• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Medical Marijuana for Migraines

thementalcherry

Greenlighter
I couldn't find a post on here like this so I made my own. If someone could direct me towards a similar one that would be great.
So I've had migraines for years. I'm currently almost 20 and I'm trying to consider all of my options for pain relief and migraine prevention. I honestly hate taking a daily pill for it if I'm still getting migraines. I also take other daily medications for depression/bpd. I feel like I might benefit from medical marijuana. I haven't really done much research until now. I've smoked it before and I feel like it didn't affect me much but it was probably because I didn't do it right because I've never smoked before. (I had pot brownies once but also couldn't tell if it did anything because I was drunk at the time.)

So I guess the problem is that I live in Pennsylvania and it's only medically legal for a few things. On the one -snip- I've been referring to it says that chronic pain is one of the qualifications but it's very strict and specific. Actually all of the qualifications are very limited. I don't even know if they would consider migraines to be chronic pain because of how they word it here,
"Severe chronic or -snip- of neuropathic origin or severe chronic or intractable pain in which conventional therapeutic intervention or opiate therapy is contraindicated or ineffective"
So I don't even know if I'd be able to but I really want to try to look into anything that would help. So I guess if anybody has recommendations for any other way to relieve the pain that would be great as well.

So I guess in general I'd like advice on how to get medical marijuana if it could help. Sorry I tend to be wordy so that's the moral of the story.

Last edited by a moderator:
Talk to a doctor or doctors that do mmj recommendations and see what they have to say. You will probably be able to find one that relates or understands where you are coming from. You're not a doctor so who is to say that having chronic migraines wouldn't be considered a form of chronic pain- the interpretation is for the doctor to decide... :)

I used to get migraines all the time and found cannabis to be effective.

I feel like it would be considered chronic pain because I'm diagnosed with chronic migraines and Im in pain nearly every day. My neurologist didn't really do anything when I went last and they didn't recommend marijuana because of "not enough lab tests." so I'm just pissed because Ive had this ongoing migraine for 2 months now and ive gone to the ER and had a steroid, cycle breaker, etc and nothings helping.

I cant imagine how painful it must be with an on going migraine for 2 months. You have my sympathy.

I suffered from migraines from early childhood til mid 40's. I began using recreational marijuana and i cant remember my last migraine. While it might be a memory issue they didnt vanish instantly but it has been years.

As a teen I was hospitalized twice from migraine pain and i honestly feared that pain more than anything. I would happily have broken bones if it would have stopped migraine pain. I didnt intend to use marijuana as a pain relief from migraines, it was a side effect. It didnt actually work on the pain, i simply dont get migraines anymore. Even a headache is rare.

Marijuana doesn't work for everyone but it did work for me. Good luck with yiur doctor, most are getting a lot better and stepping out of stone age medicine.