• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Xanax and alcohol

dudunabo2002

Greenlighter
A friend of mine has had a xanax and alcohol overdose. He was taken to the hospital as soon as his sister noticed the OD, and now he seems to be fine at the hospital. What issues will he face afterwards? Is he going to have a bad withdraw from xanax? Has his liver been permanently demaged?

How long and at what dose have you been taking Xanax?

Whether you have liver damage or any other damage will be for the doctors to decide. If you are starting to experience withdrawals tell the doctors and they will give you a benzo to stop the withdrawals.

We definitely cannot tell you anything like the extent of the damage that has or has not been done by this misadventure. The only people who should be doing this are the doctors caring for the person.

He will only withdraw from Alprazolam (Xanax) if he has been using it on a chronic basis. You don't typically experience any kind of negative symptoms from Benzodiazepine use until they have been being used for at least a few weeks.

I think any kind of physical damage would come a lot more from chronic, heavy drinking than benzos. I'm talking mainly about hepatic (liver) damage like cirhosiss (scarring of the liver) and the like. How often and how much does he drink, and for how long? Is he a long time, chronic alcoholic? The withdrawls from benzos and alcohol can both land you in the hospital (both are usually treated with a benzo ween, lorazepam/Ativan seems to be the most popular choice in hospitals in the U.S.). Generally, alcohol, benzo, and barbiturate WDs are the ones they will hospitalize you for. Go to an ER in opioid WDs and they will send you home (rather cruel in my book, as well as dangerous. They say opioid WDs aren't life threatening. Ask Jerry Garcia about that. Oh, that's right, you can't because he died from NOT doing heroin by checking into a lock down, sweat it out rehab instead of a medicated, pamper you rehab which he could easily afford, while in poor health from diabetes, heart disease, various health complications like being overweight and getting old, etc...).

Keif' Richards and the others are right in saying that only doctors can tell, with a battery of tests, what, if any, permanent damage has been done. It sounds kinda weird that he required hospitalization for Xanax and booze. Did he just pass out and his sister thought he was in danger, or was the guy turning blue?

I think any kind of physical damage would come a lot more from chronic, heavy drinking than benzos. I'm talking mainly about hepatic (liver) damage like cirhosiss (scarring of the liver) and the like. How often and how much does he drink, and for how long? Is he a long time, chronic alcoholic? The withdrawls from benzos and alcohol can both land you in the hospital (both are usually treated with a benzo ween, lorazepam/Ativan seems to be the most popular choice in hospitals in the U.S.). Generally, alcohol, benzo, and barbiturate WDs are the ones they will hospitalize you for. Go to an ER in opioid WDs and they will send you home (rather cruel in my book, as well as dangerous. They say opioid WDs aren't life threatening. Ask Jerry Garcia about that. Oh, that's right, you can't because he died from NOT doing heroin by checking into a lock down, sweat it out rehab instead of a medicated, pamper you rehab which he could easily afford, while in poor health from diabetes, heart disease, various health complications like being overweight and getting old, etc...).

Keif' Richards and the others are right in saying that only doctors can tell, with a battery of tests, what, if any, permanent damage has been done. It sounds kinda weird that he required hospitalization for Xanax and booze. Did he just pass out and his sister thought he was in danger, or was the guy turning blue?

Ive had some updates about his current situation (he is fine at the hospital) and found out that he actually had taken 30mg of xanax and had drank a lot of whiskey, and his sister found him passed out on his bathroom floor./

He's Lucky to be alive. If your drug Naive , those dosages would kill most people. It's the respiratory suppression , which is very synergistic with ethanol and benzodiazepines that will deep six you or give you a mild to moderate degree of Brain damage.
Would you be able to obtain his Oxygen saturation readings from the Hospital records(SpO2) ? They would surely have them. I'd be better able to tell you what degree of brain damage he sustained and/or how close he was to death.
You must emphasize to him, to never combine these 2 that high or even 1/4 as much. He might have been very lucky this time, but I would never push my luck with these 2 or Benzo + Opiates , Opiates+ Ethanol etc..

^Thanks for the helpful advice musique, but I just don't think it's really fair or accurate to the OP to make the suggestion that we could somehow determine the extent of alleged brain damage just by measuring the patient's current oxygen saturation. Kudos for the will to help though dude. It's very appreciated. It's just that we like to steer away from recommendations that cannot be readily confirmed or backed up with relatively definitive information. Even if we could get a more accurate picture of the guy's condition, it would be unreasonable to suggest brain damage of any kind without having actual scans of the brain in hand.

True Keif' and it sounds a bit negative, but I hope there's enough fear instilled for him to tread much more carefully. I'd hate to see anyone get seriously hurt from Not being aware or during certain moments inattentive to all the cautionary and excellent advice, concern and knowledge which has been presented regarding this matter numerous times. I hope his support systems are a lot more fortified from Now On ! :\