• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Able to detox with virtually no pain

Bluebird78

Greenlighter
Just wanted to share my detox story. Addicted to 20-24mg dilaudid a day. I have no problem getting them and my insurance pays it 100%. Of course I go through a month supply in 2 weeks every single time. Last month even got an extra 30 and had 20 percocets too.... still ran out. By using lyrica, gabapentin, l tyrosine, valium and low doses of nucynta, I got clean in about 4 days.... no real bad withdrawals. I crave the hell out of my dillies, but I think it's just wanting to abort something Idk. Well here I start over again... heroin kicked 16 years ago and now this. Wish me luck!

What is your dosing plan/schedule with these meds?

Good luck BB, you’ve got all the meds you need to do this comfortably.

Too bad you don’t have any buprenorphine, but if you dose the nucynta properly (and conservatively) it should work almost as well. Also too bad you don’t have any clonidine, but at least you have gabapentin and diazepam. Perhaps pick up some loperamide to help with GI issues.

Are you trying to get off the opioids for good or just deal with running out early this go round? I highly recommend finding yourself lots of supportive community folks to help you deal with the difficulties in early recovery if you’re trying to get off them for good. It won’t be easy, but you’re more than capable of it just as long as you keep trying. Even if you slip up down the road, that isn’t as significant as picking yourself up and just trying again.

Try try and try again, my motto in recovery. Doesn’t matter how much your fail just as long as you can learn something (anything, no matter how small) from each effort.

If you like to read get yourself Chasing the Scream, High Price and In the Realm od Hungry Ghosts. Not only are they amazing and fun books to read, but they’ll help give you a better idea of how to make your own journey in recovery work for you.

Also, any chance you can find yourself an MBSR class? Those are soooooooo helpful in terms of learning the skills to prevent and cope with lapses/relapses and just deal with the challenges that come with managing your mood without having to merely rely on opioid or getting loaded.

Well back on the same merry go round. They switched the diladid to 10mg oxycodone, and for some reason I can't even make them last 2 weeks, even though I get 90. Why is that? I am up to about 8 to 10 a day, one day I took 14. I'm only 125 lbs, and it just makes me feel normal. I haven't had any since Monday. Had 2 nucynta and other comfort meds. Had some mild depression for 2 nights, but no other symptoms except anxiety. Today I will try to be pill free. The thing is, in 2 weeks I will have access to another 90 oxys....ugh. I honestly dont want them in the house. If they're here, I'll say oh just a couple, and we know how that ends. I've found that just getting out of the house helps. I love to shop, and gave plenty of disposable income to do so, so I just keep doing that. Maybe not the best therapy, but it's not gonna kill me. I am all alone still.... no one knows. I keep trying to remind myself of how good I felt when I ate right and ran everyday. I'm tired of scheduling my life around pills. Like can I do this, or will I be sick. It sucks bad. I'm just scared, that's all.

Wow Bluebird, it looks like you have been riding this merry-go-round regularly. Why do you not want to be honest about what is going on with you? It sounds like you really are tired of living like this. I understand that you want the pills for when you have stones; maybe you could give the pills to your hubby to hold until you need them? A thought...

What is your dosing plan/schedule with these meds?

Too bad you don?€™t have any buprenorphine, but if you dose the nucynta properly (and conservatively) it should work almost as well. Also too bad you don?€™t have any clonidine, but at least you have gabapentin and diazepam. Perhaps pick up some loperamide to help with GI issues.

If you like to read get yourself Chasing the Scream, High Price and In the Realm od Hungry Ghosts. Not only are they amazing and fun books to read, but they?€™ll help give you a better idea of how to make your own journey in recovery work for you.

Also, any chance you can find yourself an MBSR class? Those are soooooooo helpful in terms of learning the skills to prevent and cope with lapses/relapses and just deal with the challenges that come with managing your mood without having to merely rely on opioid or getting loaded.

Toothpastedog, if you liked Chasing the Scream, try Dreamland. Same topic, in general, how Big Pharma brought on the current situation with OxyContin, who the main characters were, and also goes into great detail about the new heroin dealers who have moved into the suburbs and rural areas to supply addicts who got strung out on pills, and then found they couldn't get them any more.

Bluebird, the reason Oxy's aren't doing it for you is that Dilaudid is probably as strong, and it's very short-acting, so you get a "rush" on it you don't get from a longer-acting drug like OxyContin. It also means that withdrawal from OxyContin takes longer and might be more severe--might not but it definitely will take longer, which is a drag. The problem with getting your feeling of well-being from opiates of any kind is that it's basically tricking your brain into releasing lots of dopamine and other neuro-transmitters that normally all that good living--nutrition, exercise, and relationships with other people and the rest of life--is supposed to release. So by the time you come to the end of yourself, as we sometimes say, when you really want to jump off the roller-coaster, your brain no longer knows how to operate without drugs and you wind up with what's known in the psychiatric community as anhedonia, which is a very flat emotional state, where nothing makes you feel good. By then it's really hard and takes a long time to retrain your brain so it will work again. And this pretty much happens to everyone who uses artificial substances--including "natural" ones like alcohol--to deal with pain, especially existential pain. I hope you do decide to try to stay off the merry-go-round for a while, at least. You'll find lots of support here! ~namaste~

While I do love that kind of investigative journalism (and I think I actually have read that book), I find the whole examining the opioid "epidemic" to be rather disingenuous. Perhaps I'll have to find the book again and thumb through it. But if there is an opioid epidemic, then it is just one of a number of other potentially far more serious health and socioeconomic related "epidemics."