• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Cannabis to reduce depression

garnet888

Ex-Bluelighter
I know you've read about the pros of medical Cannabis. But what about the fact that it improves mood and reduces anxiety and depression? Has anyone proven this as a fact?

I believe that this is only the case for certain strains. They may be different for some people, but for me Strawberry Master Kreme and OG Kush have given me significant antidepressant effects, while Purple Kush, Yorkshire Kush, and a few others I can?t recall or never knew the name of did not.
There is something besides the THC/CBD that is responsible for this and therefore the results of different studies may vary widely.

Last edited:
There are a lot of mixed reports. As far as clinical studies, I'm not personally aware of any. It seems like due to the federal status of cannabis it is difficult to prove either one way or another. Some claim that cannabis helps with anxiety and depression, others claim that there are higher rates of depression among cannabis users and that it can exacerbate anxiety.

I am highly skeptical about claims that strains with similar cannabinoid content have measurably different effects. I'm not arguing that a 20:1 CBD:THC strain is going to have the same effect as a 1:20 CBD:THC strain, but that the whole "indica dom vs sativa dom" claims are largely a marketing technique. Generally the idea is spread by bud tenders who lack knowledge of the cannabis plant and industry or by sites like leafly that benefit from having traffic on their site and use general descriptions that can be applied to any strain. For example, things like "uplifting" or "euphoric" could be used to describe any strain. Also, breeders and producers have financial incentive to push forth the notion that their strain is unique and totally different than other strains on the market. There is virtually no regulation or consequence for making outrageous claims either, so buyer beware.

The different strains may be closer than marketers would have you believe in term of effects. But there are indeed differences, and one of the most notable ones is euphoria.
I’ve smoked both ‘indicas’ and ‘sativas’ that consistently improve my mood, controlling for other factors, and ones that don’t affect my mood.

As someone with GAD (not officially diagnosed but it's pretty obvious) and a really stressful life lately, weed does reduce stress by making me feel like everything's going to be OK in the long run, but I still get a bit of anxiety. It goes away minimally if at all. With sativas it doesn't really, with indicas it does.

The THC levels, ratios/relative to CBD and Terpenes all play a part.

But yeah. I use some strains of Cannabis for anxiety, insomnia (way better than using Zopiclone), depression (better than SSRI's which put me in the hospital through normal use) and nausea. The effect is no more than 3 hours and requires repetitive and enjoyable dosing :)

Is it a fact? From my perspective, yes. What you might call euphoria I would probably call antidepressant.

The most powerful anti depressant effect I've gotten has been from a Super Lemon Haze. Best anti anxiety came from high CBD strains. Afghan Kush for insomnia and best anti nausea seems to be from hybrids or hybrid Kushes.

I'm replacing one 4 meds with one (that has so many variants). so it does require some personal dialing in I think.

Tom

People are different and work in different ways. Some people dont gain certain feelings or things from drugs, medicines and so on. But for me personally, it has been a big, big help for both anxiety and depression. I have had my share of SSRI and SNRI medications, also some diapams / opamox etc (sedatives to combat anxiety) but got no help of them at all, actually, ended up being nothing but harm with the side effects

But in its own way I think its beautiful - the fact that we all work differently and we all have to find our own ways to combat those feelings. Whether they are drugs, sports, meditation or whatever. But maybe I am going off topic with this one now

Only problem has been the fact that its one of the very few things that make me enjoy life anymore and feel genuine joy. Now that I havent been able to get it for a long time, I really crave it. And feel worse day by day. Its addictive, but in a way that many other things are, like candies can be. Mentally.

To answer this question simply depends on what you do after you smoke. I always hang out with my friends, ride my bike, listen to music, and eat interesting foods.
One time I went camping with my two best friends and smoked some Texas Shoreline, twas a fantastic night. One I will literally never forget around that perfect bonfire. We laughed and talked about our various weed stories.

Final answer; it depends on what you make of it.

From my personal experience it can go one of two ways. It can either make it worse or better. There's no saying which way

Shit I don't know how I'd handle winter seasonal affective disorder without weed, helps a lot.

I agree 110% with Jem699. It can definitely go one of two ways. Depends on things like the person them self and the type of weed.

I know you've read about the pros of medical Cannabis. But what about the fact that it improves mood and reduces anxiety and depression? Has anyone proven this as a fact?

it is known to greatly increase anxiety and depression. when i abuse it I am pretty fucking miserable and obsessive about things that are trivial, both high and not high.

sporadic use doesn't seem to cause problems though...but the drug is so compulsive for me its impossible to sit on.

it is known to greatly increase anxiety and depression. when i abuse it I am pretty fucking miserable and obsessive about things that are trivial, both high and not high.

sporadic use doesn't seem to cause problems though...but the drug is so compulsive for me its impossible to sit on.

Not that I disagree that weed CAN sometimes increase anxiety and/or depression, but it also is known to SOMETIMES reduce anxiety and depression for some people.

It's just that the way you said that sounds so "definitive" that it simply DOES increase both.

As someone with both some anxiety and some depression who's smoked a shitload of weed, I would say it can increase or decrease both depending on strain and other factors as well.

I've had it make me more anxious and depressed and had it make me less anxious and depressed at different times in my life.

I think a lot of its effects of to do with the amount of CBD/THC ratio and also the differences between sativa and indica.

I am very curious to see once weed gets legal in more states whether or not being able to specifically used the strains with a high ratio of CBD to THC ends up allowing me to more easily find strains that don't cause anxiety or depression and I'm guessing that eventually I will.

I mean I went to Amsterdam in 2004 but back then I never saw anything on the weed menus at the coffee shops that said THC or CBD ratio but I think things have changed now.

Theoretically, strains high enough in CBD seem like they "should" be capable of not producing either anxiety or depression.

I feel introspective when high. I am able to see insights and work on my issues. I find it quite therapeutic

I feel introspective when high. I am able to see insights and work on my issues. I find it quite therapeutic

I agree with these benefits. But for me it quickly turns into 24 7 use and then these positive insights on life get overshadowed by the obsessive thoughts.

If I could buy just a single joint every know and then weed would be practical for me...but I can't have an eight on hand due to no self control

I smoke every day, I have no self control. Here in Vancouver BC it is so easy to get to. Just go to the dispensary and buy what you want, Hash, Shatter, bud. I start to freak if I run low and go get more. I also like to keep a selection on hand because I am a connoisseur LOL. I also smoke and Vape bud and vape shatter as well as smoke some has. Yep no fucking self control. And I know if I take a few days off I will get much higher but I cant seem to get around to it.

I agree with these benefits. But for me it quickly turns into 24 7 use and then these positive insights on life get overshadowed by the obsessive thoughts.

If I could buy just a single joint every know and then weed would be practical for me...but I can't have an eight on hand due to no self control