own tragedies and put that wisdom forth in the pursuit of making yet a few more people's lives better., since you've already done so with one. This is clearly something of importance to you, or I don't think you'd have conveyed it to us.

Since death might well be the ultimate "nothingness" in your opinion, but without pain, would it be fair to say that having "nothingness" coupled with the achievements of having pushed forward and made a difference in the lives of others be a "better nothingness"?

Again, I don't say any of this as some know it all who is trying to shove my nose in here and alter your course, but when one of my brothers is in this much distress, it guts me. Just want to have a dialogue with you, that's all.

I have to say, I'm really saddened by this. That's of course not meant as some cheap-ass guilt tactic, and really who cares if some random guy shows up on your thread to say so, right?

I feel for you because I have been in that place. And the sort of peaceful acceptance you're displaying about your decision is no more benign than if you were raging and not lucid about it, even if you don't think that it is. They're most certainly suicidal thoughts, brother. Whether you've accepted your own dialogue or not.

When one reaches the dark recess of the mind in which you're currently residing, the "mission" or feelings are absolute. No one can argue with that. It would appear you've made up your mind and have decided that this "nothingness" is powerful enough that it outweighs your instinct to survive.

Since you are feeling "nothingness", would it not be possible to give it a go for say a year. Keep plugging along. One foot in front of the other. Try, if not for yourself, to take what you've learned from your own tragedies and put that wisdom forth in the pursuit of making yet a few more people's lives better., since you've already done so with one. This is clearly something of importance to you, or I don't think you'd have conveyed it to us.

Since death might well be the ultimate "nothingness" in your opinion, but without pain, would it be fair to say that having "nothingness" coupled with the achievements of having pushed forward and made a difference in the lives of others be a "better nothingness"?

Again, I don't say any of this as some know it all who is trying to shove my nose in here and alter your course, but when one of my brothers is in this much distress, it guts me. Just want to have a dialogue with you, that's all.

I know what you are saying, I do and I appreciate highly that you are a good human being. I have waited that year already, and longer, and that wears you out...totally...until you reach the point where I am now, some people just can't be fixed.

This nothingness I live in now, is unbearable, none of us really knows what death brings but whatever it is, I'll take my chances.

Of course I think about people that care about me, but I also know that they will be okay, takes time of course but they'll survive and have good memories about me. When I entered stage 5 in depression, it was all clear and calm for me, so those suicidal thoughts I have passed already and now it's only acceptance and wait for the transfer to the other side.

You know all these people are being nice and trying to help you. Everybody goes thru shit in life. Way worse then what you been thru or going thru or whatever. But you know what, they maned up and pulled thru it. So stop this shit and sack up and be a man and defeat something you think is so much bigger then you.

You know all these people are being nice and trying to help you. Everybody goes thru shit in life. Way worse then what you been thru or going thru or whatever. But you know what, they maned up and pulled thru it. So stop this shit and sack up and be a man and defeat something you think is so much bigger then you.

I know people are being nice and trying to help, people are different though and I am not going to argue with you for downplaying me and my decision even though you know nothing about me, so you man up and stop downplaying people.

When you think about how unique people are it's quite amazing. Of all the ends that came to happen for your life to come in existence. Even before if you think about how the earth came to be, people are inherently the most unique thing walking around. The odds of winning the lottery are probably way easier then being a human. And the human experience is just indescribable. It makes me sad to hear about shit like this. I was just watching a video with this 25 year of woman who had 6 months to live because of cancer she had just found out about a few weeks before and she is sitting there asking the public to pray for her and her family of which there was a husband and two young daughters. She's sitting there crying thinking about all the shit she is gonna miss out on. Then we have people like this who just want to end their life cause of something so fuckin small, it makes me sick. I don't even really care what your going thru cause it's not worth ending life for period. Life is an experience, not an event. Things come and go and happen and don't happen. We succeed and fail. But it's life. How dare someone take that into their own hands when you have people dying who would trade places with you in a second because they actually understand the gravity of their ending

When you think about how unique people are it's quite amazing. Of all the ends that came to happen for your life to come in existence. Even before if you think about how the earth came to be, people are inherently the most unique thing walking around. The odds of winning the lottery are probably way easier then being a human. And the human experience is just indescribable. It makes me sad to hear about shit like this. I was just watching a video with this 25 year of woman who had 6 months to live because of cancer she had just found out about a few weeks before and she is sitting there asking the public to pray for her and her family of which there was a husband and two young daughters. She's sitting there crying thinking about all the shit she is gonna miss out on. Then we have people like this who just want to end their life cause of something so fuckin small, it makes me sick. I don't even really care what your going thru cause it's not worth ending life for period. Life is an experience, not an event. Things come and go and happen and don't happen. We succeed and fail. But it's life. How dare someone take that into their own hands when you have people dying who would trade places with you in a second because they actually understand the gravity of their ending

Something so fucking small? You really seem to know me better than anyone on this forum so let's hear it then, tell me exactly why I've been through?

I do have another response I'd like to post to this. It is however, quite a long one. And if this is going to simply be met with a "meh, I've already made up my mind", then I'll refrain, O.P.

Should I post, or would you prefer not, O.P.?

OP, I support your right to end your physical existence. I do believe we all have that right. I also firmly believe that few of us actually have the will to carry out that right. The decision to die, like the decision to live, is the most private and personal decision. They both involve incredible uncertainty. You cannot know where life will take you, what advances may be made in science, medicine and even cultural revolutions that may affect profoundly how you feel about life. You also cannot know if your beliefs about death are founded in any truth at all. No one understands consciousness. Not one of us can make that claim though everyone wants to from the religious to atheists and everything in between.

What I would have you consider is this. There is a part of you that wants human connection and interaction. By starting this dialogue, you invite the opinions of others. No one is going to encourage you to die because we know nothing about your circumstances nor the very personal source of your despair at life and add to that that many of us here have been seriously suicidal at some point on our lives and have discovered an unexpected release from those feelings not to mention a "new lease on life". One thing we do not ever get is a crystal ball.;)

There is one thing I am going to suggest and it comes from my own experience. Have you considered a life dedicated to helping others as a way to sidestep the very black and white choice between existence and non-existence? The night of the day I discovered my son's dead body, I left my husband and other son and the friends that had gathered in our home and told them I needed to go back to his apartment. I stood in that absence and "knew" I had to follow him. I went north of town, to a cliff I know very well and stood with my toes over the edge. It was my older son, a son who still (unless he ever reads this) has no knowledge of that act, who literally, though psychically, pulled me back, pushed me step by step back to my car, pressed the gas pedal back to town where I sat facing my lit windows and looking from the outside in. I decided to live, not for myself--I could have easily gone as I felt the same peace you are experiencing within the thought of death. Instead, I agreed with myself to live for him primarily, but for my husband and mother and sister and my students and all the people in the world that like my son were themselves experiencing the painful aspects of being alive. Could you say to yourself, "OK, I'll dedicate the rest of the time this body has to saving a species on the brink? To making life better for one person you love or for an abandoned animal? It is a powerful thing to be able to see that you can transform your own pain by connecting to another's. I cannot claim to be so selfless that I live only for others but it most certainly was the vehicle that pulled me back into life and not only that but connected me much more profoundly to life than I have ever experienced since early childhood. At least check it out in whatever way fits in your life.

Perhaps your will to end it will persist stronger than anything else, but use this thread to explore the part of you that simply wants your emptiness to die. That emptiness fluctuates throughout life. It is the void that we all fear while living but embrace in our thoughts when we imagine dying. Again, I would point out that whatever you believe death is is simply belief constructed by a living brain. The way I look at it is that life has certainly been one surprise after another so death more than likely will be as well. I come from a pretty vague belief system that was born of early use of psychedelics which tends to give a person a very open mind about the nature of consciousness. I know what human consciousness looks like while in the body, but I cannot claim to know what it will look like--if anything--from the other side.

One last thought: this level of suicidal ideation (where there is a calm acceptance, even a feeling of freedom and security) may be our mind's attempt at giving us a desperately needed resting place. Fatalistic thinking is exhausting and draining and is truly the snake swallowing forever its own tail. We have powerful, powerful minds and it would not surprise me in the least to find this is actually an act of self preservation.

I'll also say that your loved ones will never be able to escape the pain your ending things will cause them. Of course over time it will get easier, but it will always be there. Especially for your parents...