Study Effects of once-weekly Semaglutide on Appetite, Energy Intake, etc

Genetic Freak

Moderator: SIED
Staff member
Interesting paper from Leeds Uni:

Effects of once-weekly semaglutide on appetite, energy intake, control of eating, food preference and body weight in subjects with obesity

University of Leeds, Leeds, UK.. doi: 10.1111/dom.12931

Structured abstract
Aim: To investigate the mechanism of action for body weight loss with semaglutide. Materials and Methods: This randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled, two-period crossover trial investigated the effects of 12 weeks treatment with once-weekly subcutaneous semaglutide, doseescalated to 1.0 mg, in 30 subjects with obesity. Ad libitum energy intake, ratings of appetite, thirst, nausea and well-being, control of eating, food preference, resting metabolic rate, body weight and body composition were
assessed.

Results: After a standardised breakfast, semaglutide, compared with placebo, led to a lower ad libitum energy intake during lunch (–1255 kJ; P<0.0001), and during the subsequent evening meal (P=0.0401) and snacks (P=0.0034), resulting in a 24% reduction in total energy intake across all ad libitum meals throughout the day (–3036 kJ; P<0.0001). Fasting overall appetite suppression scores were improved with semaglutide versus placebo, while nausea ratings were similar. Semaglutide was associated with less hunger and food cravings, better control of eating and a lower preference for high-fat foods. Resting metabolic rate, adjusted for lean body mass, did not differ between treatments. Semaglutide led to a reduction from baseline in mean body weight of 5.0 kg, predominantly from body fat mass.

Conclusion: After 12 weeks’ treatment, ad libitum energy intake was substantially lower with semaglutide versus placebo with a corresponding loss of body weight observed with semaglutide. In addition to reduced energy intake, likely mechanisms for semaglutide-induced weight loss included less appetite and food cravings, better control of eating and lower relative preference for fatty, energy-dense foods.

http://sci-hub.bz/10.1111/dom.12932

Hmmm this would be very useful in contest prep over say sibutramine

Good info Genetic Freak, thank you.

Can anyone hypothesize if this could increase appetite potentially from dropping blood sugar too low? Going hypoglycemic is one issue I've had on more than one occasion and, if youve ever experienced it, you know you wanna shove carbs as fast as you can and you become a bottomless pit

Thanks for posting this GF.

If you've played around with liraglutide before, then I'd expect this to feel similar. It shouldn't cause excess insulin secretion because of its mechanism (through GLP-1). Certainly liraglutide never made me feel I do when like using a ghrelin mimetic or going hypo.

It should probably help most when insulin sensitivity is poor (ie during a bulk), but you'd expect it to do less in already healthy, low BF people with good sensitivity.

Personally I still think rosiglitazone (or ros + met) is going to be more effective for bodybuilders trying to improve insulin sensitivity, but I'll be happy to give it a try ;)