• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

'Of course it's loaded you stupid s***': Final words of GHB user

But what?s the point? Will she be any more or less likely to do it again if she goes to jail for it? I highly doubt it.

Are other people less likely to accidentally kill people with guns because of it? I highly doubt it too.

I?d be a lot more inclined to see her locked up if I believed either of those might be the case.

Finally there?s the question of if she deserves it. And that?s a case by case question for me that I don?t know the answer. The loss of her friend and subsequent media coverage might be punishment enough.

I just don?t see much point to locking her up. I neither see how it does any good nor how it lessens the likelihood of any bad.

His family might want to see some justice done and some punishment which wont bring him back but will serve as a message to not make decisions that lead to a death

justice and punishment aren't synonymous though. jail doesn't rehabilitate people, it tends to just damage them more.
i'm not saying i think she shouldn't be held at fault here, but i don't really see what good it does to punish someone that did something foolish that will haunt them til the day they die.
i'm not a big fan of the idea that prison or legal punishment be used in some kind of vengeful way. personally i've never seen anyone come out of prison a better member of society; it causes more problems than it solves, and IMO should only be a last resort, for people that need to be kept separate from society.

i do agree that this wouldn't have happened if she had any idea how to handle firearms.

My grandfather who taught me how to shoot told me 3 things to never forget. Treat every gun like it's loaded,only point a gun atsomething you plan on shooting, and keep your finger flat along the side above the trigger.

Sad story. Could have had a 4 way and ended up taking a blast from a sawn-off

His family might want to see some justice done and some punishment which wont bring him back but will serve as a message to not make decisions that lead to a death

Well then we have a philosophical disagreement here. Because I do not accept the legitimacy of government actions being taken for the sole purpose of what message it sends. And as (I presume) a drug user, neither should you. Cause sending the right message is the go to excuse for every otherwise useless or harmful drug policy ever. Can?t provide clean needles, sends the wrong message, etc.

And on the second part. I also entirely reject any argument that says we should do something based on what a victim or their family wants. Justice must be impartial. The victims can?t be expected to exercise impartialiality.

If it serves no greater purpose beyond these arguments. I call bullshit on it.

I do not want to see tax payer money wasted locking up a person if it doesnt improve public safety, doesnt reduce the risk of further offenses. Doesnt help anything in any way beyond stupid political messages and the feelings of the grieving. This would be a horrible world to live in if we enacted every stupid idea every grieving mother ever came up with. And sending the right message can be used to justify anything including shit that?s contradictory so thats useless.

The interesting question is SHOULD she be punished. I thought about this earlier when I wrote my post about gun safety. I?ll admit, a big part of me wants to see people punished for doing such obviously dangerous and stupid shit with guns. But, having thought it through. While I feel conflicted about it, I can?t agree.

Anyone who has had any training in firearm safety or has been in that world for any length of time has had it drilled into them over and over and over. There are no accidents. All gun accidents are negligent.

But the unfortunate truth is. Experience has shown me over and over again that while for anyone who has been taught that, it would indeed be negligence. For ordinary people with no experience at all. It is simply not the case that everyday rational people know from common sense how to safely handle a gun. They just don?t. They are an accident waiting to happen.

For it to be true negligence warranting punishment, it has to be that an ordinary person picked at random would be unlikely to make such a mistake.

If you gave an ordinary everyday person a loaded firearm, I would immediately fear for the lives of everyone around them. Because experience has shown me over and over that people just aren?t smart enough to be around them safely without being taught how to. Apparently it?s not something that comes naturally. No matter how obvious it seems in hindsight to anyone who has been taught how to safely use a gun.

So, with all that said. Unless she meant to shoot him. I just can?t support punishing her. However, I do think someone who HAS gotten any form of safety training and then goes on to shoot and kill someone without meaning too, they SHOULD be punished for it. Because in that instance they really should know better.

By the logic of that last paragraph I quoted you would actually be punishing people who go out of their way to get gun safety training. Then forgive people who don't bother with safety training but decide to touch a gun anyway.

It's been engrained into pretty much everyone that guns can hurt people, that is the first thing people learn about guns. That's what guns are built to do, hurt/kill things. So for someone to pick a gun up and start waving it around without knowing how to handle it is extremely negligent and should be punished. Maybe not 10 years but there should be repercussions for what she did because she was playing with a dangerous weapon.

That?s not what I?m saying. What I?m saying is the way the system currently works. Say you have, an extremely dangerous chemical. And skmeone comes into control of it, and an accident happens. A person with a background in how to safely handle dangerous chemicals would be held to a higher standard than say, you or I.

It goes on a case by case basis. Should a person like the person who commited the act have known better than to behave so recklessly. For some that will be more true than others. Say I have had professional firearm safety instruction. I would expect that if I accidentally shot someone I should be held to a higher standard in determining negligence than someone who hadn?t. That seems sensible to me.

Yes. Everyone knows in theory how dangerous guns are. But that?s not relevant. What?s relevant is that most people pose a danger to people around them while in possession of a firearm if they have no experience of training, formally or informally.

Anyone with first hand experience knows how reckless people behave in such situations. Much as I wish to god the average person weren?t so brain dead. Experience has shown over and over that they are. And legally negligent is a relative term. The objective standard is if you got say, a hundred random people together and put them in that position, how likely is an accident? It?s only negligence if an average person would be highly unlikely to have made such a mistake. And unfortunately much as we might all wish it weren?t the case, in this situation an average person with a gun is a walking death trap. No matter what they acedemically know, they don?t think they are likely to accidentally shoot someone.

On a side note, science has shown again and again that this phenomenon, that of people being fucking shit at evaluating risks in their choice to take risks or not, is almost universal.

I stand by what I said. I?m not gonna agree she should be put away until I either think some positive outcome will likely result or a negative outcome will be less likely as a result. Or if I thought it was beyond obvious that an average person would never do something so stupid. Since I can?t see how any of that applies. My value system won?t let me agree with it. Even if emotionally I do kinda want to hit people for being so stupid like, every fucking day.

If the person with the dangerous chemical did not know it was dangerous and there was an accident I could see your point but guns are a clearly dangerous. If the nontrained person knew the chemical was dangerous enough to cause an accident and handled it anyway they are at fault, that seems to me the logical conclusion.

I'm not saying it was entirely her fault, that guy shouldn't have had a loaded gun sitting out. I don't want the book thrown at her but she was at the very least partially responsible for his death.

I fail to see how punishing someone who has extensive gun training is any different. Imagine the exact same scenario happened except the girl had firearm safety training, what should the outcome be at that point?

Last edited:
If you haven't, carefully read the story linked in the article by the Fail. She clearly isn't so completely innocent.

If the person with the dangerous chemical did not know it was dangerous and there was an accident I could see your point but guns are a clearly dangerous. If the nontrained person knew the chemical was dangerous enough to cause an accident and handled it anyway they are at fault, that seems to me the logical conclusion.

I'm not saying it was entirely her fault, that guy shouldn't have had a loaded gun sitting out. I don't want the book thrown at her but she was at the very least partially responsible for his death.

I fail to see how punishing someone who has extensive gun training is any different. Imagine the exact same scenario happened except the girl had firearm safety training, what should the outcome be at that point?

If she had safety training I would be more inclined to support her being out in jail. I'm not saying I would, just that I'd be more I'd be more inclined to. Because to me, what it comes down to is a question of negligence. And that's a question that is relative. If you handed a loaded gun to a random untrained person, I would feel very concerned that I might get shot by accident. If you handed it to someone who had proper safety training, I wouldn't be concerned at all of getting shit by accident. Because the trained person should know better. It would require a mistake on their part well beyond what a sensible person with their background would be likely to make.

Therefore, a mistake by a trained person should be taken far more seriously. To take a similar example, say a criminal lawyer and some random person commit an obscure crime. A lawyer is expected to know the law better, and should be held to higher standard.

The way I see it, no matter what people SHOULD know. My experience has shown me without question that regular people in control of a gun are a serious injury or death just waiting to happen. So way it see it, the reason that is isn't relevant. Since that's the case, the fact that an accident happened isn't something I could rightfully call negligence. Because to be negligent it must be something most people wouldn't be likely to do. Even if you think people shouldn't be that dumb, fact is they are.

There is no point in punishing people for negligence if the negligence is no stupider than how most people would act. Because that means that going to jail or not is nothing more than bad luck. You didn't do anything different to anyone else, only you were unlucky enough to have it happen. So negligence should be defined (and in reality is defined) as doing something most similar people in a similar situation would know better than to do. No matter how much you and I might wish they knew better they don't.

Now. As for WHY this is the case. As I said I think the reason isn't relevant as far as punishment goes, but just for discussions sake. I think the reason is that normal people suck at risk evaluation. They don't properly comprehend just how dangerous a gun is. They see piles of movies of people pointing guns at each other, they learn from so much bad media that people point guns at each other with their finger on the trigger all the time. But very very very rarely in media is it depicted that someone shoots someone by put mistake. Generally in films and tv, people only fire guns when they mean too. So they don't realize just how dangerous such behavior is. And they don't properly evaluate the risk of someone dying compared to the risk of where they're pointing the gun and what they're doing with it. They think that an accident won't happen. Generally they don think about it whatsoever, but to the extent that they do they don't think they'd be so stupid as to pull the trigger by mistake.

I agree that just pointing a gun at someone when have no intention of hurting is obviously stupid. But people just don't think about it. You see this kind of stupid risk taking happen all the time.

I agree that it's incredible how stupid people are. I agree that it should be common sense not to do that shit. But clearly it isn't because if it were I wouldn't feel so scared seeing a gun in untrained hands. I wouldn't see them constantly handle them in such a way that they sweep people in a dangerous way all the time. Much as we might wish it, it's no common sense because people don't intuitively do it.

Which means I don't see any point in punishing her if she didn't do anything negligent behind what most risks most people would take (keeping in mind there may be more about this case I don't know about yet).

As for what SHOULD happen to her?

Well. In my ideal society. I would want it taken before a court. It would then be determined if she acted negligent in the way I defined, if she didn't. Then here's no point locking her up. She hasn't committed a crime if it wasn't intentional or reckless negligence. It's a waste of money, and I don't see how it makes anything better, and I don't see how not locking her up makes anything worse. I don't acknowledge the validity of the argument that we should send a message or placate the grieving family. I'd only agree with her being locked up if I thought by doing so we'd make society safe, or lessen the risk to them. And unless it looked like she'd be around guns again and might accidentally shoot someone again (in which case it might well be wise to lock her up cause then she poses a risk behind the average) I don't see any valid point to putting her in jail. Instead I'd want to look into providing people better safety education. Do more about keeping it from happening again.

On the other hand. If it were determined that she was negligent beyond the scope of what risk an average person would pose, then she's guilty of negligent homicide. The question becomes how should she be punished. I would want to know what suffering she's experiencing from having accidentally shot him. If she's already suffering greatly from that, I would want the system to be lenient. I would insist she get safety training to ensure she doesn't do it again since she was obviously in a position for it to happen once and if she's free she might be in such a position again. If it seems she doesn't feel horrible about what she did, if she has been trying to justify herself and similar behaviors, then I'd be a lot less lenient. I'd want her put in jail. Not sure how long. But I'd give her something.

I understand the desire to see her punished, really I do. When I first read about is and in my first posts it really outraged me that people are so retarded. And I wanted to see her punished for it. But I don't like letting my emotions control my better judgement and moral beliefs. So while I understand, my moral beliefs are opposed to jailing people to send a message. Or for no real benefit or real attempt to protect the public. Generally I'm opposed to deterrence as the rationale too. I mean I'm ok with jailing people to serve as a deterrence, but only if it works. If the deterrence isn't effective I'm not ok with continuing to use that excuse. And if the deterrence of accidentally killing someone you are about, being a killer, and all the legal hoops and huge disruption to your life weren't already an effective deterrence, the idea of going to jail won't add anything extra.

If I thought deterrence worked I'd be ok with it, but in practice... I've known a lot of criminals in my life. I don't believe deterring people through severe punishment almost ever works.

That's how I'd want society to work. And it's pretty close to how it is supposed to work in some places to varying extends,

I had a friend that killed his best friend like this. They were in their early twenties. They were stoned and my friend just picked up the victims gun thinking it was empty aimed and shot him. They didnt call the ambulance right away either out if fear trying to come up with an excuse. The kid died. My friend was on suicide watch for a year and the victims family didn't press charges because killing his best friend was punishment enough

It's amazing isn't it? As if people unintentionally pointing a gun in someone's direction and mistakingly pulling the trigger wasn't stupid enough. So many of these incidents involve someone intentionally pointing the gun at their friend and pulling the trigger thinking it was unloaded. Which is far more profoundly retarded,

You'd think they'd at least think to have absolutely double triple quadruple checked that it's empty before doing that but nope. So frequently they don't. Idiotic horseplay. I said earlier that I personally know of a guy who wound up dead because of people being stupid with guns. His was one of those especially retarded examples. He accidentally killed himself. Decided to show off by putting the gun to his head and pulling the trigger. Dunno why he thought it was unloaded, but he was wrong.

A tragic loss of life all cause of brainless stupidity. Like I said, I wish I could call what this woman did criminally negligent and that most people wouldn't do something so carelessly irresponsible. Alas...

This is more nuanced then I originally thought it was. I understand your points now although I can't say I agree with them all.

The most obvious person to fault would be the girl who pulled the trigger, but what about the person who brought a loaded gun to the party? It's unfortunate, but multiple people are at fault here.

People do senseless things while intoxicated. Everyone with a driver's license has been trained in driving safety but that doesn't stop them from making bad decisions while intoxicated that can lead to the death of another individual. The solution to drunk driving isn't more training, it's don't drive while intoxicated and education about alcohol intoxication.

It sounds like there was no practical use for the gun to begin with and it was being used to show off or play with. If that is the case then loading the gun is even more senseless. Either way, the gun shouldn't have been present while people were intoxicated. People who bring out loaded or unloaded guns around a bunch of intoxicated people are asking for trouble IMO.

The most obvious person to fault would be the girl who pulled the trigger, but what about the person who brought a loaded gun to the party? It's unfortunate, but multiple people are at fault here.

People do senseless things while intoxicated. Everyone with a driver's license has been trained in driving safety but that doesn't stop them from making bad decisions while intoxicated that can lead to the death of another individual. The solution to drunk driving isn't more training, it's don't drive while intoxicated and education about alcohol intoxication.

It sounds like there was no practical use for the gun to begin with and it was being used to show off or play with. If that is the case then loading the gun is even more senseless. Either way, the gun shouldn't have been present while people were intoxicated. People who bring out loaded or unloaded guns around a bunch of intoxicated people are asking for trouble IMO.

Something my boyfriend and I would argue about was his unending psychological need to find somebody to blame in every situation. I'd always tell him that there doesn't have to be someone to blame when something goes wrong.

Sure, there is blame to go around here, people are responsible, but at the end of the day this was a stupid mistake. And if we jailed everyone capable of making it, that would be a sizable chunk of the total population.

Anyways, gun safety training and being taught to drive a car aren't comparable. Among several other differences, most people aren't given any gun safety training at all.

There isn't a solution here, but there is a simple way to substantially reduce the frequency, and that's education.

I'd disagree.. While there may be differences they point of comparison is that both guns and cars involve a lot of risk but can be operated safely or unsafely and intoxication will affect the safety of both. Obviously there are differences, but the important factor is that the safety or risk factors are directly tied to the operators decisions and skill. Not a perfect comparison, but it works in this situation.

I don't feel an unending psychological need to fault someone, just pointing to the fact that there are multiple people who have responsibility in the situation. The only reason I did so was seeing that a lot of people were arguing about whether or not the woman was to blame. I wasn't advocating incarceration by any means.

The big difference is that using a car safely is a lot more involved. A lot more complicated with way more variables.

Using a gun safely is very very simple. A couple basic rules that you must ALWAYS follow.

Eventually causing an accident in a car is understandable. An accident with a gun is unacceptable. It's far easier to avoid an accident with a gun if you know what you're doing.

I maintain the differences are such that they can't be easily compared.

Anyhow, point is. A little gun safety training would go a long way.

The key point for comparison is that a very simple mistake can result in death and/or serious injury and that intoxication greatly increases the likelihood of someone making a mistake that results in serious damage. Also, in both situations training would not stop an intoxicated person from making a mistake and it is likely that the training received may be completely disregarded due to the intoxication.

What would you use for comparison instead?

I see your point and don't disagree that it would be beneficial but it can't be said that it would have prevented the tragedy. I've received gun training, grew up around them and know how to operate them safely but I've also been blacked out at a party where someone brought out a gun to show off and ended up pointing it at someone. I have no memory of this and would never do it intentionally, but was told that I did it the next day. People are much less predictable when intoxicated and doing something while intoxicated that you will later regret is very common with anyone.

You're right. And this is a very important point. It is usually impossible to entirely eliminate a particular undesirable social phenomenon. And we shouldn't try.

This is where cars come back into this. Here in Australia they are constantly passing endless new laws to try and reduce the number of young people dying on the roads. Now some of this isn't a bad thing of course, it's something we should be trying to do, but a lot of people refuse to accept that it will NEVER be entirely eliminated and at some point we need to just accept that more and more regulations that introduce more and more side effects for less and less net positive effect has to fucking stop.

There is another extreme here to be cautious of. The opposite one of doing nothing. The one where we make everyone take gun safety courses and a few idiots still shoot each other so we make the courses more involved, take longer, cost more money, you then have to retake refresher courses, etc etc it's maddening. And I don't want that either. God no. We have enough of that nonsense with other public safety concerns as it is.

The point isn't to eliminate ALL gun accidents, that's an impossible goal. The point is to take the few simple measures that would have the greatest impact, and leave it there. That's what I'd like to see.

So no. Making everyone take some basic safety training won't eliminate accidents. But it's a simple relatively low cost and very low difficulty step that'll help a lot. I think that's worth doing.

Maybe this guy would still be alive then, then again maybe he wouldn't. But likely a few people less will die or be injured here and there.

Last edited: