• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Is anal bleeding normal if you've been taking opiates orally for nearly a decade?

FunctionlJnkieGal

Bluelighter
I take ms contin daily, but this year I've noticed that sometimes I randomly bleed (severely) if I try to go #2. Even if I don't pass a stool, just barely straining causes me to get an ass-bleed (for lack of a better term, I guess). I suppose it could be my diet. I'm sure eating a bunch of bread and cheese on top of taking morphine isn't helping with the constipation at all, but I like what I like and I'd rather not change my diet or way of life (and I wouldn't be surprised if cheese really does effect your opiate receptors at least slightly because its one of the most addictive foods on earth). I don't have anal sex. Its just not my cup of tea so I know that can't be a factor, but is anal bleeding a common occurrence for opiate addicts (I rarely ever plug anything)?

Are you very constipated?

Bleeding can be a sign something else is wrong. If the bleeding is intense and won’t stop please seek medical attention.

In the meantime do you have food high in fiber?

Blood present in poo is basically hemorrhoids. More serious bleeding, i.e. further up the digestive trac, will result in black stools. Often tarry or sticky too.
Present blood is from much later in the process of pooing and is much less concerning.

Black sticky or tarry stools require immediate medical attention.

Either or both require a dr visit, but visible blood is believe it or not, less concerning.

Ive had both, am experienced in my answer.
Go see a doc, it wont hurt and will be wise

Indeed, definitely should make an appointment with a GP/gastroenterologist.

Go to the ER if it's anything, but light blood and even if you don't talk to your doctor. There's OIC meds and miralax works great. Probiotic enzymes too

I've never bled or anything but when I was taking opiates a lot I used to get really bad pains in my lower intestine area so it's not really normal but I'd say it's probably a constipation thing and other people probably suffer from it too. I think taking lactulose or bisacodyl would help but you'd probably start bleeding quite a bit with bisacodyl because it stimulates the nerves in your intestine or something and makes them contract so it might hurt quite a bit if you're already bleeding so just better to make a doctor appointment

Blood present in poo is basically hemorrhoids. More serious bleeding, i.e. further up the digestive trac, will result in black stools. Often tarry or sticky too.
Present blood is from much later in the process of pooing and is much less concerning.

Black sticky or tarry stools require immediate medical attention.

Either or both require a dr visit, but visible blood is believe it or not, less concerning.

Ive had both, am experienced in my answer.
Go see a doc, it wont hurt and will be wise

Torn rectal walls can also result in bleeding. This can occur from sex or a particularly sharp/large fecal expulsion.

You are correct though.

Also, keep in mind hemorrhoids are not always visible. Internal hemorrhoids aren't that uncommon so its not necessarily something more serious if the blood is bright red, youre not in pain and you dont see any.

When i went for my colonoscopy(which is something worth considering) the doctor told me as a rule of thumb, external hemorrhoids itch or burn and internal ones bleed.

Figured this was worth adding to the convo because when i was in your situation my stress level was through the roof.

Definitely consume some extra fiber and probiotics.

Do you go #2 regularly? I've gotten anal fissures from severe constipation and having to pass large stool, this might be happening with you.

Please note my comments are factual generally. ( i never considered damage to intentine walls, good point captain h.)
however, i have no experience with opiods, so this is a medical general response, not specific to something opiod drugs may induce... suxh as through major constipation

While its probably constipation related, blood in the feces could be many things such as diverticulitis, infection, inflammatory bowel disease. Get checked if you can to make sure.

I'm thinking its hemorrhoids due to severe constipation. I'll mention it to the doc when I go to visit. I probably could benefit from adding more fiber to my diet and backing off on the cheese and bread a little bit but my opiate use probably won't change at all. I only take a decent crap maybe once or twice a week. :\

I take ms contin daily, but this year I've noticed that sometimes I randomly bleed (severely) if I try to go #2. Even if I don't pass a stool, just barely straining causes me to get an ass-bleed (for lack of a better term, I guess). I suppose it could be my diet. I'm sure eating a bunch of bread and cheese on top of taking morphine isn't helping with the constipation at all, but I like what I like and I'd rather not change my diet or way of life (and I wouldn't be surprised if cheese really does effect your opiate receptors at least slightly because its one of the most addictive foods on earth). I don't have anal sex. Its just not my cup of tea so I know that can't be a factor, but is anal bleeding a common occurrence for opiate addicts (I rarely ever plug anything)?

Most likely you have opioid induced constipation and bleeding can be common. you should try to either get on Pro-biotics and or a laxative + stool softener combination. This should help you with your bleeding problem. It could be other issues but since you are asking in the opiate forums and didn't clarify any activities which might lead to bleeding other than opiate use i am lead to believe its caused by opiates seriously blocking you up.

have any stomach pain or constipation? do you have daily regular bowl movements?

Last edited:
Chemist4Hire, thanks for the info. That's probably what's causing the bleeding. I rarely have stomach pain, but I'm ALWAYS constipated and I have a BM once, maybe twice a week if I'm lucky. For as long as I can remember (even long before I've ever tried opiates), I've never been really regular and it's never happened for me daily but the opiates have made matters much worse, I think. The worst case of constipation I've ever experienced was actually the summer before I was in 8th grade. I was backed up for 2 or 3 weeks and had to take stimulant laxatives. Now with my morphine addiction, going once a week is normal to me, but seeing blood on the TP can be alarming. :(

Yep. Willing to bet it is caused by constipation issues that has resulted in developing internal hemmhoroids. I have this problem as well and been dealing with it for quite a while. They come mainly from straining and sitting on the toilet too long. I noticed medicated wipes like TUCKS help 'roids a lot.

As mentioned above if the blood is darker and has more of a tarry tacky and sticky texture to it, you may wanna go see a gastroenterologist and probably would want to get a colonoscopy.

Pooing while taking lots of opioids for a long time will definitely tear u a new one!

^ crude but true
never had an issue with my bowels until i started smoking heroin
literally shit blood a few times from the size of the poos afteer months of no movement

take care when you use opiates/ioids - use laxatives like deodorant - at least once before in the morning

I like Quaker Oatmeal. It comes in several different flavours. It makes a good bedtime snack. Brown sugar makes it taste better (I have a sweet tooth). If you ate oatmeal once daily it would make a difference within a couple days. I use to always be constipated but I'm eating healthier and eating oatmeal and I've become regular for the first time in my life (and I take opiods).

Kgeisel98 I'm probably gonna start eating oatmeal more now that you mentioned it. My favorite is Apple Cinnamon or Cinnamon & Spice. I have a vicious sweet tooth as well (I think opiates cause people to crave sweets to some degree) Do you think I should reduce my bread & cheese intake? I hear cheese is notorious for causing constipation as well, but being a vegetarian, I eat a lot of cheese in place of not eating meat. Why does everything I love (aside from coffee) have to constipate me so badly? :(

^ crude but true
never had an issue with my bowels until i started smoking heroin
literally shit blood a few times from the size of the poos afteer months of no movement

take care when you use opiates/ioids - use laxatives like deodorant - at least once before in the morning

U didn't shit for a month? And u ate everyday?