• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

best ssri?

Status
Not open for further replies.

keepitsteezy

Greenlighter
I know this is too broad but whats the best ssri or maybe a better med for anxiety?
sertraline or lexpro? or is there a better one? what have you had good/bad experiences with?

Last edited:
This is a question for a psychiatrist, not an internet message board.

I'm just looking to know peoples experiences with ssri drugs the good the bad..whats worked for one might not with another but common side affects do tend to come with each one..and the psychiatrists prescribe the drugs not take them I want to here peoples expierences

I don't know man; not necessarily, but I agree with your point that it's best-handled by a Pyschiatrist. To OP, you're correct that it's a pretty broad question to ask, especially considering that different drugs effect people in different ways. At least, as a starting point, you can make a general assumption that many of the newer SSRI's have been shown clinically to produce less of the side-effects commonly associated with SSRI therapy. These side effects commonly include erectile dysfunction, inorgasmia, somnolence etc. The thing is, that the side-effects of SSRI's are generally pretty mild for most folks.

I've personally been on a few different SSRI's. I found while they made me less "depressed", they also seemed to rob me of much of my creative though process, which is required heavily for my work in the classroom. However, for some people who are in dire straits, side-effects can be tolerable in exchange for a slight reprieve from depression. I can say that Fluoxetine (Prozac) produced significantly more erectile dysfunction than Citalopram (Selexa)/Escitalopram (Lexapro) and this side effect is the most severe of any that I ever experienced.

So, I think that it can be worth it to pursue some of the newer SSRI's in favor of the older ones, based upon my own experience, but I don't know if it's totally prudent to say, spend a lot more money on Escitalopram when Citalopram can be had for cheaper with a negligible difference in side effects. I've had prescribers intimate to me that they believe Escitalopram was nothing more than a pharmaceutical evergreening of Citalopram to enable continued profits from the more antiquated drug.

But yes, this is definitely something that will start and end with a prescriber, most likely a PsyD. We're happy to give you advice in the meantime, but we definitely can't solve the problem, but it sounds like you understand this.

yeah, this kind of question is way too open-ended and it'll just be endless speculation.
different ssri's work better for different ppl, they can be very subjective; you just have to see which works for you
for instance, i tried 8 different ssri's and two anti-psyche's before i settled on duloxetine - worked perfect for me and no side effects. still,
i'll remind you of our forums guidelines, if you dont' mind,

5) NO QUESTIONS RESULTING IN ENDLESS SPECULATIVE DISCUSSION
What this means is that questions that cannot be answered will be closed. This includes questions like "Did I OD the other day?" - "What drug did I actually take when I took that weird pill?" - "Did I miss that shot?" There is no point in asking these types of questions because there is no way we can give you an absolute answer.

apologizes but i'll have to close this thread,
hope you find that right ssri for you :)

^Yea, I must agree. Thanks for the co-moderation Keeping. I think that this is definitely something that will result in endless speculation. My hope is that with the limited advice we've been able to give, at least you'll have a reasonable starting point. Feel free to PM any of us if you have specific questions regarding our experiences with these drugs. I and I'm sure everyone else would be happy to help!

Status
Not open for further replies.