• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Share your favourite recipes..

tired of crap

Bluelighter
So i find that being hungry is a major trigger for my cravings. I also find that as i incorporate exercise into my routine im ravenous every 4 hours, if not sooner, usually at 2.5, like clock work. However, im getting bored with my recipes and thus wont eat as much as i should, be hungry and then turn to fast/ junk or snack food periodically throughout the week.

Typically i try to make a bunch of: chicken (whole, baked with onion, garlic and seasoning stuffed under the skin - then i turn the leftovers into stock to make soups), hard boiled eggs, home made fries, rice, quinoa, lentils and fresh cut up veg, at once. This way i have a (limited) variety of quick meals to warm up when hungry. Sometimes ill treat myself to tacos, alfredo, chili or spaggheti but its store bought sauces/seasoning.

So what do you folks like to make? Please feel free to share your favourite recipes. Breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks, whatever.. i enjoy cooking and experimentation with flavours but im stuck in a rut, mostly because its cheap and relatively healthy but i need to mix it up periodically.

Ps, i feel like ive made a thread like this before but i can never utfse properly haha.. and google isnt cooperating this morning either - does this mean im getting old??

I like to make smoothies high in protein and healthy fats. This quick eat is a great way to reduce cravings and negative symptoms associated with getting and staying clean. I take a half an avocado, unpasteurized milk, frozen blueberries half a banana some hemp protein powder and a cap of probiotics along with a teaspoon of chia seeds. Blend this mixture up in a blender and it is practically a meal. I found the addition of the avocado to be extremely important.

I got away from my breakfast smoothies (berries, half an avacado, almond milk, yogurt and banana) a while ago now.. not sure what it was but something was bothering my stomach ... I can eat all of it separetly without issue, though id never eat an avacado plain .. yuck ha

But ive also noticed a considerable lack of healthy fats in my diet recently and started including more of them.

I stumbled across a recipe for tahini freezer fudge.
3/4 cup tahini
1.5 tsp cacao
3 tbsp coconut oil
2 tbsp maple syrup
Coarse sea salt optional

Mix em all in a bowl on a double boiler til blended. Dump in container lined with parchment paper and freeze. Ready when solid.

I like to add
1 tsp vanilla
Substitute half maple syrup with half honey
And add about a 1/4 cup ground oats

This seems to give it more substance but either way I like em.

I'm pretty lazy when it comes to cooking, but I like to cook porkchops, chicken, burgers, and steak. After over a year of cooking up meats without any seasoning (I know, insanely boring but I also knew it was pretty damn healthy), I now use lemon pepper seasoning alongside regular ground pepper. For chicken I used to use paprika and ground pepper and I thought it tasted good. I'd like to start making actual recipes though. I also use the lemon pepper seasoning on pork lately and it really brings out the flavor.

Country crock butter, a lot of it (to taste, but a big scoop is wonderful) and eggs.

Stir them as you scramble them, so it curdles very slowly.

Towards the end add a big handful of chedder or monteray jack and a scoop of sour cream. No salt, no pepper trust me!

Absolutely wonderful, it's like pudding

Hello clogged arteries ;) comfort food definitely has a place in early recovery, especially when it's balanced by lots of good healthy leafy green vegetables

What are your plans for thanksgiving folks? Food food FOOD! =D

Im glad somebody else noticed. I thought it was just me being hyper critical ha. Though i did make home made noodles and cheese for lunch - so I shouldnt judge.

Thanksgiving has come and gone here in Canada eh. Christmas is next.. its even been started in the stores, only 2 days after Halloween too. Is a break between holidays too much to ask for haha... Im having people over for Christmas but Ill give that the thought when the time comes... Likely the typical fixings though. How about Thanksgiving for those American folks, any plans?

I'm inviting a bunch of monks and nuns to my thanksgiving celebration :) and a random blunt smoking Serbian dude who's down. It's gonna be epic ;)

Yeah! First time in a long time I'm actually looking forward to the holidays to any degree. Its nice to have a wider social circle these days. Thank you graduate school...

Is it just me or does that sound like the start of a tacky joke.. 7 monks, 3 nuns and 1 blunt smoking Serbian dude gather for Thanksgiving...haha

Im still working on widening my circle of friends but in the meantime Im focusing on strengthening the relationships that I currently have...

In a way Im looking forward to the holidays. Im hosting, and I always enjoy that - mostly because Im always driving these days, so itll be nice not having to for a change. However, this will be the first holiday season since Mom passed... So thatll present some difficulties Im sure. I had no idea it would be a challenge for so long.

I have a lot of swiss chard in the garden right now so I made a quiche with it and roasted some sweet potatoes and yams on the side. Roast the cut up sweet potatoes and yams with a bit of olive oil. smoked paprika and coarse salt (mine were cut to about 2 inch chunks).

Quiche

Make a pie crust or buy one at the store. I am a lifelong pie maker and I used to feel very snooty about making my own crusts but there are lots on the market now that use butter rather than lard and have no additives so if you do not keep baking stuff arounda bought crust can be every bit as good as one that is homemade.

Line a pie pan with the crust and bake at 450 for five minutes. Set aside and assemble the quiche.
Cook one chopped onion until golden
Add one whole colander full of chopped chard (or other greens) and cook just long enough to wilt. Set aside.
Shred 1 cup of a good strong swiss style cheese (Gruyere is best but expensive). Sprinkle half on the bottom of the pie crust and reserve half.
Beat 3-4 eggs (depending on size)
add to 1 cup of milk
Crumble a handful of of goat cheese and add to egg/milk mixture.
Add a pinch (small!) of nutmeg and a pinch of salt

Assemble by filling the pie pan with the onions and greens and pouring the egg mixture over it. Top with remaining swiss cheese.
Put the sweet potatoes in on a flat pan alongside the quiche.

Bake 10 minutes at 450 and then turn the oven down to 350 and bake at least 45 minutes more. When the quiche is golden brown on top and does not look liquid in the center (shake the pan and it should barely jiggle), it is done. If the yams need a little more time, it's fine because it is good to let a quiche set for a few minutes or longer after you pull it from the oven.

Here is a completely different recipe that I just got turned on to in Oaxaca, Mexico. It looks like a pale guacamole but there is no avocado in it.

Saute 5 chopped fresh jalapeños and 2 chopped onions. When soft, put in a blender or food processor and while it is running drizzle in olive oil until it is a creamy consistency. The guy that told me how to make it says that he will sometimes add a small drizzle of water at the end to get the consistency right. Serve with chips or as an accompaniment to tacos.