• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

DXM GELCAPS and Urinary/Kidney Problems

embryo923

Bluelighter
I've been using dxm gel caps for almost a decade, chronically. 600-900mg. I've been doing it 3-4 times a week for a good 7 years, with a few breaks in between. I assume that is pretty bad... Recently my urine is foamy, smells like rust or metal and when i let it sit in the toilet, there is like some film that forms ontop. I am wondering if this is from kidney damage, like tissue being flushed out from damage from the robogels, does anyone know how they effect the kidneys? Any help or anything anyone can offer I would really appreciate. I am trying to turn my life around and be healthy again.

I'm not really familiar with DXM, but I know it can be pretty taxing on the body. 7 years sounds like a really long time to have been abusing DXM. Are you still using or have you been able to stop? Are the things you describe happening while you have been using or after a period of time of abstinence?

Are you experiencing other problems besides the stuff with your urine? I would think a number of things might cause symptoms like this but the only way to really know for sure would be to get a blood test as far as I know. I am pretty sure you can get screened for something like kidney damage without telling the doctor about a drug problem if you are worried.

I'm not really familiar with DXM, but I know it can be pretty taxing on the body. 7 years sounds like a really long time to have been abusing DXM. Are you still using or have you been able to stop? Are the things you describe happening while you have been using or after a period of time of abstinence?

Are you experiencing other problems besides the stuff with your urine? I would think a number of things might cause symptoms like this but the only way to really know for sure would be to get a blood test as far as I know. I am pretty sure you can get screened for something like kidney damage without telling the doctor about a drug problem if you are worried.
I don't have any other health problems at all, I am very healthy and in good physical shape. I have had blood and urine tests taken several times since this foamy urine started and they all came back with results within normal ranges, but I've read that most kidney damage isn't detectible until it's below 30-20% function which is already heading for total kidney failure. I think what is going on with me has to do with the filters in the kidneys, the renal papilla...here is a source which has citations to other sources https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renal_papilla

EUREKA!!

I believe I have discovered what it is! Ketonuria!

This is exactly what I think is the cause. I have been starving myself by taking DXM on an empty stomach in the morning and not eating all day so I can take benzos on an empty stomach when the DXM begins to wear off. And I have been losing weight. So the filmy, slimy stuff in my urine is likely fat, or ketotones from my body using fat for energy because of what I am doing to it with my drug abuse.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ketonuria
Ketones are metabolic end-products of fatty acid metabolism. In healthy individuals, ketones are formed in the liverand are completely metabolized so that only negligible amounts appear in the urine. However, when carbohydratesare unavailable or unable to be used as an energy source, fat becomes the predominant body fuel instead of carbohydrates and excessive amounts of ketones are formed as a metabolic byproduct. Higher levels of ketones in the urine indicate that the body is using fat as the major source of energy.

So, do you have any desire to stop? This sounds very harmful to your body. What do you think fuels your desire to keep it up at this point? I know DXM can be incredibly psychologically addicting to some people.

I am very badly psychologically addicted to DXM or just a high in general. I am really trying to stop, and I will be using this forum for support as I get off this crap and get my life back together. I appreciate the response Herbavore!

I would think that it could be a number of things, including the two conditions that you mentioned. I'm hesitant to make an assumption because it would be based mostly off of speculation without much information. That's crazy that most kidney damage isn't detectable until near failure. Is that something the doctors told you? I believe you, but just curious about the source of the info.

To be completely honest, I think your time and effort would be much better spent focusing on way to reduce the damage caused by drug and eating habits, rather than trying to make a self-diagnosis. If you don't stop the damage, it won't do much good to know what is specifically wrong as it will continue to get worse until you correct your living habits.

What types of things drives you to use DXM? Are there anything specific in your life causing anxiety or depression? Are you trying to escape from despair or lusting after the euphoria, or a bit of both? I know I used not only to escape a lot of my feelings but also because I just loved euphoric drugs and honestly loved the self-destructive danger associated with drug use.. it's kind of hard to explain but I think many people with substance use disorders can relate.

Substance use disorders(addictions) and eating disorders tend to go hand in hand. They tend to amplify the negative effects of each other and overall increase the damage caused.

It's important to address what is driving you to get high, whether it is stress, sadness, lack of emotions, a desire for happiness.. whatever it may be specifically. Likely, there are changes in your lifestyle and behavior that will need to take place in order to overcome the addiction. It's a process of not only removing bad/negative habits, but also developing new healthy habits. Finding new ways to cope and manage emotions and removing some of the things that cause negative emotions.

Let us know how things are going, hopefully we can help you through this tough time.

As far as I am concerned the use of DXM even in low doses should be regarded as similar to the use of K in low doses in terms of damage to the urinary tract. On the othe hand K is especially irritating to ones kidneys.

One day researchers will find long term daily use of DXM can cause interstitial cystitis and other urinary problems. The research may already exist.

It would be wise to track your urinary health and mentally document any increase in urgency or pain or the inability to go. When those symptoms start to manifest it will be extremely important to stop.

Last edited:
I would think that it could be a number of things, including the two conditions that you mentioned. I'm hesitant to make an assumption because it would be based mostly off of speculation without much information. That's crazy that most kidney damage isn't detectable until near failure. Is that something the doctors told you? I believe you, but just curious about the source of the info.

To be completely honest, I think your time and effort would be much better spent focusing on way to reduce the damage caused by drug and eating habits, rather than trying to make a self-diagnosis. If you don't stop the damage, it won't do much good to know what is specifically wrong as it will continue to get worse until you correct your living habits.

What types of things drives you to use DXM? Are there anything specific in your life causing anxiety or depression? Are you trying to escape from despair or lusting after the euphoria, or a bit of both? I know I used not only to escape a lot of my feelings but also because I just loved euphoric drugs and honestly loved the self-destructive danger associated with drug use.. it's kind of hard to explain but I think many people with substance use disorders can relate.

Substance use disorders(addictions) and eating disorders tend to go hand in hand. They tend to amplify the negative effects of each other and overall increase the damage caused.

It's important to address what is driving you to get high, whether it is stress, sadness, lack of emotions, a desire for happiness.. whatever it may be specifically. Likely, there are changes in your lifestyle and behavior that will need to take place in order to overcome the addiction. It's a process of not only removing bad/negative habits, but also developing new healthy habits. Finding new ways to cope and manage emotions and removing some of the things that cause negative emotions.

Let us know how things are going, hopefully we can help you through this tough time.
I really appreciate your response, thank you. I am self medicating basically for depression/PTSD and also have used it recreational in the past, I am a musician and DXM played a big part in my creative process. But now it's just out of control, I no longer get that "magic: from dxm anymore. It's just a burden. But it seems like when I wake up in the morning some days, I just feel like it would be a great idea to go get some gels and take them...so stupid. I'm getting my family more involved and my financial situation is not sustainable under these conditions so I have to stop, and eliminate this drug from my life. Everyone who has responded and offered their advice it means a lot and makes me feel better and I thank you for it, really. I'll keep updating on my progress. I just want to smoke some weed and that's all.

All of you guys have been so kind and helpful, I wish I could express my gratitude more thoroughly than just through text, but please know that your words and advice, and the time you have taken to offer help means so much and I carry it with me even after I leave my computer.

. That's crazy that most kidney damage isn't detectable until near failure. Is that something the doctors told you? I believe you, but just curious about the source of the info.
Here is the source:
https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/172179.php

Chronic kidney disease, also known as chronic renal failure, chronic renal disease, or chronic kidney failure, is much more widespread than people realize; it often goes undetected and undiagnosed until the disease is well advanced.

Chronic kidney failure, as opposed to acute kidney failure, is a slow and gradually progressive disease. Even if one kidney stops functioning, the other can carry out normal functions. It is not usually until the disease is fairly well advanced and the condition has become severe that signs and symptoms are noticeable; by which time most of the damage is irreversible.

/\ Thanks for the source, that is interesting. With that considered and in regards to your physical health, beyond getting regular check ups I don't think worrying about what is wrong will benefit you. Removing damaging habits and replacing them with healthy habits is about all you can do, I would think.

I'm a musician myself and definitely relate to what you are saying about drug use and music. I experienced the same thing, initially found drugs to give me a little boost in creativity and diminish my inhibitions and fears. Over time though they end up hindering creativity and become an unnecessary burden(the seems necessary at the time). To be completely honest, when I first got sober I felt more creative and driven than I had in years. My musical drive fluctuates recently, but I find that I am much more capable when I am sober. Having full cognitive function makes your much more capable and skilled than when intoxicated. I think ultimately this leads to more creativity and complex ideas.

It's good to hear you are reaching out for support. Do you have family or friends who understand where you are coming from who are also sober?

UPDATE

I have still been using DXM in robogel form, 3-4 times a week at doses of 750-900mg

I've started becoming extremely emotional and having crying spells. I just want to put this here for the record for any other DXM psychonauts out there, it's really an addictive drug and so easily accesible that it makes it hard to stop...Driving anywhere I see a CVS or Walgreens and it just triggers me. I'm stuck in a loop but I'm making music and doing my best to be the best person I can be. I still have foamy urine but I started to hydrate myself much more and eat alot of watermelon for the kidneys. Anyone else have a DXM story?

Not necessarily a big DXM story, but I have found myself using around 30mg of DMX a day in the form of nightime cold pills (15mg DMX HBr, 6.25mg Doxylamine Succinate, 325mg Acetaminophen per pill X 2 pills daily) for last 2 yrs give or take a few months. Not sure what it is about those little bastards since I really don't get any buzz or trip off of such a low dose. Although it does help me relieve stress extremely well & serves as a sleeping aid also. I definitely get how this crap can become pretty psychologically addictive.

Although personally I do not base my eating schedule around it & only take one dose daily after work (around 4 to 5pm). The more posts your like your I see the more I think I need to cut it out of my drug usage TBH. I also take 3mg of Suboxone daily, smoke roughly a pack & a quarter of cigarettes daily, smoke around 2 grams of pot daily, & take 1 to 1.5mg of Xanax 3 to 4 times per month so anything removal or reduction of the substances I take should surely help some. Very tough to do while I am feeling fine & have yet to be affected negatively by my usage of those things. Though I definitely do realize it's only a matter of time before my behavior bites me in the ass.

Sorry to hear to hear that your DXM usage is affecting your health, but I will say I doubt you have caused any permanent damage to your kidneys. Also you are definitely doing the right thing by getting kidney function test & blood work. I think maybe a taper might help with your journey to drop DXM completely since you have reported back that you are still using despite trying not too. Maybe reduce your dosage by 25 to 50mg a day till you get down to a point where you find yourself craving after the latest dosage drop. Then start dropping by smaller increments & possibly putting more time in between dosage drops.

The other thing I was curious about is when you say robogels, do you mean gel pills that contain only DXM, or are you using the same type as me which contains acetaminophen &/or Doxylamine Succinate? The amounts of those 2 substances you are intaking to get to 750 to 900mg of DXM daily would concern me far more as far as kidney damage is concerned than the DXM itself. Anyways be safe & I wish you the best on trying to drop DXM for good! ;)

I have tapered down to around 400-600mg and will continue tapering down, I'm starting to see that it is possible and I can do it. The death of a friend recently has really played a major role in me wanting to really take this seriously, even though he didn't die from DXM, he was a DXM user and I do believe DXM was in his system and contributed to his death from CNS depression in combination with benzos and opiates.

Not necessarily a big DXM story, but I have found myself using around 30mg of DMX a day in the form of nightime cold pills (15mg DMX HBr, 6.25mg Doxylamine Succinate, 325mg Acetaminophen per pill X 2 pills daily) for last 2 yrs give or take a few months. Not sure what it is about those little bastards since I really don't get any buzz or trip off of such a low dose. Although it does help me relieve stress extremely well & serves as a sleeping aid also. I definitely get how this crap can become pretty psychologically addictive.

Although personally I do not base my eating schedule around it & only take one dose daily after work (around 4 to 5pm). The more posts your like your I see the more I think I need to cut it out of my drug usage TBH. I also take 3mg of Suboxone daily, smoke roughly a pack & a quarter of cigarettes daily, smoke around 2 grams of pot daily, & take 1 to 1.5mg of Xanax 3 to 4 times per month so anything removal or reduction of the substances I take should surely help some. Very tough to do while I am feeling fine & have yet to be affected negatively by my usage of those things. Though I definitely do realize it's only a matter of time before my behavior bites me in the ass.

Sorry to hear to hear that your DXM usage is affecting your health, but I will say I doubt you have caused any permanent damage to your kidneys. Also you are definitely doing the right thing by getting kidney function test & blood work. I think maybe a taper might help with your journey to drop DXM completely since you have reported back that you are still using despite trying not too. Maybe reduce your dosage by 25 to 50mg a day till you get down to a point where you find yourself craving after the latest dosage drop. Then start dropping by smaller increments & possibly putting more time in between dosage drops.

The other thing I was curious about is when you say robogels, do you mean gel pills that contain only DXM, or are you using the same type as me which contains acetaminophen &/or Doxylamine Succinate? The amounts of those 2 substances you are intaking to get to 750 to 900mg of DXM daily would concern me far more as far as kidney damage is concerned than the DXM itself. Anyways be safe & I wish you the best on trying to drop DXM for good! ;)

No the pills I refer to as "robogels" are Robotussin Gel Caps, that are pure DXM with no other main ingredients other than the usual dyes: Blue#1 and Red#40, sorbitol, glycerin, and gelatin. So, no, there is nothing else in these pills. I have taken Doxlyamine Succinate for sleep and to get a nice "opiate" like effect when I was desperate but I don't take anything with APAP (acetaminophen).

Thanks for your response, I would say be VERY careful even with the suboxone and benzos, mixing those CNS depressants can KILL you. I'm sure you know what you're doing, just feel the need to emphasize that mixing CNS depressants is no fucking joke at all. I'll keep updating, thanks for the replies everyone!