• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

Mental Health OCD/anxiety/agoraphobia with fear of kidney stones and health.

I

IDrinkLotsofWater

hello, I'm new in this forum so here it goes.

I'm simply anxious about kidney stones, I heard horror stories about them, I'm afraid of getting one, what can I do?

I have been to see a medical doctor and was checked out and they said how I am healthy and not really at risk for them.

The idea that I could have one is a lot of anxiety to me, and the pain which I have heard is really horrible and the worst ever, and hearing about the surgery for it in great detail. I have heard horror stories from friends and distant relatives about how the pain is akin to being literally stabbed/gutted with a knife and that it basically makes you want to die.

I've avoided going out in public since I worry/get anxiety or obsessively think about that I could have one at any time.

I was checked out by a doctor, had bloodwork done, and everything is normal. My doctor told me how this is related to my anxiety/OCD and that it's an irrational thought/fear. I am seeing a therapist and taking medication and both help, but I still get worried about them in the back of my mind.

I also drink a lot of water, and drink coffee and tea in low amounts, as well as drinking lemon juice in water at times. I looked up a list of foods to avoid that can cause kidney stones like nuts, or dark green vegetables like spinach and other leafy greens and I avoid eating them.

About 4 years ago I was not like this at all, went out a lot, didn't worry about kidney stones, etc. Then I had multiple family members die, and a close relative had to go through two intense major surgeries (not related to kidney stones/the kidneys at all), the older medication I was on stopped working, and I had to stop seeing the therapist who I was seeing at the time and did not go back to therapy until now.

My therapist knows all of this. I just started seeing a therapist after not seeing one for awhile. The old therapist I was seeing I took a break from since I had family issues. Then I couldn't go back as a patient, not because I did something wrong but because this therapist now only works with people who have health issues that do not apply to me at all.

I also read on a site that eating meat can cause kidney stones? I eat small portions of meat; but I mainly eat fruit, vegetables, and whole grains.

As I wrote my above post I have seen a doctor and was given bloodwork/urine test, and a physical and everything is fine. My doctor said how I am having irrational thoughts/obsessions related to anxiety/OCD. It may be irrational but it makes sense to me in a way?

I am NOT anorexic or bulimic. I have been to see a doctor and other medical professionals and have been checked out. I just avoid eating foods that can cause some people to get kidney stones like spinach or leafy greens.

Is is true that most people do not get kidney stones at all? They do not run in my family.

I just started zoloft at 50mg two weeks ago and it worked great and I didn't worry at all about my health or about the idea/fear of kidney stones and I was actually able to go out and be fine. I told my doctor all of what I wrote above and they said I should take 75mg of zoloft instead of 50mg.

Is anyone else here on bluelight like this with irrational fears, agoraphobia, and OCD?

That’s great that you’re seeing a therapist. I practice mindfulness a lot with my therapist. I’m doing CBT. Hope that helps. Mindfulness helps me out a lot.