• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Does Adderall Help with W/Ds?

Unicornfarts123

Greenlighter
Hey guys! Im new here although anytime i need info on something when i search google i always click on your forums.
I am an addict of over 10 years.. off and on. Mostly on. My whole family is riddled with addicts from heroin to pain pills alcohol everything. My choice has always been pain pills ? idk why i continue to do it to myself but im trying like hell to beat this thing!! I am prescribed adderall as i am add and i get nothing out of it. When i dont take it im bouncing.off the walls staring u blankly in the face as you talk your head off and i dont hear a damn word your saying and impulsive when i take my meds im very calm and quite the oppositve of what i am when i dont take it. But what i am.wondering (bc i have seen very little talk bout this) is does adderall in fact help pain pill wd??
The past 3 days ive barely taken any pain meds. 1st day 20 mg oxycodone 2nd day id say around 15? And today 5 mg. And although i do feel some wd (cold chills skin on fire anxiety sneezing muscle aches) its not as bad on my adderall as it would be without my adderall! Has anyone else experienced this??

Ohh and please help support me in this journey of freeing myself from this demon! Pain pills are the ONLY thing that has had a hold on me. It makes me so mad a tiny little effing pill has so much control of me.

And before the 20 mg i was taking anywhere from 40-80 mg a day. This has been going on for a little over a year this time around. I hate that i know how sick ill be and how shitty ill feel bc hell ive been through wd so many times in the past 10 yrs it makes me so mad at myself for messsing up every time. Grrrr

Hey unicornfarts, great name and welcome to Bluelight ;)

First up, sorry you're having to go through w/ds, but a BIG congrats for getting off the pain meds :D

Yes, I do think stimulant type medications can tend to reduce the subjective experience of w/ds and pain.

I'm going to change the heading of your thread and move this over to basic drug discussion so you can hopefully get some more feedback from others who've been in your situation.

You could also try posting in Sober Living if you want some help with the process you're going through. The guys and gals there are extremely helpful and supporting :)

Hope to see you around, take care,
CFC.

^ as CFC said, they can. but i think its really subjective to the individual, i wouldn't want anything that keeps me awake when i'm in wd's - i just try and sleep right thru it.
as they say, ymmv (your mileage may vary) - sooooo, maybe? aha cheers for that link to SL too CFC, mate.

You guys are right that it's definitely a subjective thing, like anything else regarding drug experiences, but I and some of my close acquaintances have some anecdotal experience that I think might shed some light on the topic.

Opioid withdrawal is an interesting beast. I, just like many other moderators and members of the community, have been through the process in one for or another at least a dozen times. I've traveled a lot for work without really taking my habit into close concern. This lead to frantic searching in foreign environments for whatever might help me along and make me able to work.

One would think, say, Alcohol, as it is a CNS depressant, sedative and hell, euphoriant, would help someone in withdrawal, however, for the vast majority of folks, Alcohol is totally contraindicated when going through withdrawal. For myself and everyone else I know, indulging in Alcohol while sick can lead to terrible malaise and a very intense hangover just shortly after ingesting the Alcohol. I really don't know why this occurs. Perhaps the body is working harder to regain homeostasis and the Alcohol is just more of an insult than usual.

This leads us into the question of Amphetamines. Just like Alcohol, unfortunately, I've always found the negative aspects of stimulants to be far more prominent when I'm going through withdrawal. A large dose of DL Amphetamine for instance, would normally give me at least 4-5 hours of solid stimulation, followed by a few hours of manageable comedown. My experience using Amphetamines during withdrawal has led me to say that for most people, it's contraindicated. That same dose of Amphetamine, when I'm sick, provides 2-3 hours of stimulation, followed by an extremely rough comedown laden with anxiety and malaise.

I am not a doctor and I cannot explain why these things happen, but I can say with confidence that substances like Alcohol and Amphetamines, which insult the body acutely when you use them, either by hangover or comedown or whatever, seem to be a lot more difficult to endure when sick. There are things that just work much better for withdrawal.

My own personal opinion, Amphetamines are not a great choice when you're already going through this shit. It might make it much more difficult. Things like Benzodiazepines, Cannabis and Gabapentinoids are my go-to's for withdrawal. They are things that typically help mitigate my symptoms without causing more stress on my body like the aforementioned substances.

Let me know if you have any questions or if this was somehow unclear.

Another great tool in withdrawl if u can get it is gabapentin or lyrics...also phenibut..
Also,if ur goin to use adderall to help the withdrawal,u may wana try and get sum benzos for sleep..or even clonidine.

Adderall is one of the last things i want to take when i’m in withdrawal. It makes sleep literally impossible and instead of giving me energy it actually seems to drain my body of the little energy it has while in withdrawal. Also it makes my body temperature regulation even worse so it basically intensifies the cold sweats.

Definitely not a comfort med in my opinion