• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

How to prepare Crystaline Ketamine for IM use?

wtfisthat

Bluelighter
So say someone was inclined to try an intramuscular injection of ketamine but did not have access to it in liquid form. What is the best way to go about preparing it for injection? Specifically if it is large rocks of what would most likely be rather high purity k. Most of the research done says don't do it unless it's in a bottle, but people slam heroin everyday so it can't be that dangerous can it?

IVing a clandestine drug is safer than IM from what I've gathered reading this forum. Due to the possibility of abcesses in IM being a much bigger risk with street drugs.

I wouldn't IM anything if from a sealed bottle or if I first filtered with micron filters. If you don't have microns I wouldn't do it.

I would IV instead if you are dead set on injecting without a micron.

Just make sure you are laying down if you IV as you will fall down since it hits so fast via IV

Look up medical saline solutions, if possible order a medical grade sterile saline. Dissolve your ket into that and run it through a micron filter. Obviously sterile needles as well.

I've never IV'd or IM'd anything so I wouldn't know where to start with technique but getting sterile medical grade supplies is a good place to start if you seriously consider your safety.

You have to know slamming heroin is the most dangerous way to do it. The human body is incredibly resilient and will take abuse but that doesn't mean you should roll more dice than you need to.

Using a micron filter is not a problem. After attaining the knowledge on how to do so properly. You use it while sucking up the solution then take it off yeah?

I've heard IV ketamine is really short duration and not entirely worth it. Is there any way to clean the substance to reduce the risk of an abcess?

- True: IM tends to be more dangerous than IV in some regards because any insoluble crap will sit and fester in your muscle whereas in the veins people shoot black tar heroin etc. That is also not healthy but at least it wouldn't just sit there trapped. However when IV goes wrong the consequences may ultimately be more serious, because systemic. Or e.g. endocarditis.

- I have IMed K years ago that I bought as crystal. It was pure, uncut, potent and not sourced on the streets or anything like that but from a source I had already been insufflating it from for a long time. Source could get the separate isomers too and stuff. I would only IM something like that if I had very good reasons for knowing it to be pure, things like lab tests and a long history.

- I don't think you should use the micron filter for sucking up the solution, it has an arrow on it and a male and female Luer lock so it has a direction.

1. Acquire an empty and sterile rubber stopped vial
2. Put the product in something like a (very well cleaned) shotglass and (use a very large barreled syringe to) add the volume of bacteriostatic saline or water if you must that will fit in the rubber stop vial. I used saline that comes in small plastic sterile vials just from the pharmacy (actually just a drugstore), it is used for nosedrops in small infants. The sterile grade is less than for injection but it should be great since you filter yourself, arguably you could use demineralized / distilled water and add salt until 0.9% but its not as good. Don't use a syringe barrel filled to the absolute max if you can.
3. Add a preservative if you are not planning on finishing the vial very quickly, like benzyl alcohol (1% iirc).
4. Mix well and dissolve everything, heat a little if you must with high concentrations. Take into consideration how much heat the shotglass can withstand, otherwise use a lab beaker or other borosilicate though not some used gunky old glassware.
5. Suck up the solution into the syringe, then flip it, tap it and carefully push out absolutely all air.
6. Put on the micron filter on the syringe barrel, use a good pore size filter (0.22 µm?) and put a needle on the filter
7. Stick a loose needle into the rubber stop of the vial because you will be displacing the air in the vial and it must come out somewhere!
8. Slowly inject the solution through the filter into the vial, if you heated it up earlier make sure it is no more than tepid IMO. Afterwards let the whole thing cool entirely and store in the fridge. IMing cold solution is nice anyway IMO.

Even if you do that right, some risks with IMing can be having to learn on yourself (always aspirate and pull the plunger before you inject to make sure you don't suck up blood otherwise you are in a vein), even if you get the injection sites right it can mess with the flesh especially if you have a little habit. Cycle sites even if you have a preference and massage the muscle.

http://www.bluelight.org/vb/showthread.php?t=60421
http://www.bluelight.org/vb/showthread.php?t=94699

Last edited:
If it's real crystal ketamine then you'll have to gently heat it in the saline solution for it to dissolve. If it dissolves in water without heat then it's unlikely pure ketamine.

And yes, a micron filter is 100% necessary if you care about safety. Whatman wheel filters are the best.

Preserving the solution requires 0.9% benzyl alcohol in the total solution, if you plan to hold onto it for a while.

Best sites for IM injection are the deltoid muscle on the shoulder and the quadriceps muscle of the upper leg.

Just in case you don't know, IM doses will produce stronger highs than the same dose taken nasally... so account for this in your dosing.

That is saying nothing without mentioning concentrations. Sure ketamine dissolves in water at room temperature to some extent at lower concentrations, but yeah 100 mg/ml is going to take some encouragement though it might also be a matter of time and stirring technically. Crystal size is also a factor because of surface area of dissolution. Because there are multiple factors 'ID-ing' based on how easily it dissolves is not recommended. IIRC 200 is about as high as you will want to go and shouldn't be necessary under most circumstances. I don't remember if you can do 50 without heating, it was years ago.
But your concentration also depends on the volume of your vial(s) and how much K you want to get in there. These filters aren't cheap so you want to make full use out of them.

Correct @ injection sites. The butt is also good but you absolutely must make sure to avoid the nerves and even then I don't always tolerate it very well.

Last edited:
having (probably a stupid move) i.m.'d street-purchased ketamine two or three times, i can provide my personal experience:

the crystals very readily and swiftly dissolved into distilled water at room temperature (within a minute, iirc).

i filtered through freshly opened makeup applicators (100% cotton), and sterilized everything.

the injection (done gradually over two minutes) was painless, and left nothing, save for a slightly visible injection site, and a slight bruise on one occasion.

luckily, i did not die of septicemia, nor did i have any cysts develop. i used my thigh muscle and my bicep.

i am in no way advocating this, as it can definitely lead to (potentially deadly) complications, but i thought i would at least share my experience.

another informative thread, harm reduction info.

bumping to save from the insinkerator

Just IV its loads better well the initial rush is unbeatable its up there with smoking DMT or the best nitrous balloon you've ever hit.

But seriously be sat down, and stay sat down. Lol

As for the filter I've shot a LOT of crystal K IM and IV just using just quarter of a filter you get to roll cigarettes with it works fine just make your solution and then stick it on the end of your needle dip it in and suck up you dont even need to get the needle head in the solution.

Or you can put a whole one on sideways push in on the end of the barrel and then push it down into the bottom of the solution press down hard and suck up, then put the needle on after and good to go. Just be careful rotating the syringe back toward you to cap it as some can spill out if the filter comes off or stays at the bottom of the solution. I normally only cooked one dose so the cooker or spoon would always be dry. I think I prefer the other method tbh.

I've had a few lumps from IMing but they go eventually. And lumps from IV misses but again they go, just be careful when you IV of your veins I collapsed a few from bad method at the start. Know what needles to get and never re-use them, even if you go in and dont register a vein and have to come out, dont re-use it if you want to keep your veins nice.

1ml insulin type syringe (non removable needle so you need to do the filter on end of needle method) or 3mls with orange heads for IV, 3mls with blue or green heads for IM. Available for free from almost any pharmacy here in the UK

Last edited:
^^ Not using a micron filter is really risky, especially with IM, because you can get an abscess. The lumps you mentioned would have scared the shit out of me, and you're lucky they went away on their own. Keep going like you are and it's only a matter of time. A friend of mine got an abscess and it was horrible, he had a fever and was sick as a dog for days and it hurt terribly, I kept trying to get him to do to the doctor but he didn't have health insurance and was on probation.

^^ Not using a micron filter is really risky, especially with IM, because you can get an abscess. The lumps you mentioned would have scared the shit out of me, and you're lucky they went away on their own. Keep going like you are and it's only a matter of time. A friend of mine got an abscess and it was horrible, he had a fever and was sick as a dog for days and it hurt terribly, I kept trying to get him to do to the doctor but he didn't have health insurance and was on probation.

I quit using needles a good few months back so its not really 'a matter of time' for me. Just saying to OP, me and friends did multiple, MULTIPLE shots of crystal K, different batches, IM AND IV, over about 6 months, with only cigarette rolling filters, and none of us have abscesses. *touches wood* I know people who have shot up amphet and ket for years using only these type of filters and still been fine (IV)
A few times didnt have filters and just folded up a tissue loads into a tiny hard square and filtered through that, and still fine (again that was only for IV mind) or use cotton buds.

Where can u get micron filters then on the street in UK?

Last edited:
This is a harm reduction forum, which means it strives to gives the most responsible info possible. The fact that it can be hard to achieve certain standards of safety can be an issue and it's not a shame to point this out about one's own methods.

However it should never serve as an argument to justify one's methods. "a matter of time" obviously refers to the risk you run as long as you keep doing something. Good on you if you stopped. Realize that chance is only in relation to a number of tries. If you run a small chance of something shitty like HIV or hepatitis or an abscess but you take this risks numerous times... it isn't as small of a chance anymore that you get harmed.

In answer to your last statement: the question should be "how safe do you expect IM to be anyway on the streets, if that means no access to micron filters which should be used?". Anecdotal claims with the notion of "I did this numerous times and got away with it" are not what we want on the forum because you are 1 person saying this and there is no way to tell if you were just lucky. If you were, you would be giving a false sense of security to who knows how many others who may not be so lucky.

It's in part a bunch of weird feeling statistical principles but this is really why some kinds of claims are terrible HR and others are not. Try to refrain from attempts to put claims in perspective if your perspective has anti-HR quality. Think of it as better safe than sorry, and the only thing that can really update it is actual evidence that something is safe and not a lack of evidence that something is not (cf. evidence of absence & absence of evidence).

<3

Yeah, what Solipsis said. Thanks for sharing your experience though. I realize the majority of people who use needles aren't going to get micron filters. You likely can't get them on the street, though you can get them easily and cheaply online. Given that they ARE readily available online, it's best to advocate for their use. Many people never get an abcess (and intramuscular injection is actually much more likely to result in one than IV injection, so it's actually safer to not use a micron filter with IV than it is with IM), but some people do, and they can be serious, even life-threatening. We try to put the best information out there so that people looking for answers who have the option to do it the safest way will hopefully choose to do it the safest way.