• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Cannabis Induces Anxiety/Paranoia, brings out fear in some including me

Kratom777

Bluelighter
SO I at one time was a daily weed smoker. Wish I waited until I was older. For the last five or so years, I haven't smoked much. However, I can tell you, it causes me serious paranoia. I was diagnosed with generalized anxiety disorder and social anxiety. I noticed that days or weeks after use, I will have horrible paranoia within social interactions especially with strangers. It goes to show you that THC (being a mild hallucination) does have some bad side-effects among us, anxiety suffers.

My message is that individuals who suffer from anxiety don't use it. Some are going to argue that say it helped them in situations when dealing with people or that it is just me. It did help me at first and I guess if you use it once and a while, you will probably be okay. I did notice less paranoia with High CBD strains (Indica). Obviously, THC is just not for all of us. It is too bad but I think in some ways, it is great for me to let go of weed, once and for all.

I mean I gave up alcohol and tobacco, so now add weed to the list.

If anyone shares a similar experience to me, feel free to share. I would like to see if weed has affected anyone as bad as it has me.

I think it depends...personally I've always felt that smoking weed eases my anxiety. Usually it makes me take situations a bit less seriously. Although I do admit to stumbling over my words on occasion while extremely stoned lol

The only real serious anxious thought I'd get fairly regularly was that I'd get "busted"...I'd see a squad car circling a city block I was on and the first thought that'd pop into my head was "oh shit! THEY KNOW! 5-0, CHUCK THE ROACH!" lol. I live in a legal state now though, so I never get particular paranoia anymore

I think it depends...personally I've always felt that smoking weed eases my anxiety. Usually it makes me take situations a bit less seriously. Although I do admit to stumbling over my words on occasion while extremely stoned lol

The only real serious anxious thought I'd get fairly regularly was that I'd get "busted"...I'd see a squad car circling a city block I was on and the first thought that'd pop into my head was "oh shit! THEY KNOW! 5-0, CHUCK THE ROACH!" lol. I live in a legal state now though, so I never get particular paranoia anymore

Yeah dude but how long have you been smoking? I am talking about long lasting sides effects. I smoked weed for 7 years and have a lot of anxiety in my genes and I am wired that way. Pot caused me quite a lot of psychosis. I still smoke too. Not as much anymore. I use kratom and kava now but that isn't the best habit either. It seems I always need a vice in life.

Nowadays with the panic attacks I have to take a dab of my pen every time before I go into a public setting. However, it would be worth of an experiment to see if you could abstain from cannabis for 2 weeks to a month to see if your anxiety improves. I am thinking of taking on such a feat myself, but it's hard when oil is all around and you work in a dispensary! I would love to see more posts from you to see how you are doing off cannabis as compared to on it, and, if you want to experiment further, try different strains.

I know that in flower form, flamethrower makes me flip shit, while herojuana is chill. I know that certain extraction methods are not for me, and that I can only smoke live resin. It's worth a try to play around with it before concluding, and also maintaining a record of dosage and frequency.

Check out these strains for anxiety: Nigerian Nightmare, Herojuana, White Widow, Critical Mass.
Strains that worsen (my) anxiety: Flamethrower, SFV.

Also check out a GABA supplement in the health food section. Take it on an empty stomach, about 500-750 mg a day, before sleep. It should calm you down quite a bit.

Nowadays with the panic attacks I have to take a dab of my pen every time before I go into a public setting. However, it would be worth of an experiment to see if you could abstain from cannabis for 2 weeks to a month to see if your anxiety improves. I am thinking of taking on such a feat myself, but it's hard when oil is all around and you work in a dispensary! I would love to see more posts from you to see how you are doing off cannabis as compared to on it, and, if you want to experiment further, try different strains.

I know that in flower form, flamethrower makes me flip shit, while herojuana is chill. I know that certain extraction methods are not for me, and that I can only smoke live resin. It's worth a try to play around with it before concluding, and also maintaining a record of dosage and frequency.

Check out these strains for anxiety: Nigerian Nightmare, Herojuana, White Widow, Critical Mass.
Strains that worsen (my) anxiety: Flamethrower, SFV.

Also check out a GABA supplement in the health food section. Take it on an empty stomach, about 500-750 mg a day, before sleep. It should calm you down quite a bit.
Yes I abstained from marijuana for over 5 years at one time. I only have a little bit of weed left and once it is gone, I won't be buying more. My anxiety is starting to improve with age. As I get older, I am able to put things into perceptive, even negative situations. This may be due to my therapy (CBT) and MDMA use. MDMA was incredible for helping me with my anxiety since some it involves around 2 events (one when I almost got into huge trouble). I roll alone and sit there and think about stressful situations and light bulbs in my head go off making me realize that all my anxiety steam from fears rooted deep in childhood and that legal incident. It showed me that even the bad things in life can shape you for the better.

Instead of Gaba, I usually take Kratom daily for anxiety. It works wonders as you can see I like kratom, hence my username. IN severe cases of anxiety, I take lyrica or klonopin for anxiety. I prefer lyrica but sometimes the side effects long term aren't good.

Thank you everyone for the replies.

I get anxiety with or without weed........
everyone gets anxiety IMHO as it's a survival mechanism built in to the human nervous system.

FOR ME sometimes (not always) weed feels like this>>>>https://youtu.be/Mun_kUi9dx4 (put on full screen with headphones);)

Othertimes more like a nice vacation(maybe weird tho) ...only way it can be described

PS: kratom(in small amounts) good with weed....makes fear factor lower.....takes(if you need) the edge off

Last edited:
THC will cause upregulation of 5HT2A receptors and with daily use for years this effect can be significant for many.
This will lead to changes in how one thinks and anxiety and paranoia are in the list of things to expect.

After using weed for 8 years daily, I dont have any anxiety or paranoia anymore. My doctor said expect them to fade. My paranoia was mostly due to legal status of using marijuana so fixing that paper status seriously eliminated my paranoia. Anxiety is a natural state but it can be caused by excessive mental chatter. I can only give you my experience which was suggested by my doctor. I used meditation techniques to simply clear my head. While stoned it was easy for a whole new line of thinking to suddenly begin, apparently this is a side effect of increased free dopamine which was the goal for me in taking marijuana for ADHD.

It also always helped to just mentally step back from my emotional state just to honestly remember i'm using weed and it will trigger some potentially unpleasant thoughts. I would actively write my paranoia or the felt source of my anxiety down and check when i was sobber to see how silly i was being.

After using weed for 8 years daily, I dont have any anxiety or paranoia anymore. My doctor said expect them to fade. My paranoia was mostly due to legal status of using marijuana so fixing that paper status seriously eliminated my paranoia. Anxiety is a natural state but it can be caused by excessive mental chatter. I can only give you my experience which was suggested by my doctor. I used meditation techniques to simply clear my head. While stoned it was easy for a whole new line of thinking to suddenly begin, apparently this is a side effect of increased free dopamine which was the goal for me in taking marijuana for ADHD.

It also always helped to just mentally step back from my emotional state just to honestly remember i'm using weed and it will trigger some potentially unpleasant thoughts. I would actively write my paranoia or the felt source of my anxiety down and check when i was sobber to see how silly i was being.

Yeah you have to take a break every now and then. I mostly smoke indicas but it really depends on the person and their mental state of mind/clarity.

I used to smoke all the time. I mean ALL the time. Two joints before I did anything at all. I'd smoke bowls in the morning.. afternoon..night..with people..without people... always had it on me...for gosh... 10 years I'd figure... After awhile it felt like I wasn't even really getting "high" anymore I just kind of did it as a normal function almost. I was offered a job about three years ago where I had to pass a drug test. I didn't want to go through the cleansing and all the other stuff to rush for a drug test , so I just quit. After I was sober from weed and got the job, I realized how great it felt just being more focused. I ended up quitting for about three months. Overall, I felt a little more productive in life. However, after I relocated for a different job which didn't require testing, I decided I would start back up with smoking a little bit. I never really thought anything of it. Figured I'd have the same affect as before, that it just wouldn't phase me. BOY, was I WRONG. I remember my friend shared with me and I got so super paranoid I actually hid in the bathroom for a little bit while other people talked. I thought, "man, am I HIGH!". I walked back out within a few minutes, still feeling a little uneasy but handling it. I was thinking after wards...damn that was a trip...maybe it was the strain I smoked. However, the next time I smoked after that I felt the same affect. Total different person and totally different weed. I actually had to remove my contacts and put my glasses on and just get used to being high again. This went on for awhile to the point where I was like, man...I dono if I can do this. Strangely, after I stopped..it must have really hit me full force after that. I could only take one or two hits and that was enough. It caused me a great deal of anxiety. Even some higher speedy sativa strains I smoked were WAY worse. Especially with combination with alcohol. It came to the point where I realized I just can't really smoke like I used to. I'm not sure if it was just that my anxiety had increased over the past years, or just for stopping that long affected me. Still not really sure why I reacted that way. I eventually just had to accept I can't smoke, if I do it has to be pretty small amounts. I don't know. Very strange

I used to smoke all the time. I mean ALL the time. Two joints before I did anything at all. I'd smoke bowls in the morning.. afternoon..night..with people..without people... always had it on me...for gosh... 10 years I'd figure... After awhile it felt like I wasn't even really getting "high" anymore I just kind of did it as a normal function almost. I was offered a job about three years ago where I had to pass a drug test. I didn't want to go through the cleansing and all the other stuff to rush for a drug test , so I just quit. After I was sober from weed and got the job, I realized how great it felt just being more focused. I ended up quitting for about three months. Overall, I felt a little more productive in life. However, after I relocated for a different job which didn't require testing, I decided I would start back up with smoking a little bit. I never really thought anything of it. Figured I'd have the same affect as before, that it just wouldn't phase me. BOY, was I WRONG. I remember my friend shared with me and I got so super paranoid I actually hid in the bathroom for a little bit while other people talked. I thought, "man, am I HIGH!". I walked back out within a few minutes, still feeling a little uneasy but handling it. I was thinking after wards...damn that was a trip...maybe it was the strain I smoked. However, the next time I smoked after that I felt the same affect. Total different person and totally different weed. I actually had to remove my contacts and put my glasses on and just get used to being high again. This went on for awhile to the point where I was like, man...I dono if I can do this. Strangely, after I stopped..it must have really hit me full force after that. I could only take one or two hits and that was enough. It caused me a great deal of anxiety. Even some higher speedy sativa strains I smoked were WAY worse. Especially with combination with alcohol. It came to the point where I realized I just can't really smoke like I used to. I'm not sure if it was just that my anxiety had increased over the past years, or just for stopping that long affected me. Still not really sure why I reacted that way. I eventually just had to accept I can't smoke, if I do it has to be pretty small amounts. I don't know. Very strange

No, this isn't as strange or unlikely as you think when it comes to long term weed use. I once quit for 6 years and thought I would never go back to smoking weed ever again. I recently starting smoking again. I noticed it came on slowly (the more I smoked). So three years ago, I blazed up because my friend who smokes and ended up smoking probably 20 times that years. Then 2 years, it was probably 20 more times. Then in the last few months, probably 30 times already and ended up buying it on several occasions. Weed can sneak up on you especially if you suffer from impulse control like me. I am learning to manage it as I get older though. I have a good amount of weed right at this time but not enough to really hook me bad. Well, I'm going to try to actually save the weed. It seems like I never do, I always have to end up smoking the stuff (hence, the impulse control problems).

Yeah sometimes, when you smoke, you can have a mild trip because THC is a mild-hallucinogenic chemical. This can be good or bad depending on a lot of things. Sometimes weed actually helps me think through bad situations and find the good in things. It isn't all that bad but it is time for me to call it quits as well. I am pretty much done with it for at least another 2 decades.

Last edited:
No, this isn't as strange or unlikely as you think when it comes to long term weed use. I once quit for 6 years and thought I would never go back to smoking weed ever again. I recently starting smoking again. I noticed it came on slowly (the more I smoked). So three years ago, I blazed up because my friend who smokes and ended up smoking probably 20 times that years. Then 2 years, it was probably 20 more times. Then in the last few months, probably 30 times already and ended up buying it on several occasions. Weed can sneak up on you especially if you suffer from impulse control like me. I am learning to manage it as I get older though. I have a good amount of weed right at this time but not enough to really hook me bad. Well, I'm going to try to actually save the weed. It seems like I never do, I always have to end up smoking the stuff (hence, the impulse control problems).

Yeah sometimes, when you smoke, you can have a mild trip because THC is a mild-hallucinogenic chemical. This can be good or bad depending on a lot of things. Sometimes weed actually helps me think through bad situations and find the good in things. It isn't all that bad but it is time for me to call it quits as well. I am pretty much done with it for at least another 2 decades.

I always figured as much that it was kind of like 'everything in moderation'. I have tried to save weed before and said...yeah man, I'll smoke it at another time..I'll save it in this book. Now, there's just a spot where the weed used to be :D hahah. However, I admire your decision to save some while you have a substantial amount. I do have to admit, there are moments where it has been hard for me to say no when I am offered it. All my friends smoke and I am around it constantly. However, I do feel proud for myself when I deny it. Before I even consider to smoke..I weigh the consequences. Like, yeah maybe this will make me feel good for a little bit, but what are the downsides... I'll feel anxiety and paranoia and basically just in general - wanting more. I believe it's a routine almost. Once you break yourself from the habit of using it everyday ...it does make it easier. Proud for you though, nonetheless!

I always figured as much that it was kind of like 'everything in moderation'. I have tried to save weed before and said...yeah man, I'll smoke it at another time..I'll save it in this book. Now, there's just a spot where the weed used to be :D hahah. However, I admire your decision to save some while you have a substantial amount. I do have to admit, there are moments where it has been hard for me to say no when I am offered it. All my friends smoke and I am around it constantly. However, I do feel proud for myself when I deny it. Before I even consider to smoke..I weigh the consequences. Like, yeah maybe this will make me feel good for a little bit, but what are the downsides... I'll feel anxiety and paranoia and basically just in general - wanting more. I believe it's a routine almost. Once you break yourself from the habit of using it everyday ...it does make it easier. Proud for you though, nonetheless!

GOOD for you bro that you can turn it down. You are right. We have to learn how to use in moderation and if we can't, then we shouldn't do it at all. I been vaping it. I noticed that it makes me tired as hell. I think it may be because it is an indica. Honestly, I used to love indica, now I don't. I rather have a hybrid strain but it isn't easy to find. Maybe when Massachusetts opens up recreational cafes, you can really know what kind of strain you get. I don't live in Massachusetts but right by it. But I am trying to quit! lol, it is funny how it always keeps coming back.

GOOD for you bro that you can turn it down. You are right. We have to learn how to use in moderation and if we can't, then we shouldn't do it at all. I been vaping it. I noticed that it makes me tired as hell. I think it may be because it is an indica. Honestly, I used to love indica, now I don't. I rather have a hybrid strain but it isn't easy to find. Maybe when Massachusetts opens up recreational cafes, you can really know what kind of strain you get. I don't live in Massachusetts but right by it. But I am trying to quit! lol, it is funny how it always keeps coming back.

My best suggestion for vaping is a strain of oil called GAME CHANGER. It worked really well for me. However the experience may be different for everyone so if you do find some. Start out lightly to see how it affects you. I felt great and super inspired, active and ready to do stuff. Very giggly . However, my other friend that vaped it with me said that it made him almost to the point of nodding and very paranoid. However, looking back now I think this strain may have just interfered with some other drug he was on. He seemed to abuse muscle relaxers so that could have something to do with it. HOWEVER. I thought this strain was perfect to be vaped. One of my favorites even

Two things, first, one of my friends was an occasional user and often had panic attacks. He changed to CBD oil and that changed him for the better somehow. This still stands true with exposure to THC combined with CBD for him.

On another note, every person differs and genetics play a great role. This may be off topic to an extent but crystal methamphetamine never makes me paranoid. Cannabis does however. I have seen the reverse to be true for others. A major factor is usually the dose taken. A little Cannabis can be very relaxing but too much can make you think about things you would not normally consider, even if the thought is abstract/unrealistic.

Last edited: