• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Would you consider this child abuse?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jamesdean420

Bluelighter
This is a hypothetical question. There is a 14 year-old. Her dad makes herphyscally work from anywhere to 4-12 hours at a restaraunt. Sometimes on su day or Saturday's he'd make he sit in the office for 12 hours doing nothing. He's taken her clothes away. Scraping dishes doing silver wear doing dishes stacking. Cups etc. He doesn't pay her. She tells him she doesn't want t he starts yellin at her. On some occasions he's hit her and told her she was a mistake.

Yes that is child abuse. Is there someone at school that can get involved? How do you know about this? Teachers, doctors and therapists are all mandated reporters - meaning if they hear about this kind of stuff they have to report it to the authorities and take some action.

What is your relationship to the child OP? If you are in fact the person who is being abused, please reach out to someone (anyone) to get help. There are a lot of telephone numbers you can look up to talk to someone who knows what you can do. What part of the world do you or the child live in? With that info we could give you better resources.

This is a hypothetical question. There is a 14 year-old. Her dad makes herphyscally work from anywhere to 4-12 hours at a restaraunt. Sometimes on su day or Saturday's he'd make he sit in the office for 12 hours doing nothing. He's taken her clothes away. Scraping dishes doing silver wear doing dishes stacking. Cups etc. He doesn't pay her. She tells him she doesn't want t he starts yellin at her. On some occasions he's hit her and told her she was a mistake.
We don't really know the context of any of this, where it's happening, the details, etc.

The way he hits her is abuse, and the rest is questionable and not really abuse. Taking clothing away is not abuse.

Maybe he has her work in the restaurant because their family owns it, and he wants her to eventually become a co-owner of it as an adult? Or she expressed an interest in owning and running a restaurant?

Telling her she's a mistake could have just been a retort to something she said to him first during a verbal argument.

If he's a single parent and has full custody or partial custody of her on weekends, she may have to go with him to work and stay in the office.

Last edited:
Well to be honest, telling a child they were a mistake because you, as a parent, are pissed about what your 14 year old said in an argument is emotional abuse, flat out. My parents would have never said something like that to me.

Sounds like a bad situation. If hitting was involved, it seems unlikely to me that the rest of it is fine. Also the OP said that he yells at her if she tells him she doesn't want to work, doesn't really sound like it's her choice. But it's true, there is limited information here.

Making a 14 year old have a job at the family restaurant is not abuse. I assumed he owns the restaurant though now I can't see where the post actually specifies that. Working from an early age helps to teach responsibility and not being lazy. But the total content of the post makes me feel that something bad is going on here.

Although it could be that the OP is a similar age and is friends with the girl (if it's not about the OP him/herself), and the girl is pissed about her dad and venting and making it sound worse than it is. Hard to say.

Answers have been given. Should the op wish for further advice please don't hesitate.

Thread closed X

Status
Not open for further replies.