Mental Health Could it be genetics from parents?

Markomarkh

Bluelighter
Just had a thought, most my life I’ve struggled, depression, anxiety, learning disability or Aspergers, could it be my parents have faulty genes passed onto me because I sometimes think they ain’t right in the head a lot of the time. How do I find more about it.

Certain mental health problems can be passed on.
I don't know about your specific issues, but it's a possibility.

there is always this debate of genetics or learned behaviors. sometimes it is both. a crappy childhood can lead to developmental disorders in your teens

I think it's generally recognized that there's an interplay of environment and genetics (nature and nurture) that can lead to a mental illness. I'm curious what you hope to find, and what use it might be. Not doubting, just interested.

nature vs nurture has a big part of your question. There are ways around this such as good nutrition, supplements and a lot of physical exercise.

My mum has severe depression and anxiety and she never got it treated. I am still baffled 33 years later after seeing a psych on and off for 20 years and taking meds for 6 years.

The psych has stopped working. The meds some what. The meds I found prevented me from commiting suicide which is a positive.

Well, it wouldn't be genetics from your neighbors (I had to do it, sorry).

You can absolutely blame your parents for your mental health problems. Not all of every problem in our brains is inherited--some of it is taught to us by our parents.

Seriously, there's a huge genetic component to mental health. Most of it is poorly understood at best, though. Sadly, there's nothing you can do about it even if it was understood.

Something that seems simple, like "depression", could have hundreds of identified genetic markers.

Since I'd always rather be doing something other than what I should be doing, if you want to get to a really really specific question, I can go look it up.