Gym Pet Peeves

RedLeader

Bluelight Crew
Not being able to find any 2.5lb plates

People doing at least two consecutive exercises in the rack when it's obvious that people are waiting. Squat and then OHP is a popular one. God damn starting strength.

Spotters saying "all you, bro" or similar

People saying "it's all you, bro" when you ask if a bench/bar/is free.

Gyms putting a TV over the water fountain. People standing there watching TV.

Hahahaha this is good. Literally only make jumps in 25 or 45lb increments so I can't relate much to the first one but what's wrong with all you bro?

My biggest peave is that 10 years ago nobody gave a crap about training legs or using the squat rack. Now I get so fed up waiting for one of the *6* to become free I often give up and just do leg press.

Gyms putting a TV over the water fountain. People standing there watching TV.

More like gyms having a TV at all. If you're able to follow your favourite show while training, you clearly ain't working out hard enough!

More like gyms having a TV at all. If you're able to follow your favourite show while training, you clearly ain't working out hard enough!

I enjoy watching my wheel of fortune or jeopardy during my marathon cardio sessions when cutting.
"the way you feel In the last four weeks of contest prep"
"what is fucking shitty"

TV'a by the cardio is absolutely necessary and the only place they should be haha. God, still no way to ignore that shit feeling of prep though

Even with a TV I can't do my cardio in the gym - I find it too mind-numbing. Much prefer to do it outside except in mid summer when I need the AC.

^It really is. I usually save email or some other task that takes 20-30min that I can do and that makes it fly by a lot faster and gets two things done at once. Mind numbing and relatively unproductive is what bothers me but I can take mind numbing and productive

Imaginary lat syndrome theres a group of kids that are always walking around like theyre carrying buckets sometimes they mean mug me when they think im not looking screamers theres a guy that comes in and loads up a bar and then takes dip belts and rigs even more weight on then squats like an inch and screams like hes passing kidney stones old people bunch of eldery who come in and do weird exercises doesnt really piss me off its just kinda hard to be serious and aggressive when theres someone fucking the air while doing lat pulldowns crossfit fags taking up half the gym to do their "functional circuit training" and get pissed when you take one of their stations advice from mice recently there has been a noob whos taken it upon himself to correct people even though he has like 10 inch arms motherfucker asked me if he could spot when i was doing snatches and i told him you dont have a spot you bail and he was like ok man and watched me go through my heavy sets and told me that i was gonna fuck up my shoulders

People doing at least two consecutive exercises in the rack when it's obvious that people are waiting. Squat and then OHP is a popular one. God damn starting strength.

I used to do 3 working sets of OHP followed by 4 working sets of squats. You mad bro? :\

Guys who neglected training their legs and it is VERY obvious. Squat racks never being free until midnight (I work out at nights only now). That guy who does arms and chest EVERY day. Groups of teens coming in with no experience except for that one guy who is naturally gifted and then all off them trying to keep up with him and now youre waiting for a free bench or whatever else they've taken. Much of this is all gone now that I go past midnight. I like the TV's in there, one moment I look up its Jerry Seinfeld and then the next moment Friends, keeps my minute between sets short.

I used to do 3 working sets of OHP followed by 4 working sets of squats. You mad bro? :\

It would depend on whether anyone was waiting on the rack. I mean I'm guilty of doing it when nobody is waiting. Though someone with social anxiety may be waiting. The ones that hurt the most are the ones deep down you know you are occasionally guilty of.

Like getting mad at "hey, I'm doing a circuit and have two more sets here." I do like to do circuits because I can achieve greater total poundage. But I only ever circuit machines.

Or people who don't wipe up their sweat. I didn't wipe off the leg press the other day (though I don't really swseem and the girl who got on it next wiped it down first. It was an odd feeling of rejection. I know if a hot girl sweats all over a machine, I actually feel a bit turned on using it next unwiped. But I am a pervert.

Another one... When there are two types of chairs in the dumbbell area... Flat and adjustable. And someone is using an adjustable one but could have used a flat one just the same. The exception would be if all of the flat ones are taken.

^^ or if they are switching in between sets. I like to do that for dumbell chest flies sometimes. Also I NEVER wipe down lmao. Only times I wipe down are if I see someone sweating a ridiculous amount and the area has a puddle or if I can tell the person is gross. I also get turned on when I sit on a hot girls machine after she gets off. Perverts unite!

The sweating thing doesn't really bother me too much either, I try to wipe down stuff myself out of politeness, but occasionally I'll forget to bring an extra towel or something. I practice some martial arts with a grappling aspect in which it's pretty normal to have guys (mostly guys, unfortunately) just sweating everywhere and sometimes sweating all over you, so unless someone's literally dripping or smells or something I've just become desensitised to it, and it's just something to be expected sometimes when working out that I'll encounter other people's sweat.

Most of the other things fortunately I don't have trouble with because I try to go to the gym either really early in the morning or at night when it's quiet. My main pet peeve is definitely busy gyms in general, I always just think urgh, don't these people have something better to do than workout at the same time as me... ;)

Something else that did bother me recently though is being sold to while trying to work out, I signed up at a new gym a little while ago and spent some time talking to one of the personal trainers, seemed like an OK guy, but then for a while whenever I went there and even when I wasn't via text he'd be asking me "Hey bro how's your training going?", "You considered getting any help in the gym?", "You know you could benefit from a diet plan, I could help you out!" that sort of thing, I mean at first it didn't bother me but it just got annoying and was abundantly clear he was trying to sell me his PT. Obviously I should have just said look not being rude here but I just want to work out in peace but what I actually did was succumb to my British fear of offending people and just try to avoid him until he got the message. =D

Yeah what is it with the fear of offending people nowadays like a plague. That's the one thing I tend to like about people on gear actually. They don't bullshit you and aren't one of the sheep in society insistent on walking on eggshells with everything they say.

I will say though, feeling rejected after a girl wiping down your sweat on a bunch? May wanna check that AI dose lol. I never wipe down anything because I figure you shouldn't be at the gym if you're afraid of sweat but also gotta expect people, especially chicks, to do that

Yeah what is it with the fear of offending people nowadays like a plague. That's the one thing I tend to like about people on gear actually. They don't bullshit you and aren't one of the sheep in society insistent on walking on eggshells with everything they say.

I will say though, feeling rejected after a girl wiping down your sweat on a bunch? May wanna check that AI dose lol. I never wipe down anything because I figure you shouldn't be at the gym if you're afraid of sweat but also gotta expect people, especially chicks, to do that

Lol I get where he's coming from. It's basically like a nonverbal way of the girl saying "you're icky gross manly man, I want Justin Bieber girly non sweaty bitchboy". When in reality she may be like me with "fuck I don't Wanna get another staph infection"

Last edited:
Lol I get where he's coming from. It's basically like a nonverbal way of the girl saying "you're icky gross manly man, I want Justin Bieber girly non sweaty bitchboy". When in reality she may be like me with "fuck I don't Wanna get another staph infection"

I mean...at the end of the day, would anyone expect anything else? Doubt a chick is gonna be like "fuck yeah lets go roll around in some random dudes sweat" unless she has a weird fetish for sweat and random dudes haha

Haha I am genuinely ashamed at myself for forgetting about reracking weights.

People that ask you to spot them on bench with a weight about 60lbs more than they can do on their own forcing you to nearly throw your back out trying to save them from being crushed. It's fine maxing out sometimes but you should have an idea of where you're at. I will admit it's fun to make those people struggle a bit tho lol.

Also people that do 10 sets of deadlifts taking about 50 minutes when there's no other racks open. Deadlifts are an awesome exercise but you don't need to be doing that many sets.