• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Do you feel that you're able to "stay sharp" while high?

washingtonbound

Bluelighter
I'm curious to see what people think of how they function after smoking. Are you able to perform well at work? For experienced users, do you get short term memory problems? I'm wondering because I've talked to some people who say that weed helps them function on a higher level in some instances while some can't seem to do much of anything after smoking. I think for me it is in between; I am tuned into some things while high while at other times I'm not at all. I used to work a really mindless telemarketing job while high and that was fine but I've noticed that if I'm doing something that requires a lot of focus, I tend to "space out" when I've smoked a lot. Sometimes I will misinterpret/misunderstand what people say after I've smoked and kinda zone out into outer space. The job I work now is still pretty mindless but I know I wouldn't want to do it high. It's valet and while that's not rocket science, I know it requires more attention than telemarketing. I could see myself doing something stupid like forgetting where I parked someones car or something like that, if I was too baked.

But on the other hand my co worker smokes a lot and even sneaks it in during his smoke breaks and it doesn't seem to affect him much at all, so I'm not sure.

Anyway, just curious to see what other people think about their functioning high vs sober.

Inexperienced user with low tolerance here. Absolutely not. I can't remember what happened 15 seconds ago when I'm high. If I use several days in a row then I feel like I have less of a memory loss issue, but my baseline is way worse too.

Varies strain to strain. Some I can function on but just way more mellow and when I use some I get an intense psychedelic type trip where the most basic stuff is about impossible.

It really depends on the weed, I have two really nicely grown outdoor strains presently. One of them will put me out for the day and make me sleep so I smoke it at night. The other strain I find to be intellectually stimulating and physically relaxing, and an excellent appetite stimulant. I have been smoking for 15 years so I don't really get the giggles or anything like that unless I dab, but I don't really dab anymore due to the extreme tolerance it causes. I like to burn joints. Recently got my prescription for it too, without even asking my doc just knew I smoke as it is my cologne, and I admitted to being an opiate addict requesting to bar myself from any future opiate prescriptions which have been destroying my life for years.

Weed is great for me, if it makes you lazy don't smoke it. It's not like there's that bad of a withdrawal or anything, maybe some cravings. I'm smoking more than ever before and my motivation and creative capability have never been better in my life. I get lazier if I don't smoke weed, so when I feel tired during the day I smoke up.

Been an experienced cannabis user over 15 years.

I used to be high all the time at school and functioned reasonably well.

I have cut way back since my late teens / mid 20's.

I will smoke here and there at work. Working as a sales consultant I find that my customer interactions usually benefit when I am high, but sometimes I get forgetful with paperwork. Overall not much is gained or lost from when I am high vs. not high. Sometimes if I am stressed it is helpful to get me out of a funk, sometimes it totally fucks up my short term memory regarding where I am in certain processes / emails / submitting contracts, etc.

I don't smoke weed much anymore because it's really expensive where I live but what I can remember of recent times smoking during school I just got really tired and couldn't really concentrate, so no, not for me

Good responses here. Lately I have decided to just smoke socially because I've found that while I obviously don't get physical cravings, if I start smoking it usually progresses to an everyday thing which does not work for me very well nowadays. To begin with I have trouble with certain executive functioning tasks, and while I could get away with it when I was younger, I want to make sure I am more competent as I get older.

It depends on if I have a joint/vape bowl and go do something or sit around hitting the bong every five minutes. The former: sharp as a tack. The latter: Hell no.

Nope, never... and it's not even close. OK, so maybe sometimes if I'm just working on some kind of project on my own, in my own time, I can zone-out in a productive way... but these moments of lucidity are few and far between.

I was sharper than ever before in my life today... or at least in several years. On 2C-C after smoking a joint I went for a walk that was so profound of an experience that I will be writing a serious trip report about it. It was all about paying attention to things I normally never would and I had an incredibly amazing and oddly strange conversation with a really interesting older man who was out and about, who I had never met. Just an instant natural connection... so cool. It was one of the most profound experiences of my whole entire life and involved discussion on quantum physics including the uncertainty principle, particle physics, and quantum perturbation theory (that's where I got lost... I remember that was one of the toughest parts of Quantum Mechanics 1 and 2), so we agreed to study it and I'm sure I'll see him around. This has to actually be a whole entire trip report to explain and describe how my mind was officially blown. I was doing everything from exploring the bark of a tree and squirrels nests in trees, to the migrating birds and the atmosphere, I was just exploring everything like a child experiencing life for the first time.
It has a lot to do with how I am recently clean of cocaine and opiates and getting my life together too. But yeah, it was so profound that I need to write up a report.

Usuallly it increases focus 67% so quite impressive. Less is more as well - as with evertything. I have definitive imaginitive potential so I get nice and stoned and everthing makes sense. Interesting concept.

I am on my third year smoking, and within the month I started I was smoking every day. I'm a straight A student and I do pretty much everything high. Every day I take two dabs for breakfast then head to school, then I bust more after school on the hour. Overall it depends on the person, I was really lucky and I can just do shit high as fuck, but I definitely know people who are fucking with their futures by smoking excessively. The only real problem I have with trees is the fact that it will mess with my memory, but it's usually just short term and inconsequential so meh. I will say though, I have to quit for the next month or two cause I got busted (just finishing up day 6 of sobriety) and I don't feel as there as when I'm high, I only sleep for two hours a night, and overall I find myself in plain old shitty moods/feeling shitty.

To paraphrase the great Dave Chappelle:

'You can function on weed, you're not crisp, but you can function.'

I used to smoke before everything and was fairly productive and successful. It seems like some people can function better than others, but it's also really difficult to accurately gauge how well you are functioning while you are high. Most people who are intoxicated believe they are functioning better regardless of the truth or other people's perception, regardless of DOC. I think people who smoke weed all the time can excel at things but their seems to be a ceiling dictated by the extent of the use.

Yea I've been there, I'm not able to smoke everyday at the moment because of my living situation but I will be moving out in January so I will see where my habits go from there. I may end up just resuming it as a social thing and not getting into daily use but who knows. The main drawbacks I have with smoking are the memory problems like you mentioned as well as the cost of it. When I start doing it everyday it becomes kind of a burden financially because I'm kinda introverted and don't really prefer to go around selling it to make up for costs. I'm also trying to get my private pilots license and I realize I need to be sharp for that. So I'm kind of in limbo with smoking right now and I will see where things go.

I'm bad with paperwork, but I LOVE the creativity that I show. I really look at things different from my usual perspective while smoking and I think it makes me more interesting. I also seem to be able to extract very old memories when I am stoned. I can almost see things as though I was there. I started crying one night because I recalled the layout and decor of my grandmother's house which I haven't seen in 30 years.

Been an experienced cannabis user over 15 years.

I used to be high all the time at school and functioned reasonably well.

I have cut way back since my late teens / mid 20's.

I will smoke here and there at work. Working as a sales consultant I find that my customer interactions usually benefit when I am high, but sometimes I get forgetful with paperwork. Overall not much is gained or lost from when I am high vs. not high. Sometimes if I am stressed it is helpful to get me out of a funk, sometimes it totally fucks up my short term memory regarding where I am in certain processes / emails / submitting contracts, etc.
I don't smoke weed much anymore because it's really expensive where I live but what I can remember of recent times smoking during school I just got really tired and couldn't really concentrate, so no, not for me
These are my sentiments as well. When I discovered pot in my teens, I smoker it when ever I got my hands on it day and night. I’m now in my late 20’s and my routine has completely changed.
I now smoke at night, my favorite stimulating strains when I get off work. That lil’ pick me up at the end of 2nd shift

Simple answer: Yes. Smoke almost every day or every day and you become used to the feeling.

Been smoking since 1984 and started dialysis about a month ago. First time I did it solo and unsupervised, I was high as a kite - so I would say yes.

However, like others have said, it depends on the strain. Some seem to absolutely destroy or obliterate my short term memory. Generally though, not an issue.

Tom

Cannabis makes me hyper aware of things and also very interested and engaged in learning new things. In that respect it can make me very very functional, the downside is that it completely destroys my social skills.

If i’m lucky or i smoke an incredibly small amount i just can retain basic social skills but i’m not as witty as usual. On the flip side of that i’ll get really paranoid and not speak much at all. So it can make me extremely capable if i’m working on something mentally demanding alone but if i have to converse with other people then i’m a wreck.

What about the concept of ‘over correction’.
I took 3 tokes before I went to work and I overcompensated and was more vigilant about what work needs to be done... etc.