• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Hi there! A little help?

The insomnia and and anxiety are the only remaining symptoms, I think. Hard to say if the emotional stuff stems from continued WD or the insomnia or just life. My husband's friend died of an overdose of heroin yesterday - we didn't even know he had a problem. Our other friend's infant died the day before - brain cancer. I've been to funerals before but not two in one day. Saturday is going to be brutal. I'm having a pretty hard day.

I'm also continuing to have a really hard time getting motivated to work. It's becoming a problem and I'm not sure what to do about it.

Still better to be off those things, though. So, there's that.

Condolences Melhell, death is never easy.

What do your days usual look like in terms of what you've been doing since kicking? In terms of routine, diet, exercise, social stuff, etc.

Also, have you ever thought about a mindfulness based stress reduction class? It can be really useful for learning how to deal with moderate anxiety and panics attacks. Something to consider, although since money's tight for you right now it might be better to try it on your own first.

Does trazadone and gabapentin not help you sleep? I found that trazadone plus propranolol helped a lot with sleep post-kick. And melatonin, that combo works pretty well. Sleep is so important, and my quality of life takes a huge nosedive when I'm not able to get 6-8hrs/night.

Thanks, TPD.

My routine has been all over the place. With all of that stuff. I had been working out regulary until some back pain that had been getting better until a "pain relief" massage tweaked the shit out of it. It's really just now back to the center and not trying to go sciatica down my left side. My diet is meh some days and really good others. I have social stuff regularly and it helps. It seems like whatever I do, the relief is always temporary. It is the relentlessness of the anxiety and insomnia that it really difficult, in terms of what I think is still symptoms from the kick. But, hell, I don't know. The farther I get behind at my office, the worse the anxiety gets and when I sit down at my desk, usually, my heart starts it's trek into my guts.

I took 50 mgs of Trazadone last night and slept pretty well. I had stopped taking it due to headache. Dull headache is betterr than not enough sleep though. I'm out of gabs. I'm going to try the class.

Thanks so much for the encouragement and advise. You are more comfort and help than I can express.

HI mel,
I have enjoyed reading your journal... you seem to be very persistent and determined to stay away from certain substances... you sound strong! I also want to express my condolences for your recent losses.

Thanks, POke. I'm actually doing much better. That next to last post - and the last one - was during what I assume might have already been "down" days but were severely exacerbated by the death of loved ones. Tomorrow is still going to be really hard, but I'm going to be okay. I wish I had known that *Steve* had a problem. We could have talked. Feeling a connection to a dead person that you never knew you had while they were alive is indescribable. But the idea that I should have known is something that I created and have to let go of. The baby, that's another story. But, still. God, I can't even with that one. It's too terrible.

I've gotten a lot of work done in the last few days and it has helped TREMENDOUSLY. I think a lot of the left over anxiety is actually from - just - my life. It is a stressful career that I have chosen and taken 40ish days off (with the exception of good days back on) is UNHEARD-OF. I have a mountain of work to do and no assistant to help. I am terrible at stuff that requires attention to detail but am excellent at my actual job. Probably 50% of the required time in my office is dedicated to assistant type stuff. I'm used to bossing someone(s) around and doing the (in my opinion) fun stuff. It's been a little hard to adjust to and the time requirement whine I already struggle with give a shit on a very basic level is, well, difficult.

I've been reading a lot of motivational and inspirational stuff lately and thought I'd share my thoughts on one. After a long string of stuff that I could really relate to, I read - something along the lines of, "The most challenging/dire/awful days provide the most valuable/invaluable/important lessons." I though: Well, I really should be much smarter than this by now, then.

I'm doing better. I'm doing WAY better. It's just still a bit of a struggle. For whatever reason, that struggle makes me angry and that anger makes the rest of it less tolerable. I'm doing some MBSR stuff, now, though (thanks tpd) and it's helping.

So, Day 48. I've been purposefully not counting the days anymore. I looked for the purpose of this post - I thought it was helpful when I was reading others' recovery stories.

Life is getting better everyday. I'm able to curb the remaining anxiety by just keeping busy/getting stuff done or hanging out with loved ones or working out, usually. Except first thing in the morning - I'm still waking up much earlier than I'd like (and usually with some anxiety - 5:30 this morning) but am trying to stop being angry/anxious about it and just roll with it. Been in my office since 7 - catch up time. It means I have to go to bed earlier, though. It doesn't seem to matter what time I go to bed, I'm up by the time the sun is nomatter what, so my schedule is not my favorite, but not too bad, either. It will slowly get back to normal, I'm sure. In the mean time, I've got a lot of work to do, anyway. The anxiety is so much better, I'm down to 0 - .5 Xanax per 24 hours. No sign of wd. Whew.

Still have sinus isssues, a little fog and slight stomach and GI issues, but nothing drastic in any department. I think keeping the sleep regular is the most important thing I can do for myself right now but I'm also trying to eat healthy, exercise and am even kind of enjoying the meditating I've started doing (much to my surprise).

When I was preparing for this ordeal but was still taking Oxymorphone, I did a lot of research. I read at least once and I think twice, that you should wait until summer to kick/not kick in winter. I thought that was the most ridiculous thing - and still sort of do, if you're ready, do it now. However, having gone through this in a particularly cold winter (for my senses/location), I get it. At first, I thought it was because of the sensitivity to cold thing. I still think that's some of it. But really, for me, it is so important to keep busy. And it is much more difficult to do that when you can't enjoy the outdoors. I don't think anybody should wait for good weather to kick - it's not going to be comfortable no matter when you do it and you could end up not making it to that warm weather you're waiting for. I think if you are kicking in the winter, though, you have to make a plan, join a gym and/or just take extra steps to make sure you have stuff to occupy your mind and time.

Finally, Saturday was brutal but not as much in the way I expected. 11am was the first funeral - for the little boy. The parents chose to have bread-breaking gathering instead of a traditional funeral - no coffin, no sermon,,, no sad music - just a small prepared speech, lots of kids in attendance and friends gathering over a meal. It was still incredibly sad but the choices they made, made it truly a celebration of his little life (and all the other little lives there) instead of funeral-like.

The next one, however, was unbearable. Mostly because the entire funeral was about how Jesus died on the cross for *Steve's* sins. Not everyone's. Not that stuff plus what a great guy he was. Nope. Just "thank god jesus died on the cross for this poor morally corrupt sinner." It was fucking infuriating. It turns out, *Steve's* family is highly religious - we didn't know that we hadn't ever met them because they disowned him years ago. He talked a little shit about his parents now and then, but, who doesn't? Anyway, I'm not sure that's anything anybody wants to read, but maybe none of this is...

I hope everybody is feeling strong and having a good day.

Dr. Appointment yesterday went really well. Blood pressure is completely back to normal. No more clonidine patch! I was begining to wonder if that was contributing to the fatigue I was sometimes feeling - no other hypotension symptoms, though, so, hard to say. We'll see. I also got cleared to start back on my ADD meds which will almost certainly help with the issues I'm having getting work done. I'm really hoping that getting some of the mountain of work I have to do done will relieve some of the anxiety instead of the ADD med upping the anxiety. Fingers crossed.

I slept from 11 to 7:40 last night with no med help!

^+1

Really impressive Mel. It is such a joy to see people moving ahead - getting a good night sleep like that without medication is definitely a sign you're on the mend :)

Try and be careful with the ADD medication, last thing you need is to ramp up your anxiety or insomnia again.

And even though you might be feeling a lot better, try not to push yourself too hard. You're still on the mend, after all, and you'll have a much better idea of what level of stress you're comfortable managing without struggling too much around the 90 day mark. Which, btw, you're more than half way to =D

Way to go Mel! And thanks for the PM. I'm totally inspired by your thread and finally signed up after reading it. I'll keep watching for updates and inspiration because someday that's going to be me.

Sim and TPD, thanks so much, guys. You have no idea how much your support and input through this have helped. I am so grateful.

Determinedmom, you're so welcome. I'll keep updating and touching base with you. You've totally got this.

It's a beautiful, wonderful, awesome day, ya'll. I woke up at 8:30 (fell asleep around12) with no chest tightness/anxiety. I'll be kinda surprised if the (heightened) anxiety is just completely gone but, man, does it feel good right now.

So far, so good. No more waking up with chest tightening anxiety. The anxiety and insomnia are still there, but to a much lesser degree. I think not waking up with the anxiety is making it better all the way around.

This will probably be my last post on this thread for a while. I'll check back in a month or so just to let everybody know I'm still on track.

I slept last night from 10-8. Wow - I am slowly becoming less and less concerned if I'm not asleep by a certain time. I did take a gabapentin last night but that was for the nerve pain in my foot, not because I needed it to fall asleep. I'm still taking 3mg of melatonin sometimes, but I think that only partially has to do with any residual stuff, if at all. My job is super stressful right now. I've always had a hard time falling asleep when life is in high gear, it was the waking up through the night and really early in the morning that was getting me with this - and that seems to be over.

Anxiety is pre-opioid level 95% of the time.

Thanks so much for all the support and love. You guys have no idea how much it helped.

Mel

So...things are pretty great. No more mj, xanax or anything like that in weeks. Pain level in my foot is better than it has been in at least a year - still taking a lot of Advil and using topical meds. I feel pretty close, if not completely, back to normal. I hardly ever even think about it anymore - well, no more than once every few days or so (and even then, in "thank god that's over" kind of way). Which is pretty incredible, considering that less than 2 months ago, it was all I could think about.

If you're reading this, thinking you will never be "okay" again without them, trust me, you will. Hang in there.

So...things are pretty great. No more mj, xanax or anything like that in weeks. Pain level in my foot is better than it has been in at least a year - still taking a lot of Advil and using topical meds. I feel pretty close, if not completely, back to normal. I hardly ever even think about it anymore - well, no more than once every few days or so (and even then, in "thank god that's over" kind of way). Which is pretty incredible, considering that less than 2 months ago, it was all I could think about.

If you're reading this, thinking you will never be "okay" again without them, trust me, you will. Hang in there.

I will take this as further inspiration, that since you are more than two months ahead of me on your journey, that there is daylight if I improve. Because it sucks being on the "it's all I can think about" part!

Last edited:

Wow! I have just spent my morning reading your story. I am truly inspired by you!!! I am currently on day 5 of no pain pills. I was really, REALLY, Struggling with cravings. I physically feel fine...using gabapentin, CBD oil, mj both vapor and bud. The craving though....ugh. I came on this am to search for any advice on cravings! I have been reading your journey off and on all morning!!! ( kitchens do not clean themselves lol). I wont lie...im still thinking about pills. But this gave me so much hope ..at a time that i really needed it. Thank you.

Melhell: I just read your entire thread. I am so incredibly impressed with you. You set yourself free! Way to Go.