• MDMA &
    Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

Horrible hangover after taking MD every time after long-term use

darkcloud13

Bluelighter
Hi, just wanted to ask about something weird that's been happening to me (and my boyfriend as well) for some time now.

I use to do MD a lot, I mean every week when I was younger, I woud take 200-400mg probably in one night. What I loved about MD is that you didn't have any hangover after and sometimes you could even wake up feeling better. That was one of the reasons why it was my drug of choice.

So I continued using MD off and on about once a month/every two months, sometimes even once in 3 months, probably larger doses than I should have used. And then suddenly about a year ago I had some horrible hangovers. I was feeling nauseous, light-headed, like I'm actually ill (and sometimes I even was after using) and this went on for a week. For me I can't physically handle this because I'm not even able to go to work.

So I stopped using so often and later I took a break for 4 months. And the last time I did it was a week ago. And the hangover was there again, basically it just ruined my week and I wasn't able to do anything.

What I don't understand is why? Has MD completely messed up my body so I just cannot use it anymore? Is that possible? Or should I take a longer break and then try it again..? I have no long-term effects. I have fully recovered. I'm generally happy so I don't get why if I take this stuff it messes me up so bad. It's like I cannot take this substance anymore. And it's just sad cause I use to love this drug so much.

btw I don't have any problems with other substances

If anyone has similar experiences, please let me know. Thank you very much for reading.

Last edited:
I've known people to have similar things happen after they've abused MDMA. I don't think we realize all the compensations our bodies often make to maintain homeostasis and then at some point they are unable to compensate. Sounds like you may have just burnt the rope at both ends and eventually it has consequences and that threshold is different for everyone. I'd try a minimum 6 month break, maybe 12 and then give a low dose a go.

On another note, I've never gotten some sort of comedown and I've only ever used at 3+ month intervals and very reasonable doses so you may have just been lucky there for a while originally.

I had the same experience years ago. Then I quit and I had to wait for 5 years to enjoy the substance again without the awful hangovers. I don't dare to do a regular use since then, but once a year is ok for me now.

comedowns/hangovers start to get worse the more often you take MDMA I think. When I was getting on it three times a week I would get comedowns so bad my dad made me a doctor's appointment because he thought I was seriously ill or something. The second time I ever did MDMA and the first time I'd done it with anyone who did it often I couldn't understand what they were all complaining about when they were going on about the comedown. I thought everyone was angry at me or something because I thought we'd be having the same comedown and so I thought they aren't really having that much bothering them, but eventually you reach a point where the comedowns get a lot worse. I guess because of serotonin depletion or something. That's what really bothers me about things like pills and speed, they mess your head up. If you go to people like medical MDMA campaigners they'll tell you you have to wait 6 weeks minimum in between getting on it but I think that's just a ridiculous amount of time to wait even if it is true. I think the prescription drug remeron helps, so does 2-HTP but I've never used it. Sometimes using other drugs at the same time can make the comedown a lot worse. I know you said you don't use any other drugs but sometimes pills have lots of drugs in them. The Levi's that were over here last week were full of all sorts of dodgy stuff. Last weekend my mum was away and I did acid speed concerta and pills and I had the worst comedown of my life. Honestly if you took a break I don't understand why the comedown is being so bad, I think generally our bodies are just a bit shit at replenishing serotonin. Maybe taking some supplements would help?

I guess because of serotonin depletion or something.

If you go to people like medical MDMA campaigners they'll tell you you have to wait 6 weeks minimum in between getting on it but I think that's just a ridiculous amount of time to wait even if it is true. I think the prescription drug remeron helps, so does 2-HTP but I've never used it.

Honestly if you took a break I don't understand why the comedown is being so bad, I think generally our bodies are just a bit shit at replenishing serotonin.

Statements like this are way too common of the general MDMA user IMO and also why we can't have nice things. People don't educate themselves.

You feel like shit because you're bombarding your brain with copious amounts of neurotransmitters that weren't designed to be released like that in a regular basis. It drains you're stores of serotonin (hormone that regulates mood and about 1000 other things), down regulates 5HT receptors, and produces free radicals.

Why is 6 weeks a ridiculous amount of time to wait? Because you can't be a responsible drug user? There are changes that occur in the brain because of those drugs, IMO 6 is still reckless if done regularly and I'd say 10-12 weeks for responsible use. Also, it's 5-HTP.

Do you read any of the threads on here? Even one use of these drugs can have last consequences for those genetically prone but you burn the rope of your brain at both ends and eventually your body will lack the ability to compensate for the damage you are doing.