• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Heroin withdrawal

Billy123

Bluelighter
An acquaintance of mine who I've met after a long time told me that they are currently going through a heavy withdrawal from heroin. The first night they apparently used Gabapentin and it knocked them out but on the second day it didn't seem to work. My question on their behalf is if anyone else has been prescribed Gabapentin and if so how should they take it? Thanking you in advance for your help.

Basically how much Gabapentin do they need to take in order to counteract the withdrawals?

At least v1500mg every 4 hours is my recommendation

Depends on the individual and the severity of the acute withdrawal they're trying to treat. It could be as low as 300mg and as high as 4000mg. The only ROA you should consider is oral though (NO injection, NO smoking, NO snorting, NO rectal - all those things will be a total waste of the medication).

A pretty standard dose is 800mg three times a day for acute withdrawal. I've been in situations where less and others where more was necessary though. Totally depends on the habit/tolerance/dependency/etc. If the person has ever been dependent on gabaergic medication/substance before it will also impact what the right dose will be for them with the gabapentin.

Somebody told me about imodium. Long story short I'm clean now. Thank you for your help

Congrats! Even with comfort meds it's no small thing.

I always found the harsh part the months following the kick though. Do you have any plans for how you'll move forward with your recovery, or is the plan just not using heroin?