• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Volunteer work

cyberius

Bluelight Crew
I used to enjoy volunteer a work a lot before doing drugs as it helped out a lot and was a very pleasant and uplifting social outlet.

Can this also be used to network and get a job, or perhaps get into college easier?

It can definitely be used to network, to build up your CV, and to help recover self-confidence and a sense of purpose. What kind of volunteer work have you done in the past or do you think you'd enjoy?

Volunteer work is a great way to beef up your resume, network and use to get into a school. I used my time working for BL to help me get into grad school. Volunteering sounds like a great idea for you though cyb, as boredom is probably the most challenging part of early recovery.

What kind of volunteering were you thinking of? I know a lot of people who have really benefited from volunteering at no-kill animal shelters. Libraries are great to volunteer at, as are hospice and elder care units. Hospitals are always in need of volunteers, as are elementary and high schools. Community organizations are also a great place to look into, as are mental health service provides and needle exchanges.

What kind of stuff do you think you’ll want to study at school or do for a career? I’d try to look into options or volunteering in the fields you’re most interested in. One of the nice things about volunteering is that you have a lot of options and can find stuff in pretty much any field. It is a great way to network and make professional connections. A lot of places prefer to hire volunteers when there is a new position that opens up.

Keep your head up OP! You’re doing great :)

Volunteer work is a great way to beef up your resume, network and use to get into a school. I used my time working for BL to help me get into grad school. Volunteering sounds like a great idea for you though cyb, as boredom is probably the most challenging part of early recovery.

What kind of volunteering were you thinking of? I know a lot of people who have really benefited from volunteering at no-kill animal shelters. Libraries are great to volunteer at, as are hospice and elder care units. Hospitals are always in need of volunteers, as are elementary and high schools. Community organizations are also a great place to look into, as are mental health service provides and needle exchanges.

What kind of stuff do you think you’ll want to study at school or do for a career? I’d try to look into options or volunteering in the fields you’re most interested in. One of the nice things about volunteering is that you have a lot of options and can find stuff in pretty much any field. It is a great way to network and make professional connections. A lot of places prefer to hire volunteers when there is a new position that opens up.

Keep your head up OP! You’re doing great :)

I talked to another person on my path here, he did four years of psychology/bio double major and now he's going into a psychopharm major. I'm going to follow his path, and we're probably even going to be colleagues!

If I was a moderator again for this forum do you think it'd help my chances with post grad school?!

Depends on what kind of grad school program you're interested in and whether you can spin your involvement with BL as part of your recovery as I did I think (it isn't hard, just requires you keep working on recovery IRL and maybe work on being more active in our RS supports (specifically SL). Also, being a mod of NPD would probably help, and SL/TDS/MH.

I'd put your efforts into recovery and posting more in SL to start though. Don't want to put the cart ahead of the horse if I'm remember that saying properly. Once you get a footing in your early recovery (so, say 90 days post rehab), remind me about this and we can see if you're still interested in modding and maybe find a forum that needs help and open a recruitment drive.

I think it depends. I would never tell someone I wanted to hire or accept me into a program about my role in Bluelight, because there's so much stuff over the years here from me that I wouldn't want them to see. I think it's a risky move using your participation on a drug forum (that is how most people would see us primarily) for that sort of thing, it could fuck up your career, not that it WOULD, but it COULD. It's gonna depend on the sort of person your potential boss/professor/etc is. If they've got some draconian ideas about drugs, it would be a bad move.

That's really cool that you were able to do it successfully though, TPD. :)

Depends on what kind of grad school program you're interested in and whether you can spin your involvement with BL as part of your recovery as I did I think (it isn't hard, just requires you keep working on recovery IRL and maybe work on being more active in our RS supports (specifically SL). Also, being a mod of NPD would probably help, and SL/TDS/MH.

I'd put your efforts into recovery and posting more in SL to start though. Don't want to put the cart ahead of the horse if I'm remember that saying properly. Once you get a footing in your early recovery (so, say 90 days post rehab), remind me about this and we can see if you're still interested in modding and maybe find a forum that needs help and open a recruitment drive.

After 90 days please put me in the ballot for a sober living moderation position, or anything related to recovery. I'd ask now but my mind is definitely not in a place to worry about other people then myself right now

Try and remind me about it around that time. Staff will discuss whether or not it is appropriate to open up a new round of recruitment, and if you we do please apply. I can't guarantee anything, but - especially if you continue being a strong part of the forum between now and then - I don't think it would be unreasonable to set your hopes on coming back on staff (for recovery support forums I mean, like SL). Again, can't promise anything, but you'd definitely stand a good chance (at the very least).

Keep up the good work my friend. How is your weekend looking? Anything fun or planned for it?

That's really cool that you were able to do it successfully though, TPD. :)

Indeed, harm reduction is a big part of how I've gone about creating my personal/professional brand to set myself apart from other rats in this race called life in LA. I'm really pleased I can be (for the most part) open about my passion for harm reduction, public health and BL in particular. It actually has done a lot to help get support from like minded people. Harm reduction minded folks are generally very supportive when it comes to their peers, as I'm sure you know :)

That all said, I'm also really lucky I work in a field where being open about my former struggles with substance use disorder and my involvement with harm reduction is more of an asset than a burden.