Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

The truth about the US ‘opioid crisis’ – prescriptions aren’t the problem

S.J.B.

Bluelight Crew
The truth about the US ‘opioid crisis’ – prescriptions aren’t the problem
Marc Lewis
The Guardian
November 7th, 2017

The news media is awash with hysteria about the opioid crisis (or opioid epidemic). But what exactly are we talking about? If you Google “opioid crisis”, nine times out of 10 the first paragraph of whatever you’re reading will report on death rates. That’s right, the overdose crisis.

For example, the lead article on the “opioid crisis” on the US National Institutes of Health website begins with this sentence: “Every day, more than 90 Americans die after overdosing on opioids.”

Is the opioid crisis the same as the overdose crisis? No. One has to do with addiction rates, the other with death rates. And addiction rates aren’t rising much, if at all, except perhaps among middle-class whites.

Let’s look a bit deeper.

The overdose crisis is unmistakable. I reported on some of the statistics and causes in the Guardian last July. I think the most striking fact is that drug overdose is the leading cause of death for Americans under 50. Some people swallow, or (more often) inject, more opioids than their body can handle, which causes the breathing reflex to shut down. But drug overdoses that include opioids (about 63% ) are most often caused by a combination of drugs (or drugs and alcohol) and most often include illegal drugs (eg heroin). When prescription drugs are involved, methadone and oxycontin are at the top of the list, and these drugs are notoriously acquired and used illicitly.

Read the full story here.

Last edited:
Great article. I wish common sense like this made it into the press more often

This is a great counterpoint to the BBC article from the other week SJB, thanks for posting!

Everyone I know who ended up an opiate addict was a polydrug user before hand who would have already met the dsm criteria for addiction. They also had significant trauma in there lives.

Marc Lewis is a pretty reliable author when it comes to addiction related stuff.