• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Recovery Recovery journal

Oregonpothead

Greenlighter
Approximately 10 days clean

Just kicked a 10 year 110 mg methadone habit. Knowing what was in store I switched to short term acting Opiats.
last time I did this was 17 years ago. Being sure didn't make it any easier. My main issues are a horrible migraine and the not being able to sleep. Thank god i live in Oregon ?So I have ponds of great pot. That is really helping.
ive taken a 2mg zanny at night the last three days but I know that slippery slope. How many days till that becomes a problem?
Any suggestions for relief would be greatly appreciated

Hey man, I'm on 110 mgs of methadone currently, no plans to taper or get off though, and I've been on/off methadone (always on opioids) for the the last 10 years. Great job on making it 10 days.

With the Xanax I'd say physical dependence can take weeks to begin, but the psychological dependence on its effects can manifest sooner I'm sure.

first off, welcome to BL and congratulations on your 10 days!
yes xanax is a slippery slope, you should look into other methods to help with the post-acute withdrawal symptoms
have you visited our recovery support forums? i'm sure they will be able to help you with your xanax issue as well as many others
but yeah, well done man keep it up - and don't trade one addiction for another
best of luck!

Thanks for the replies, I did just ordered a months supply of NAD. Live cell treatment.
its an enzyme that is supposed to really help especially with the after affects of detoxing.

I'm 52 and this isn't my first time so I am aware of switching habits. As far as the zannys I have took them for the last few days just to help sleep. Thanks for the info on the heads up on the recovery support forums.

glad to be of help mate and yes pls do check out the recovery forums but also plz check in with us here at OD on our social thread, it's fun there :D

10 days means you’ve got this. The worst is well over. Now the challenge is keeping the number of days going. It’s going to be mostly mental for you at this point. I wish you good luck. :)

Major Kudos for Oregon Pothead

To Oregon Pothead: Wow! What you have all achieved is monumental! I was on 90 mg methadone per prescription for many years, then I screwed up and got cut off, cold turkey. It was unbelievably painful! I felt so amazingly good when I finally got completely through it, though. Until the pain came back, and damn, I'm right back on them, at only 40 mg/day though w/no increase in 2-3 yrs. I don't plan to up the dose; thanks for reminding me of why. And...HOT DAMN! YOU KICKED IT!!! Go eat a cake with a tub of Cool Whip! Take an awesome hike. CELEBRATE. LIVE. You are a WINNER, today. Praying for you. Persistence is key!!! :)

Last edited:
No energy and a massive headache and hard to sleep still at 11 days can't wait till I get the NAD. Hopefully my dr. Will give me something to sleep

whats this NAD you speak of man?
and be careful with the sleepers, i know they're probably necessary for you at the moment but use them sparingly and not consecutive days or you'll just end up trading one addictong for another.
have you heard of pregabalin or gabapentin? they're supposedly quite good for PAWS - i get them for something else but they're lifesavers in WD.
keep at it bro ༼ ༎ຶ ෴ ༎ຶ༽

11 days sober so far. Just kicked a 10 year methadone habit. Tapered down to 20 mg and switched to short term acting Opiats. Still can't sleep and have one hell of a headache and absolutely no energy still.

What comfort meds do you have? Is there any particular support or advice you’re looking to get?

I highly recommend working with a private psychiatrist or MD to help treat you condition. You stand a much better chance of avoiding relapse if you can get professional support.

What opioids are you currently using to try and deal with withdrawal?

NAD is a live cell treatment. A coenzyme that will repair your brain function and help get better a bit faster. Was $176 for a month. The best is an IV enfusion but $1100. Just started them today. I also have a recovery journal going.

Gabapenton, and I just started NAD. Its a live cell treatment. A coenzyme that will repair your brain function and help get better a bit faster. Was $176 for a month. The best is an IV enfusion but $1100. Just started them today. I also have a recovery journal going.
I'm going to a dr tomorrow hopefully get something for sleep. Also clonadine for my blood pressure. I'm 52 years old. Spent the first 6 days in a detox Centre. Last time I kicked was 17 years ago. It was much easier. Definitely a great reminder to never use Opiats again. Oh and of course lots of cannabis and CBD distillate. ��

The gabapentin and clonidine will help a lot. If you can tolerate it 800mg IBU with food is quite helpful for headaches.

I suggest you take a nice hot bath or shower, take some gabapentin with a little food and lay down in a cool dark quiet room. Even if you can’t sleep it will help with your headache. Or just distract yourself doing something that isn’t too stimulating.

This would be a great time to learn to meditate :) I highly recommend looking into a MBSR course. Those are super helpful in early recovery. As are manicures, massages and acupuncture.

How is your diet and exercise?

I had acupressure and acupuncture in rehab. And back to my yoga and meditation ever since the 4th day in rehab.