• ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Shale

Bluelighter
PROFESSOR MARSTON AND THE WONDER WOMEN
Movie Blurb by Shale
October 17, 2017

Today, for the first time in two months, I went to the Cinema. Hadn't even planned that except 'Publix Girl' called and invited me to see the new movie Marshall, playing at the Regal on SoBe. I looked at the trailer and it was a biopic of Supreme Court Justice Thurgood Marshall's early life in the civil rights struggles. Seemed an interesting piece of history to absorb even if it was in disturbing times.

So, we meet up at the Cinema and in our chatting, she mentioned that her next movie to see was the one about the origins of Wonder Woman, to which I said I saw the trailer and really wanted to see that. Thus, the tickets were changed and we both saw the more entertaining movie.

This is the story of Professor William Moulton Marston (Luke Evans) and his relationship with his wife Elizabeth (Rebecca Hall) and his mistress Olive (Bella Heathcote) in the 1920s, which were much more scandalous than they would be half a century later. This is based on true events and some of the parts have been conjectured for dramatic effect, but having read his bio nothing is more bizarre than portrayed in the movie. William Marston did live with his wife and another woman, fathering children by both, while studying the dynamics of relationships, with a slant on female empowerment that led him to create the Wonder Woman comic in 1941.

William, Elizabeth & Olive Together
professor-marston-the-wonder-women-PMWW_00887_R_CROP_rgb.jpg

Some of the elements of Wonder Woman, such as the rope of truth came from Marston's invention of the lie detector, which he used in his study to uncover desires of subjects, but was later used by the military for interrogation. Also, the early Wonder Woman comics written by Marston had lots of bondage in them and our fav Amazon had a closeness to other women, some ideation Marston brot from his own fantasies and life experience at home.

Elizabeth & Olive Close
medium_54491-professor-marston-the-wonder-women-final-trailer.jpg

Olive in Sex Shop
PROFESSOR-MARSTON-THE-WONDER-WOMEN.jpg

What was entertaining was the relationship portrayed of these three characters as they lived their unconventional life in a very disapproving time, and how they explored their feelings for each other. Their relationships lasted a lifetime.

The aggregate critics at Rotten Tomatoes gave it an 88% Fresh. Their consensus was, "Professor Marston and The Wonder Women winds a lasso of cinematic truth around a fascinating fact-based tale with strong performances from its three stars." Both Publix Girl and I enjoyed this movie as did 81% of audiences. However, it is a sleeper and has not done well at the box office, so if you are a fan of Wonder Woman and want to see its history, you might want to get to the Cinema for this movie. BTW, it is rated R.

Last edited:
Welcome back Shale! I'd wondered where you'd gone. And thanks for the reviews :)