First song you remember hearing?

swilow

Sr. Moderator: AADD, CE&P, TD
Staff member
Now, I grew up with The Beatles and The Stones and all sorts of jazz stuff, but the first song I really remember hearing was Kokomo by The Beach Boys. IIRC, it came out at the same time as an awesome 'Best of . . .' and I recall really wanting to hear more by this band after Kokomo (a song that I now no longer especially care for* :D). I was 6 at the time.

*The Beach Boys were, however, a fucking awesome band in the 60's at least.

Not sure if this is the first but it is definitely one of the earliest ones I remember 'cause thanks to the catchy chorus "our house, is a very, very, very fine house..." which my mom would sing along to and try to get me to sing along with her

Our House - Crosby, Stills and Nash

^ how fortuitous

this is is the first song I remember definitively, as in where I was and what I was doing

Most likely though, my real first was something from Appetite for Destruction. My mom and dad were really into GnR. That cassette was always in our car. By the time I was 4 or 5 though, grunge hit, and that’s what eventually lit the spark for me I guess.

Percy Faith and his orchestra playing The Song from Moulin Rouge. Second or tied would be his Theme from A Summer Place. I still feel like it is the embodiment of my earliest childhood happiness.

I love that our age differences mean that the songs of my adolescent internal and external revolution are the "first songs that you remember" being played by your parents!:D<3

^^ Percy Faith is great,

To be fair, one of my first music memories was:

Some kid played the heck out of this every morning for two weeks straight, lol..

Now, I grew up with The Beatles and The Stones and all sorts of jazz stuff, but the first song I really remember hearing was Kokomo by The Beach Boys. IIRC, it came out at the same time as an awesome 'Best of . . .' and I recall really wanting to hear more by this band after Kokomo (a song that I now no longer especially care for* :D). I was 6 at the time.
[/video]

*The Beach Boys were, however, a fucking awesome band in the 60's at least.

I rem in 1988, Cocktail meant Kokomo got loads of airtime on the radio. I wasnt a fan of Cocktail but I always loved this tune! :D
Actually in th 80's film soundtracks usually offered a pretty good mix of classic rock, old and new. There was also a big revival in 1950's inspired movies which meant, there was a proliferation of 50's classics on the radio att.

I'd say the Beatles, Sgt. Peppers were most early record, listened to in full. My father had an epic collection of vinyl, that I still have and built on.

I was lucky enough to have some older relatives, that sang a lot and remember this one fondly.

Probably either classical or oldies played by parents but I have no idea what exact song.

I was born before a fair amount of B L 's members, I'm guessing. Here's the one that sticks in my childhood, they were all 78 rpm china records back then, not even vinyl. 45's or 33 1/3 what 's that ?!

Needless to say that they probably wouldn't make this record now regardless of the material of the record's construction:

Last edited:
Pretty sure it was this. Or I can Sing a Rainbow ;)

^
* the story song from moulin rouge and starship. Hehe awesome sounds.

Most of my early music memories involve the Beatles and Bob Dylan. The title track from Sgt Pepper is the first song I remember noticing.

for beatles fans ….Among Donegan’s appearances in 1956 was a concert at the Empire Theatre, Liverpool. Paul McCartney was in the audience and he became inspired. Also, during a school lunchtime Paul had gone down to the theatre to glimpse his idol and noticed that Donegan was writing notes to the employers of factory girls, explaining why they were late – they’d spent time in their dinner hour waiting for him. Paul was very impressed by the gesture and felt that this was the way that stars should behave.

Donegan’s Liverpool appearance sparked Paul’s desire for a guitar and his father, Jim, bought him one for £15.

A 14-year-old George Harrison, who’d originally met Paul on the bus on the way to the school they both attended, went round to Paul’s house to look at his teach-yourself-to-play book. George recalled: “We learned a couple of chords from it and managed to play ‘Don’t You Rock Me Daddy’O’”.

The Donegan appearance also sparked off George’s desire for a guitar and he bought a second-hand one from a boy in school for £3, which his mum had lent him.

George’s brother Harry was to say: “Lonnie Donegan was appearing at the Empire and of course George just had to go. In fact, he borrowed the money from our parents so that he could see every single show! Anyway, he found out where Lonnie was staying, which happened to be in a house in Speke, so George went round and hammered on the door until he came out and gave George his autograph. Of course, he immediately raced home to show everyone.”

In an interview with the music paper Disc, George Harrison was to comment: “Lonnie and skiffle seemed made for me…it was easy music to play if you knew two or three chords, and you’d have a tea-chest as bass and washboard and you were on your wa

Voodoo Chile
Jimi Hendrix

Dad's band playing in the basement.

Tom Jones- What's New Pussycat. My parents jammed that one a lot, that and anything Elvis Presley. :D