Recruiting Are the effects of concentrates different than marijuana? An anonymous survey.

Saokey

Greenlighter
Anonymous survey on concentrates and marijuana! Raffle prizes available.

Are the effects of concentrates different than marijuana? An anonymous survey for current cannabis users.

Hello!

I am a graduate student at Arizona State University and our team is interested in comparing the immediate and longer-term effects of marijuana (i.e., buds, flower) and cannabis concentrates (e.g., butane hash oil, hash, shatter).

If you are a current cannabis user, please take our roughly 20 minute online survey and be entered into a raffle to win one of two $200 Amazon gift certificates or one of four $50 Amazon gift certificates. Participation is voluntary and anonymous.

To learn more information and to participate in the study, please click on this LINK (https://asuclas.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_0BqH9SUhWHJrL5r)

If you have any direct questions, you may contact me at [email protected] or through the Bluelight’s private messaging system.

Please note the following: Participants must be at least 18 years old and live in the United States. Data collection begins September 2017. This research has been reviewed and approved by the Social Behavioral Institutional Review Board (IRB).

Thank you in advance and again, please let me know if you have any questions! We will greatly appreciate your participation!

Best,

Sarah Okey

Last edited:
This is really interesting, I firmly believe concentrates are far different from cannabis. It's still a cannabis high, yes, but you're affecting terpene ratios and therefore effects, as well as probably just the THC density itself vs lung volume could have some different effect.

I completed the survey, it is interesting that they asked how my life was possibly effected in a negative way. I have only had positive cannabis/concentrate experiences.

I think that, other than differences in content of psychoactive substances between cannabis and the concentrates you can make from it, a crucial element in the different effects you can get is that with concentrates you can smoke a huge quantity of cannabinoids in one small hit.
How quickly you increase plasma levels of a drug makes a great deal of difference in the effects you get.

One thing I have noticed is that the concentrates like shatter are so potent that when removed from daily use (on a trip somewhere without my stash), I simply cannot sleep and go through amazingly powerful withdrawals. I mean shakes, cold sweats, anxiety, total sleeplessness (even with a sleep aid), total lack of appetite, nausea, and probably something else I'm forgetting. That lasts exactly 3 days for me now.

I've been using cannabis for 30 years this year, daily for 25. I no longer smoke flower, as I've been exclusively dabbing for the last few years. With dabbing being so potent and the ROA is so rapid for the amount of THC and other cannabinoids, it feels more like what we used to call our homemade shatter back in the day -- hippie crack. Please excuse my crass language use here, but I'm making a point. I dab every day and now feel more of the physical withdrawals then ever before. When I was just smoking joints/bongs/flower and the odd hash blades, I could go without for a few days and NOT experience these symptoms, and could at least sleep without toking up.

From multiple sources, you can read about how chronic use affects the dopaminergic system, and how cannabis use can actually reduce functionality in certain areas of the brain. This is one of those articles: https://neurosciencenews.com/striatum-dopamine-marijuana-4059/
Clearly more study is needed, and now that it's legal in Canada, I'm sure we're going to spend some big dollars finding out.

Other studies found online from big schools like Harvard suggest how cannabis use can increase learning potential and how it can multiply pathways of neuro-connections. As with all of this, we're in the early stages, so we have to read it all and weigh it out for ourselves as we wait for more research to hopefully produce some real truths.

Thanks for doing the study and reaching out to Bluelight!
3.gif

Reading and writing this is making me realize that for myself to be healthy, I'm going to need to ween down a bit. My bank account will thank me, even if my self does not!

Last edited: