• MDMA &
    Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

MDMA and Effexor/Venlafaxine (SSRI/SNRI)

suidomreh

Greenlighter
I have recently been prescribed 75mg of Effexor for depression and only taken it for 4 days. And about that time I remembered I had an MDMA pill I had been waiting to use, but it quickly came to mind that antidepressants generally null the effects of MDMA if you have been taking them for at least 3 weeks... or so I thought. So I decided to pop it before I hit my 3 week mark. I was sadly met with the reality that I would not be rolling that day. It appears that 3 week mark is not by any means set in stone, at least not for Effexor. It might also be due to the fact that my Effexor dose is higher than the usual starter dose. However, I did still experience effects, but it was a quite different experience. I had minor jaw clenching, mild body euphoria (no head euphoria), social tendencies, minor visual changes, and slurred speech. It was comparable to the feeling you get right before the initial rush of your come up. It even felt as if it were going to kick in at any moment, but it never did. The strangest part was that feeling lasted 12 hours until I went to sleep. Though, my social tendencies ended up turning into antisocial tendencies. Getting to sleep was a challenge, I felt amped up, but when I started drifting into sleep, I started feeling a strong head euphoria with minor visual changes comparable, but lesser, to the colors you see on MDMA, and got really hot as well. I did lack the full body euphoria you would expect though. Overall, it wasn't completely terrible, but it was pretty much a waste of MDMA. And before you wonder or assume it might not have been MDMA, it was tested and I had used 4 pills from the same batch with no problems.

Last edited:
That sounds like what I would expect to happen when taking MDMA while on an SNRI course. Some people report no effects at all, some have some minor effects but for nearly everyone it dampens the effects of MDMA at least to a very noticeable degree. A friend of mine described it as if he took a low dose of some very high quality speed (amphetamine)

I wouldn't try again but just go through treatment first before you roll again. Apart from the fact that you won't feel much anyways, taking MDMA while battling depression is very ill-advised in most cases. It can alter your mood for a short while after, usually in a positive way but depending on circumstances it can sometimes have a depressing effect. Also keep in mind that it might take a long time after you stop taking the effexor to be able to fully roll again. It depends on how long you're going to be on it but people that have been in treatment for a long time sometimes report that it takes many months for the feeling to return

Yes I knew that this sort of thing happens, but I didn't expect it after only 4 days, but now I know. I will certainly not try again on this med as the experience just bummed me out as I was expecting more.

As far as rolling while depressed, this has not been an issue for me, likely because depression has been something I have dealt with for the majority of my life and any lows that one might experience after rolling are just normal to me (I likely already have low serotonin). But the short, wonderful, breaks from all that really helps.

Last edited:
I've been on mirtazapine + effexor (my dr calls it california rocket fuel LOL) for close to 3 years now, coupled with 1-2mg/day of lorazepam and i've been rolling on and off since 2015. so far i usually dont take my meds 1 day before rolling as it really killed my high twice and most of the time the pills i got were 75-80% clean. the only times that it actually got me super high was when the pill wasn't cut with anything like caffeine or some rubbish. but the 'hangover' the next day usually sucks for me and my seratonins drops super low that i have to taper my meds to calm me down.

I've been on mirtazapine + effexor (my dr calls it california rocket fuel LOL) for close to 3 years now, coupled with 1-2mg/day of lorazepam and i've been rolling on and off since 2015. so far i usually dont take my meds 1 day before rolling as it really killed my high twice and most of the time the pills i got were 75-80% clean. the only times that it actually got me super high was when the pill wasn't cut with anything like caffeine or some rubbish. but the 'hangover' the next day usually sucks for me and my seratonins drops super low that i have to taper my meds to calm me down.
Everyone is different. Some people can roll on SSRIs, though seemingly always to a lesser degree. I can't, at least not with Effexor. Trazodone on the other hand, never seemed to affect my rolls. I have also heard that the side effects and drug negating effects of SSRIs taper down after using them for an extended period of time (approx 2+ months). Though, I do not know the legitimacy of that claim.