• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Lysergamides LSD/mushroom cross tolerance duration?

crashketchum

Bluelighter
I'm curious as to if the cross tolerance between LSD and mushrooms is any shorter or longer than the tolerance between the drugs on their own. I'm wondering because I had 6 hits of some decent lsd (6 hits hit me like 2 of some I had a few months ago, but that stuff was great) last Monday, and now the next Thursday (10 days later) I'd like to eat an 8th of mushies. I want them to have the full effect so if there would still be a tolerance I'll hold off, but would there still generally be a cross tolerance 10 days later?

I'm curious as to if the cross tolerance between LSD and mushrooms is any shorter or longer than the tolerance between the drugs on their own. I'm wondering because I had 6 hits of some decent lsd (6 hits hit me like 2 of some I had a few months ago, but that stuff was great) last Monday, and now the next Thursday (10 days later) I'd like to eat an 8th of mushies. I want them to have the full effect so if there would still be a tolerance I'll hold off, but would there still generally be a cross tolerance 10 days later?

LSD tolerance supposedly affects your LSD tolerance for a significantly longer time than mushrooms (2 weeks to roughly get back to baseline with acid vs 1 week with shrooms); people are still on the fence whether that is because of all the other receptors LSD activates, or because of the way LSD pseudo-irreversibly binds to 5HT2A (the receptor that mediates most psychedelic effects). The latter especially would support the hypothesis that at less than 2 weeks you're not just getting less of an effect if you took another hit of acid, but also pretty much any other psych that acts on 5HT2A (including shrooms, which are primarily 5HT2A agonists with a bit of 5HT1A agonism thrown in).

So yes, I would expect slightly diminished effects from the shrooms due to tolerance. However, the main issue with frequent use of psychedelics is usually that you're developing a psychological tolerance - you're no longer as blown away by the experience ("losing the magic" they often call it) than you'd be if you kept your tripping to about once every 4-8 weeks or so on average, and trying to overcome this type of tolerance by increasing the dose can lead to trips where the "magic" can no longer distract you from uncomfortably introspective or, just plain paranoid thoughts. That, and you might develop HPPD. Of course that mostly applies to people who take high doses of psychs more than twice a month _on average_, not someone who takes them twice a month during the summer break, then not at all for several months.

I think you should be OK, although at the high dosage, you may need a longer recovery between (eg 3-6 weeks).
but
because each type of psychedelic has some crossover (same receptors) and some differences (different receptors) sprinkled in different parts of the brain, they have perceptible differences.

Those differences will shine at 2 weeks even if the rest of the tolerance is not yet at baseline,
so by alternating from acid to mushroom after 2 weeks with strong doses, you should still get a lot of satisfaction, and the specific mushroom nature will contrast strongly after the acid.

There will be some tolerance, but I bet you will not feel the difference.
For your case, tolerance can be an real issue if you trip too frequently for an extended periode, like tripping every WE for 3 mounths... and even in that case tolerance drop signifactively if you take more than one week between trips... If you are not in this situation I'm sure you will be satisfied with your shrooms if taken 10 days later...
have fun and keep us updated :)

Last edited:
Well, it does sound plausible / likely that it would be the pseudo-irreversible binding, right? But of course, the dosage is also orders of magnitude lower so you would need to know how those kinds of binding compare to each other - you just don't know if one of them produces more activation vs tolerance or less, just like we are mostly clueless about the functional selectivity anyway.

For me it is definitely not consistent that I need more than a week between acid trips, but I don't remember my frequent shroom tripping well enough to compare my own experiences with tolerance and compare... I developed some chronic tolerance now though, mostly from ETH-LAD and it seems to apply to psychedelics in general like you'd expect.

Tolerance and cross-tolerance gradually go down but I don't think in a linear fashion but rather like (inverse) exponential or something - recovering fast at first but then slower later. Also trips produce psychological tolerance, if you stack up meaningful trip experiences it becomes much harder to get the same sense of novelty and wonder - possibly because of particular mechanisms in the brain that register novelty that get desensitized. After 10 days if you don't have a tripping habit most of your tolerance should have dropped but this is hardly ever 100% reliable like psy experiences are never anyway, especially not shrooms which vary in potency even in the same batch.

Therefore, as a rule of thumb always try to wait longer if you can... but this whole rule of thumb of waiting a week seems to be based on getting past the knee of the curve, recovering fast from the large part of the very noticeable tolerance and ignoring the more subtle part. Keep ignoring that subtle and long winded part over and over again though and you get yourself that chronic tolerance that is bugging me now.

Alternating tends to be good yes!! This is most true for the most differently acting drugs (such as anxiolytics or stims with different mechanisms of action), sure, because you give the non-overlapping (crossing) part of the tolerance time to recover. Although alternating with certain serious drugs could have different downsides possibly, like forcing so much overall change and up/downs that it is unusually destabilizing. Probably not a particular concern with psychedelics if you ask me, if psychedelics are destabilizing it usually won't be because of those reasons IMO.

Update: I waited till Friday so I would have the weekend to recover. I took the 8th about 45 minutes ago and I've got some visuals and my body is extremely heavy. In for a great trip. I normally wouldn't trip this often but shrooms are rare to come by where I'm from so I was just impatient. Thanks to everybody for the insight!

Had an absolutely insane trip. Still tripping. After smoking some bud (always leads to what I think is introspection) it made me realize how messed up life is right now. Have a video of me speaking my thoughts, if there's any way to post it I'll block my face out. My voice literally changes in it. I literally matured into my age, and my voice moved with it. Talking to myself it's still different, my only thought is that I was holding onto something in the past and I just need to move forward. I've tripped around 20 times in a year and they've all just been identical, novel experiences. it took bursting into tears in my car for me to realize the power these psychedelics have. I'm so fucked up and I need to change.. not later... now. Just put my thoughts online raw, from a deep introspection. I finally did something with them. Now I can move forward and be who I should be. I wouldn't trade this trip for anything whether it was less potent or not. I have a whole new understanding and respect for these drugs.