• MDMA &
    Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

Post-MDMA depression and SSRIs

Cbo95

Greenlighter
So basically I started on Lexapro 5mg last week for anxiety and depression, I went to a party on Saturday night and there was a lot of MDMA there. I had read taking it was pointless but I thought I'd give it a go. I felt euphoric and energetic as per usual and kept taking more (I don't know why, I'm usually a lot more careful). I was handling it well but after about four hours I felt a biiig come up as if lots of what I'd taken had only do worked then. Crazy gurns, the whole lot. Anyways it's Tuesday night now and I've continued the lexapro normally and today was insane, it didn't feel like a normal brain lacking serotonin feeling (I've gone through it before). Since last night I've just had extreme anxiety and random bouts of crying and depersonalization. I really don't feel normal at all. Is it because or the lexapro and is it bad I'm still taking it? Is this something I should tell my counsellor?

I know I fucked up, I really do. Having no idea how much MDMA I took and feeling like this it isn't something I want to repeat so please no need to remind me. Thanks

Amphetamines, like MDMA, are well known to cause rebound anxiety afterwards. If you then already have anxiety (and depression) it will amplify this. What you are feeling is quite normal given the circumstances. Do note, and I've seen this a million times before, that you can further increase this anxiety by worrying and researching what you're experiencing, though this is of course totally understandable. If this happens, the increased anxiety will increase your symptoms, because a few of them stem from anxiety in the first place and this will in turn make you worry more which will in turn.... you get the picture, you can put yourself into a self-reinforcing loop this way. It is insane the (physical) symptoms anxiety can manifest itself as, though you might doubt this at the moment. So, what to do?
1) Get off of the internet, continue your life as best you can and accept you have a hangover which will pass. Make an effort to try to put it out of your mind as much as possible
2) Continue treatment. You could mention this to your counselor if you think he is open to such things
3) Abstain from all drugs for a while. This includes things like weed, also known to cause anxiety with heavy use
4) Exercise. This is probably the most important tip. It's amazing the impact very regular, intense exercise has on recovery
5) Eat & sleep well or as well as possible

You're going to be alright. Everyone always is, given time. You didn't do any permanent damage and the body has an amazing way of rebalancing itself given the proper care. Follow this advice and you'll see that you'll get right back to your old self. Might take a few days or weeks but you'll be alright. I've done much much muuuuuuuch worse and I'm alright too, same for everyone I know personally and a huge amount of people I met on this website

Trust me, the actual effects that the MDMA caused are much lower than what you are feeling. Your anxiety is super amplified simply due to your fear of what might have happened to you. Just calm down and realize that what you are experiencing is normal and will get better and better with each day. You are not permanently messed up by any means. It is just hypochondria.

If this persists please schedule an appointment with a true and good psychiatrist. There is not a thing wrong with seeking good help. In fact, it is the smart thing to do.

You are likely stuck in a cycle of panic. One leads to another. Breathe and know that panic and anxiety absolutely cannot hurt you. When you give into it, that’s when the anxiety wins. When you realize what it is and just say “oh it’s just anxiety....it’ll pass”.......that’s taking control.

Years ago I had a bad intense roll. I will never touch any drug again.
Panic and anxiety began to rule my life sadly. I finally made the choice to seek help from a great psychiatrist. I was on Lexapro for a while, but it didn’t do much. I now take Prozac and extended release Xanax daily at bed time (small amounts). I have had much fewer bouts of anxiety. Almost none.

You need to stop the drug use. Kick your own ass. Stop! You have one life. Having a little fun is not worth feeling scared and horrible. Stop the drugs for good.

I suffered for such a long time and just yurned to feel NORMAL. Grounded. Stable. How sad to have done something to take normalcy away from yourself. I blamed myself for a long time......but then I got good help!

Eat healthy. Go to the gym and do some cardio and working out. Get those good endorphins running. But seriously.....get the right medicine if this isn’t working for you. It is the right thing to do.