• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

running away (please dont close thread)

Jamesdean420

Bluelighter
I'm not giving the full story in case someone I know reads this. On my older posts I've talked about being abused and such. I have a good reason to leave so please do not question that. Is it a smart idea to bring my phone with me. Its a tracphone. Airplane mode. Only music and games. Also how long would they probably physically search from me.where would they most likely look? I'm sorry if this is inappropriate but I need to know and its an emergency. I have no number.

Ditch your phone and get a burner.

I've had friends in your situation and they are now free and living their lives without fear. It takes courage to make "that" move.

Much love!!!

I'm not giving the full story in case someone I know reads this. On my older posts I've talked about being abused and such. I have a good reason to leave so please do not question that. Is it a smart idea to bring my phone with me. Its a tracphone. Airplane mode. Only music and games. Also how long would they probably physically search from me.where would they most likely look? I'm sorry if this is inappropriate but I need to know and its an emergency. I have no number.

Don't get rid of your mobile phone.

DO NOT run away. You think your problems are bad now? Running away will not solve them, and it may make things 1,000X worse for you. There are adults and even teenagers and people who appear to be friendly or nice, who may try to lure you in since you are vulnerable and running away, and then take advantage of you, sexually abuse you, hurt you physically or psychologically worse than you have ever had happen, or kill you. Stay safe.

Last edited:

DO NOT run away. You think your problems are bad now? Running away will not solve them, and it may make things 1,000X worse for you. There are adults and even teenagers and people who appear to be friendly or nice, who may try to lure you in since you are vulnerable and running away, and then take advantage of you, sexually abuse you, hurt you physically or psychologically worse than you have ever had happen, or kill you. Stay safe.

Agreed.

OP, you really need to find some way to get authority figures involved. Like, you need to get your school involved. If not your school, go to your local fire station and tell one of the firemen/women you need to advice about an abusive situation. If not your local fire station, go to your local library. Or hospital. Basically, you need to involve authority figures - the more you feel safe with them the better, so choose the authority figure according to who you think you'll feel safest with and who will most protect you interests.

What efforts have you made to reach out for support OP? Running away from home should only be a very last ditch effort. From your earlier posts it seems like you have yet to exhaust your options with this, and until you explore your other options in terms of getting help you really shouldn't just run away. That should only be something you seriously consider once you've tried getting help from your school, local public servants and other such authority figures who could help.

Depending on where you live, you can also reach out to local homeless shelters, food banks, churches and harm reduction clinics. All those places can help you get the support you need to be safe, whatever that means.

If it comes to it, we will support you however we can - whatever that means. But you don't sound like you're at the point running away actually makes sense quite yet.

I'm sorry, I thought this was a battered spouse / S O, not a minor. I agree with the above two posts.

Minor or adult doesn't change things, when genuinely asking for advice there must be a reason.

James Dean, can you elaborate? If you don't feel comfortable publicly doing so you can PM me but you're best laying the facts down here to get the best advice. We'll keep an eye on your thread to make sure you're getting support.

Yes, that is a good to emphasize that if you don't want to discuss details publicly you can always pm someone trustworthy on staff for advice. It's good to only put stuff online we're comfortable with being public, and there can be a learning curve with that kind of habit. But any info in private messages stays private unless you give explicit permission to do otherwise.

It's really important you get help with your situation OP. Please reach out to someone trustworthy who uses the site privately if you don't feel comfortable doing it publicly. Site policy requires anything you send via PM to be kept PRIVATE (hence private message) unless the user sending it gives consent for it to be publicly disclosed.

Please rest assured anything you send via PM will be kept in confidence unless you give them the permission to do otherwise.

We have a very strict policy about not disclosing PMs without specific consent. Anyone who shares material from a PM without prior permission is dealt with very strictly (harshly) and any private info made public inappropriately is removed immediately from public view.

In some cases kids are right to run away. Sometimes things really are that bad. I don't know if that's the case here, but sometimes it is.

If you're a minor, while yes, you absolutely 100% want a working phone, but since as a minor there is a risk that your parents, or the cops at their behest rather, could track you with your phone if they know the number. So you might want to get another if that's an option.

Otherwise, while it's in airplane mode it can't be tracked. But if at any time airplane mode is switched off it can be tracked to a rough general area around the cell tower it was connected to.

I'm not going to tell you not to do it. But I will say that being homeless, especially as a minor. It's very, very hard. I'm in no place to tell you that you're better off with your parents. I just hope you appreciate what you're getting in to. There might well be other options beyond doing nothing or running away. And running away and winding up homeless really is an absolute last resort. Doing it as a minor is worse, doing it as a female minor is worse still, doing it as a female minor entirely by yourself is worst of all. It has to be VERY bad at home before running away starts making sense.

Without knowing your circumstances in more detail I can't really say what I think might be your best option. But I want to tell you I'm very sorry you're going through this. I ran away from home, and I've been homeless. But I wasn't a minor at the time. Not by far, but it's still a big difference.

It's a very dangerous thing to do. If you do it, my best advise is to trust your instincts. Never, ever go against them.

Of the most dangerous situations I've gotten into when I've been homeless, most were because I didn't listen to my instincts. Usually out of desperation. But it's just not worth it. Trust your instincts, always.

I'm really sorry you're going through such a difficult time that you feel like you need to run away. Just be careful hun. Winding up homeless usually isn't much better. And pretty much the only time it's any better is when there is severe abuse going on at home. I mean bad enough that you might sooner be dead than stay home.

Last edited:
In some cases kids are right to run away. Sometimes things really are that bad. I don't know if that's the case here, but sometimes it is.

If you're a minor, while yes, you absolutely 100% want a working phone, but since as a minor there is a risk that your parents, or the cops at their behest rather, could track you with your phone if they know the number. So you might want to get another if that's an option.

Otherwise, while it's in airplane mode it can't be tracked. But if at any time airplane mode is switched off it can be tracked to a rough general area around the cell tower it was connected to.

I'm not going to tell you not to do it. But I will say that being homeless, especially as a minor. It's very, very hard. I'm in no place to tell you that you're better off with your parents. I just hope you appreciate what you're getting in to. There might well be other options beyond doing nothing or running away. And running away and winding up homeless really is an absolute last resort. Doing it as a minor is worse, doing it as a female minor is worse still, doing it as a female minor entirely by yourself is worst of all. It has to be VERY bad at home before running away starts making sense.

Without knowing your circumstances in more detail I can't really say what I think might be your best option. But I want to tell you I'm very sorry you're going through this. I ran away from home, and I've been homeless. But I wasn't a minor at the time. Not by far, but it's still a big difference.

It's a very dangerous thing to do. If you do it, my best advise is to trust your instincts. Never, ever go against them.

Of the most dangerous situations I've gotten into when I've been homeless, most were because I didn't listen to my instincts. Usually out of desperation. But it's just not worth it. Trust your instincts, always.

I'm really sorry you're going through such a difficult time that you feel like you need to run away. Just be careful hun. Winding up homeless usually isn't much better. And pretty much the only time it's any better is when there is severe abuse going on at home. I mean bad enough that you might sooner be dead than stay home.

The original poster is a troll, and their scenarios do not make sense.

Every 14 year old today knows how if they are actually really being abused by a parent or parent(s)/guardians to go to the authorities, etc. Having a parent take away clothing (a rather odd punishment that sounds made up?) that the OP posted about, is not abuse.

If the OP is actually a teenager I would not be surprised if their parent/parents are concerned about their drug use/addiction, and the teenager considers this to be "abuse". When in reality he/she just has concerned parents who are worried about how their kid is addicted to drugs. Nothing that the original poster has described here is abuse or would require emancipation.

So my parents have found out about my drug habits long ago but thought I quit. They found out I have been smoking in the woods. They found empty bottles of DXM in my bookbag which I was going to throw out this morning. I have to write some stupid essay on cigs by the time they get back. My dad has called the cops on me before. They are thinking about sending me somewhere. I need advice on what I should do. Should I run away? Should I remain calm? I'm in a shit ton of trouble and I'm thinking about getting fucked up on DXM even though they will notice. I use to have an alcoholic dependency and they made me switch schools and threw away all my band tee shirts. They said if I leave or don't do my stupid essay there calling the cops.

I'm planning on getting an emancipation thanks for all the help guys.

Last edited:
i dont rly get the need for all the paranoia regarding cops tracking your phone and stuff, its not like you robbed a bank or kidnapped someone.

if u think u have the street smarts to run away from home at 14 and its what you want to do, go for it .

we don't really have much info on your situation so its not that easy to give solid advice.