Using pregnenolone instead of DHEA

Foreigner

Bluelighter
This isn't a performance enhancement question so much as it is a general hormone health question...

My cortisol levels are low due to chronic illness and corticosteroid use. According to the hormone tree, in order to help cortisol/cortisone production, I'd either have to take progesterone or its precursor pregnenolone. Since prednisone suppresses DHEA in the body, I have also been taking DHEA.

Pregnenolone can convert into both progesterone and DHEA. Could I just take pregnenolone and call it a day, or is it more complicated than that? Or could there be a conversion bias to one side or the other?

On a different board people have been having success using both preg and dhea though I want to say too much preg resulted in negative side effects. I'll try to find the post and copy paste it

Pregenolone has made one of the biggest noticeable positive improvements in my life. I've used it with DHEA and without and personally haven't noticed much if anything. The pregenolone is the one that does it for me

Ok I browsed through the thread. You're in Canada right? Apparently preg is illegal but people have been ordering off Amazon without issue there.
25mg preg
50mg dhea
Taken sublingually
That seems to be the dose with best response from members on that board (thread is 11 pages and I just speed read through about 60% of it gathering those numbers). Might wanna take it in the Am as lots have reported a stimulated feeling. Genetic Freaks partner posted some studies related to it too I believe so he and she may prove valuable to this topic.

Ok I browsed through the thread. You're in Canada right? Apparently preg is illegal but people have been ordering off Amazon without issue there.
25mg preg
50mg dhea
Taken sublingually
That seems to be the dose with best response from members on that board (thread is 11 pages and I just speed read through about 60% of it gathering those numbers). Might wanna take it in the Am as lots have reported a stimulated feeling. Genetic Freaks partner posted some studies related to it too I believe so he and she may prove valuable to this topic.

I have for some time attempted to look into hormone synthesis downstream of cholesterol.... (pregnenolone and DHEA)... The enzymatic conversion process is relatively easy to find and understand in normal healthy individuals...

It is the impact caused by exogenous testosterone administration which is proving more difficult... Such as how far negative feedback via GnRH, LH, FSH impacts upstream of testosterone synthesis..? (if indeed it does)..

I'm assuming the negative feedback cannot kick in directly at cholesterol, halting synthesis of all hormones downstream, because otherwise the body would be devoid of such vital hormones such as Aldosterone, Progesterone, and the Glucocorticoids..

Because hormones are synthesised in various tissues and organs of the body, mainly in adrenal gland, but also liver, skin, hippocampus, testes, and retina, I assume synthesis of testosterone cease in the testes but remain via the adrenal gland... Thus leaving the conversion of pregnenolone, DHEA etc converted in other tissues/organs relatively unaffected..

My understanding is that levels of FSH and LH (the only thing that matters when taking exogenous test) only really affect P450scc in the testes. P450scc is the thing that produces pregnenolone from cholesterol, which is thus the rate limiting step in the production of everything else.

FSH and LH have little (I believe) effect on the activity of that enzyme anywhere else. ACTH has more influence, which exogenous test has little effect on. So in that regards, the whole gamut of neurosteroids and derivatives is produced as required in their relevant target tissues.

The same is approximately true for DHEA.

So, in the testes levels will drop to virtually zero with exogenous test, but in the brain and adrenals it's still produced as required. In the case of DHEA, as precursor to natural test and oestrogen, the circulating levels should be considerably lower than pregnenolone when you take exogenous test. Most anti-aging clinics thus supplement with additional DHEA, but there's very little evidence to support raising circulating concentrations given that localised concentrations (eg in the brain) remain elevated so that it can still function as a neurosteroid.

Pregnenolone is banned here in NZ, so no experience there, DHEA sublingual didn't do much for me, but thats same for most things..

I am completely 100% unequivocally straight and I think I got a chub reading that lmao.

In all seriousness though, thanks for that and the impact of exogenous hormones on endogenous hormone production has really interested me. Haven't read as much as I'd like, need to find some additional reading.

25mg preg
50mg dhea
Taken sublingually

Thanks for doing some work to retrieve this info for me :)

I'm in my early 30's and although I have some adrenal suppression right now, I'm hesitant to supplement with too much DHEA. I hear the anecdotal values and I believe them to be true, but I don't see why DHEA is even necessary if preg converts to DHEA... unless of course one is very low in DHEA.

Another question I have is if cream vs. pill vs. sublingual is better for hormone delivery? There are preg creams on amazon that ship to Canada that I could try.

The preferred choice amongst the users there was something called dermecrine I believe. It is a topical cream. The dose for that was 3 pumps.

Side note: I don't know why I can remember all this stuff with ease yet trying to remember trig identities for my exam next week is proving to be a struggle lol.

Whether cream is better or not I think depends on the hormone. I know that progesterone is uncontested in cream form, but I'm not sure about pregnenolone. The best sellers on Amazon seem to be the cream forms.

Whether cream is better or not I think depends on the hormone. I know that progesterone is uncontested in cream form, but I'm not sure about pregnenolone. The best sellers on Amazon seem to be the cream forms.

The sublingual ones hit fast but also wear off fast. The cream supposedly is time released over 24 hours with a high absorption rate. I've only tried the regular capsules which I just started a few days ago and I feel amazing. My cortisol levels are next to nothing..I'm sure due to benzo withdrawal, lifting too crazy, and a lot of stress in my life right now. I was literally feeling zombified and struggled to function and now feel way better.

The preferred choice amongst the users there was something called dermecrine I believe. It is a topical cream. The dose for that was 3 pumps.

Side note: I don't know why I can remember all this stuff with ease yet trying to remember trig identities for my exam next week is proving to be a struggle lol.

What are you studying Serotonin..?

What are you studying Serotonin..?

That's I suck at trigonometry lmao. I can remember trivial posts on a message board but my mind went completely blank when trying to recall double and half angle formulas. Yet my instructor insists we're gonna be using this a lot in our lives. Hah, I'm not gonna be an engineer or an architect for that reason.

That's I suck at trigonometry lmao. I can remember trivial posts on a message board but my mind went completely blank when trying to recall double and half angle formulas. Yet my instructor insists we're gonna be using this a lot in our lives. Hah, I'm not gonna be an engineer or an architect for that reason.

Big bucks... :)

Good choice. Not sure if you live in the US but nurses are in great demand everywhere here

Good choice. Not sure if you live in the US but nurses are in great demand everywhere here

Yep Saint Louis area. A lot of new hospitals got built as well so demand definitely has skyrocketted.

Yep Saint Louis area. A lot of new hospitals got built as well so demand definitely has skyrocketted.

Not incredibly far from me. It's way more of a drive for you and dunno if you're into that scene but any plans to go to Bassnectar NYE this year?

Not incredibly far from me. It's way more of a drive for you and dunno if you're into that scene but any plans to go to Bassnectar NYE this year?

I would but I've already got plans and gotta take care of the family cat while pops is out of town. Got a dinner date for my friends bday on 12/30 and then probably (if we don't break up) spending new years with the girl as we both have to work new years eve and day. And idk if I could stay clean at a bassnectar show lmao. Find me doing rails of Molly and a mouth full of blotter in the bathroom real quick.

I gotcha. Think I remember you saying something about that but not into rec drugs anymore, right? Can't blame ya for not wanting to be in that environment though cause that's what I'll be doing haha

I gotcha. Think I remember you saying something about that but not into rec drugs anymore, right? Can't blame ya for not wanting to be in that environment though cause that's what I'll be doing haha

Ja, I'm a junkie to the fullest. Can't risk falling back into that otherwise it I'd be up for that. I miss rolling my ass off and enjoying lights and heavy bass. Then fall into a nice k hole to come down and hit a good neon-nod as the sun comes up.