• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

US: In one year, drug overdoses killed more Americans than the entire Vietnam War did

Jabberwocky

Frumious Bandersnatch
More Americans died of drug overdoses in 2016 than died in the entirety of the Vietnam War — the result of the US’s opioid epidemic.

That’s one takeaway from a new report by Josh Katz for the New York Times, based on preliminary data estimating how many Americans died of drug overdoses last year.

The official, more precise numbers will be available later in 2017 — once the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) finishes tabulating and verifying reports from across the US.

In the meantime, the Times contacted local and state agencies across the US to come up with a rough estimate. It calculated that 59,000 to 65,000 people died of overdoses last year, with a harder, but likely imprecise, number of 62,497.

durg_deaths_chartsf.jpg

In comparison, more than 58,000 US soldiers died in the entire Vietnam War, nearly 55,000 Americans died of car crashes at the peak of such deaths in 1972, more than 43,000 died due to HIV/AIDS during that epidemic's peak in 1995, and nearly 40,000 died of guns during the peak of those deaths in 1993.

The Times can’t specify how many of the overdose deaths were caused by opioids, much less what kind of opioid — painkillers, heroin, or fentanyl — was behind the deaths. But based on the past few years’ trends and on-the-ground reports, most of the overdose deaths were likely linked to opioids and an increasing amount were linked to fentanyl.

The total, if it holds true, would surpass 2015’s record for most recorded drug overdose deaths in US history. Back then, more than 52,000 deaths were linked to overdoses. The Times estimates there was a 19 percent increase between 2015 and 2016 alone, which would be the largest known increase in drug overdose deaths for any single year yet.

Although it’s hard to say for certain, the Times suggested “the problem has continued to worsen in 2017.”

In short, the opioid epidemic was already the deadliest in American history in 2015. And it got much deadlier in 2016 — and is likely even worse so far in 2017.

The opioid epidemic, explained
This latest drug epidemic is not solely about illegal drugs. It began, in fact, with a legal drug.

Back in the 1990s, doctors were persuaded to treat pain as a serious medical issue. There’s a good reason for that: About 100 million US adults suffer from chronic pain, according to a 2011 report from the Institute of Medicine.

Pharmaceutical companies took advantage of this concern. Through a big marketing campaign, they got doctors to prescribe products like OxyContin and Percocet in droves — even though the evidence for opioids treating long-term, chronic pain is very weak (despite their effectiveness for short-term, acute pain), while the evidence that opioids cause harm in the long term is very strong.

So painkillers proliferated, landing in the hands of not just patients but also teens rummaging through their parents’ medicine cabinets, other family members and friends of patients, and the black market.

As a result, opioid overdose deaths trended up — sometimes involving opioids alone, other times involving drugs like alcohol and benzodiazepines (typically prescribed to relieve anxiety). By 2015, opioid overdose deaths totaled more than 33,000 — close to two-thirds of all drug overdose deaths.

Seeing the rise in opioid misuse and deaths, officials have cracked down on prescriptions painkillers. Law enforcement, for instance, threatened doctors with incarceration and the loss of their medical licenses if they prescribed the drugs unscrupulously.

Ideally, doctors should still be able to get painkillers to patients who truly need them — after, for example, evaluating whether the patient has a history of drug addiction. But doctors, who weren’t conducting even such basic checks, are now being told to give more thought to their prescriptions.

Yet many people who lost access to painkillers are still addicted. So some who could no longer obtain prescribed painkillers turned to cheaper, more potent opioids: heroin and fentanyl, a synthetic opioid that’s often manufactured illegally for non-medical uses.

Not all painkiller users went this way, and not all opioid users started with painkillers. But statistics suggest many did: A 2014 study in JAMA Psychiatry found many painkiller users were moving on to heroin, and a 2015 analysis by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention found that people who are addicted to prescription painkillers are 40 times more likely to be addicted to heroin.

So other types of opioid overdoses, excluding painkillers, also rose.

That doesn’t mean cracking down on painkillers was a mistake. It appeared to slow the rise in painkiller deaths, and it may have prevented doctors from prescribing the drugs to new generations of people with drug use disorders.

But the likely solution is to get opioid users into treatment. According to a 2016 report by the surgeon general, just 10 percent of Americans with a drug use disorder obtain specialty treatment. The report found that the low rate was largely explained by a shortage of treatment options.

So federal and state officials have pushed for more treatment funding, including medication-assisted treatment like methadone and buprenorphine.

Some states, like Louisiana and Indiana, have taken a “tough on crime” approach that focuses on incarcerating drug traffickers. But the incarceration approach has been around for decades — and it hasn’t stopped massive drug epidemics like the current crisis.

Source: https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2017/6/6/15743986/opioid-epidemic-overdose-deaths-2016

While I don't exactly deny the existence of the problem. I must confess I have a lot of skepticism when I hear about "drug overdoses". It's one of those things where how people define it and how it's defined in the statistics are very different.

I've seen a lot of suicides called simple drug overdoses along with a lot of other things that people aren't really thinking of when they read "drug overdose death".

and instead of blaming the DEAs failure and them making the problem worse througought the years....they blame doctors and sick people

and instead of blaming the DEAs failure and them making the problem worse througought the years....they blame doctors and sick people

I wouldn't blame the DEA, i woulf blame law makers.
DEA are in the business of law enforcement, they're a product of prohibition.

Man the DEA is every bit as responsible. They try and justify their own existence, they dd do all sorts of shit to influence policy and prevent sensible drug policy from getting anywhere that goes way beyond "I just enforce the law I don't make it". They are guilty too.

They don't just enforce the law, they try and keep it the law.

For that matter, all the major federal law enforcement agencies have long histories of corrupt, unlawful, and highly immoral behavior that went well behind just enforcing the law. The only exception might be the secret service and only that's probably just because of their narrow purview of counterfeiting and fraud.

True. Lots of people have a vested interest in maintaining the insanity of the status quo.

Most people are selfish. They have a habit of always finding what's best for society happens by coincidence to also be what's best for their own self interests. Cause most people decide first and then find the evidence rather than finding the evidence then deciding.

I wouldn't blame the DEA, i woulf blame law makers.
DEA are in the business of law enforcement, they're a product of prohibition.

I agree, the public is just as responsible if not more so for buying into media hype driven by law makers. Cops and DEA agents are really just following orders from above, although they may do their own part in publicly pushing an agenda as a citizen.

The public aren't the ones in power and thus don't have a responsibility to know better, the politicians do and the DEA does.

I say this in spite of my profound dislike of and frustration of the mainstream public.

The public are the ones who vote in the politicians (in theory - we all know politicians pay more to their donors than the electorate)

You know, I don't even really know why I'm defending the public either. They're ignorant assholes who can't help but fuck everything up.

I guess cause it seems like politicians are more morally responsible and complicit in the maintainence of the status quo than the voters are. They both suck.

You know what, I don't care anymore. Neither are worth defending and having thought about it I don't think I'm really interested in arguing over which one is more at fault. Fuck em all.

We all share blame for the horrors of this world.
No one is innocent.

Yeah I wasn't trying to initiate an argument or defend anyone, just agreeing with the fact that the DEA is a body of law enforcement created by legislatures in a democratic society. The DEA doesn't define the parameters that they operate in, that is the job of the those who write the laws and create organizations such as the DEA.

As I watch everyone from the politicians to school administrators, doctors, parents, the guy next to me on the bus and everyone else try to get a neat and tidy explanation for this epidemic followed by (usually moralistic) solutions I can only think that it is part of the greater epidemic in amerika: the epidemic of meaninglessness and loneliness. You can pile all the laws and all the rehabs and all the changed medical policies in the world on top of that sad national crisis and you will still only watch it grow.

We developed a dangerous, out of control, manic world empire based on the religion of consuming. We marketed impossible images of perfection to every level of society so that no one, no matter how they appear to fit the ideal, feels adequate, feels worthy of, or even comfortable in, their own existence. We elevated the trite and the superficial and we severed our own connections to the basic pleasures life has always offered. We drove each generation to aspire ever more diligently to lives that we knew deep down to be shams. Nothing is ever enough. The oldest and most basic human desires, to be seen for one's authentic self, to be valued for that uniqueness by a larger group, to contribute meaningfully to that group, to have a connection to nature that is both immediate and mysterious, to have hope as a birthright--all of these have been denied so artfully, so completely insidiously in order to keep us buying products that we rarely recognize the hypocrisy; though we suffer from it internally in isolation every day. Want to address the "opiate crisis"? Try revolution. It starts inside. Overthrow the planted voice that calls out "failure" with the regularity of a demented cuckoo clock. Stake a claim for yourself outside of this madness and do what you can for those around you, especially children and young people. So much of it is "The Emperor's New Clothes" fable and when one person acknowledges the BS it empowers a lot of other people to do the same. The true addiction that is killing us is the addiction to consumerism and all the truly sick behaviors and thought-prisons that engenders. The opiate epidemic is both a response to and a battle in a terrible war: the war against ourselves.

OK, rant of the day over. Maybe an hour in the garden will help. 8)=D<3

Yeah I wasn't trying to initiate an argument or defend anyone, just agreeing with the fact that the DEA is a body of law enforcement created by legislatures in a democratic society. The DEA doesn't define the parameters that they operate in, that is the job of the those who write the laws and create organizations such as the DEA.

The DEA can act outside the bounds of the law and make up thier own laws. Emergency scheduling for example.

No votes no congress no science needed...all that's needed is they say a drug should be scheduled.

As I watch everyone from the politicians to school administrators, doctors, parents, the guy next to me on the bus and everyone else try to get a neat and tidy explanation for this epidemic followed by (usually moralistic) solutions I can only think that it is part of the greater epidemic in amerika: the epidemic of meaninglessness and loneliness. You can pile all the laws and all the rehabs and all the changed medical policies in the world on top of that sad national crisis and you will still only watch it grow.

We developed a dangerous, out of control, manic world empire based on the religion of consuming. We marketed impossible images of perfection to every level of society so that no one, no matter how they appear to fit the ideal, feels adequate, feels worthy of, or even comfortable in, their own existence. We elevated the trite and the superficial and we severed our own connections to the basic pleasures life has always offered. We drove each generation to aspire ever more diligently to lives that we knew deep down to be shams. Nothing is ever enough. The oldest and most basic human desires, to be seen for one's authentic self, to be valued for that uniqueness by a larger group, to contribute meaningfully to that group, to have a connection to nature that is both immediate and mysterious, to have hope as a birthright--all of these have been denied so artfully, so completely insidiously in order to keep us buying products that we rarely recognize the hypocrisy; though we suffer from it internally in isolation every day. Want to address the "opiate crisis"? Try revolution. It starts inside. Overthrow the planted voice that calls out "failure" with the regularity of a demented cuckoo clock. Stake a claim for yourself outside of this madness and do what you can for those around you, especially children and young people. So much of it is "The Emperor's New Clothes" fable and when one person acknowledges the BS it empowers a lot of other people to do the same. The true addiction that is killing us is the addiction to consumerism and all the truly sick behaviors and thought-prisons that engenders. The opiate epidemic is both a response to and a battle in a terrible war: the war against ourselves.

OK, rant of the day over. Maybe an hour in the garden will help. 8)=D<3

Veery true....we all have our reasosn for starting and continuimg drugs. Mine are directly connected to your explanation.

The DEA can act outside the bounds of the law and make up thier own laws. Emergency scheduling for example.

No votes no congress no science needed...all that's needed is they say a drug should be scheduled.

That's what I mean. Even within the bounds of their discretionary powers they are total amoral dicks. They take it way behind just having to do their jobs.

Yawn. You guys remember the meth epidemic from 2003-2009? It was the same articles. Faces of meth all that shit. There may have been fewer outright deaths from overdose but it left just as many fucked up lives. The truth is there will be a new drug menace on the scene in 5 years and the same pattern will play out.

I'm a so called victim of this "epidemic" but to me it had shit to do with pill availability or doctors. I wanted Oblivion and heroin offered it no mystery there.

Yawn. You guys remember the meth epidemic from 2003-2009? It was the same articles. Faces of meth all that shit. There may have been fewer outright deaths from overdose but it left just as many fucked up lives. The truth is there will be a new drug menace on the scene in 5 years and the same pattern will play out.

I'm a so called victim of this "epidemic" but to me it had shit to do with pill availability or doctors. I wanted Oblivion and heroin offered it no mystery there.

This raises a good point, you ever notice that for all our labeling it as an epidemic, we still kinda act like the people who end up on the drug are at fault unlike a real epidemic?

Personally I?d rather we just didn?t call phenomenon unrelated to infectious diseases epidemics. It?s just media sensationalism. And we keep stretching the meaning further and further. Epidemics of drug addiction epidemics of obesity, epidemics of gambling epidemics of overspending epidemics of debt and so forth.

Most of those also have a strong element of ?they brought it on themselves? in people?s minds.