• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Clonazepam solution as a liquid for e-cigarettes?

coriolis

Bluelighter
I apologize in advance if my question is not suitable for this scientific discussion. In no way I want to try it but I am curious what would happen if I put my blue Rivotril drops to the electronic cigarette instead of the mixture of nicotine, glycerol and PE. Would an aerosol be formed, a vapour of clonazepam, or of the solvent? :)

No, the MP of benzos isn't known because the imine fragments the 7-member ring. Clobazam or 2'F clonazepam MAY be stable enough but you need 2 solvents. One with a BP lower than the drug and one with a higher BP than the drug. The MP is 180-182 deg C so it would be quite a trick to make such a product. It would be popular if developed, but who is going to develop it? 99% perspiration.

Can you explain a little more about how this happens?

Look at the excipients in normal e-cigs. Propylene glycol & glycerin are very common. One has a MP lower than freebase nicotine, one has a MP higher. All liquids have a vapour pressure i.e. they all have a certain % in the gas phase. Something to keep the temperature at the point designed to release a given amount of nicotine freebase. So check out the physical details of those three.

Then I guess it might be possible to do with 2-fluoro clobazam (since clobazam is a controlled drug) if it is legal in your locale.

I think I haven't given a route, just how you would determine a route. Many things are possible but many become pyrrhic victories. While not many people have IVed benzos, I have seen it done. Those who have can attest that it has a huge tolerance/dependence problem. I am guilty of breaking rule 1 and it took me 18 months to get clean. That was just swallowing tablets.

If you do this for yourself then it is your body. But don't do this to anyone else or you will inevitably kill people. Opioid abstinence syndrome FEELs like you are dying but benzo abstinence syndrome DOES kill you. Tonic clonic seizures kill. Novel benzos, especially the less studied 2,5-subtype are a little more dodgy. Unless you find the papers and patents and ensure that Ames, hERG & similar in vivo data as well as extensive in vitro (animal models) then you never know if you have the new thalidomide. How do you know the LD50, ED50 and so on. It is a LOT of work to do in a responsible manner and whatever the results, the best is going to be a drug with a HUGE addiction liability.

I've never enjoyed physical chemistry, so correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think you're right that e-liquids for e-cigarettes require two solvents with specific boiling points in relation to nicotine. To my knowledge propylene glycol and glycerin are two common solvent choices but they are not used exclusively as a mixture. The melting point of the solvent and the melting point of nicotine is not important for vaporization either IMO. An e-liquid is contained in a closed chamber from which it is fed onto a heated coil, but the point of heating is not bringing the mixture up to boiling, but simply heat it enough so that a fraction of the solvent along with nicotine and aromas vaporizes and is then released pressurized.

BTW, the name "atomizer" is misleading, an atomizer is a device in which molecules are broken down into atoms, no such thing takes place during vaporization of an e-cigarette. In this case "atomizer" is used as a synonym for "vaporizer". Why on Earth someone came up with such use?

Whether the construction of e-cigarettes used for nicotine solutions would work for benzodiazepine solutions, I don't know. If the stability at required temperature is not an issue, then why not, but some research into dosing would be required as it is not possible to directly translate the amount of nicotine in a vapour/aerosol (solution of nicotine in gaseous solvent, it's just semantics IMO) produced by heating a given nicotine solution with known concentration in a given e-cigarette into the amount of diazepam released under the same conditions.

Anyway, I've found a patent for a device for diazepam delivery via vaporization and apparently there are numerous similar patents for different drugs. Link here

Last edited:
I can still remember that people were using phenazepam via e-cig and it worked apparently. I dont know if this means that all benzos can be vaped or if its just due to properties unique to phenazepam

Sounds very risky. Maybe your doctor could entertain another medication that most suits your needs?