• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Solubility of Ca(OH)2 in ethyl acetate

clubcard

Bluelighter
Has anyone got the solubility data of calcium hydroxide in ethyl acetate (and ethyl formate if you have it). I don't have the organometallic DB on Reaxys and I'm damned if I'm paying for 1 piece of information my son wants for school!

I'm not really sure about this one, as we don't typically handle even moderately advanced chemistry stuff here in BDD. I'm going to transfer this over to Neuroscience and Pharmacology, as they know a lot more about this than I do, but it might be a better idea to consult a dedicated chemistry forum, especially if this is for purely scholastic purposes.

BDD->Neuroscience

Insoluble!

Even in very polar solvent like water, it is only 1.7-1.8g/litre
In ethanol it is very insoluble (albeit little ethoxide will be formed) and acetone it is insoluble.

Ethyl acetate and ethyl formate is even lower polarity, i dont think it will have any appreciable solubility...

Last edited:
Insoluble!

Even in very polar solvent like water, it is only 1.7-1.8g/litre
In ethanol it is very insoluble (albeit little ethoxide will be formed) and acetone it is insoluble.

Ethyl acetate and ethyl formate is even lower polarity, i dont think it will have any appreciable solubility...

That is what I presumed but I have a mock GCSE paper with this on it. I know glycerol and a few other things enhance solubility but that kind of data isn't for 15YOs. I will query it. Thanks.

^
Polydentate “hard” nucleophile can chelate calcium enhancing solubility, but this doesnt seem to be the case for your ethyl formate and ethyl acetate.

Insoluble indeed. (no?) Physics was my main subject but I got my share of chemistry, ended up with a Phd. in Philosophy of Science... Though it's all farther away, except the Physics and Philosophy part, then it used to be... Too bad actually, but you can't keep everything up... Luckily I didn't suffer any brain damage yet from drug abuse that could compromise my main job... (which is all Physics and Philosophy and Science in general)

Last edited: