• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Peer pressure and dabs

George1012

Bluelighter
I had kind of a dilemma today meeting with some old friends who i used to blaze with a long time ago. We used to smoke a lot back in the day until they moved away. I've been smoking a few years with a few breaks spread out throughout the time. We used to smoke bowl after bowl, then when they moved I stopped for awhile then started and haven't reached the high levels of smoking I used to since. I've since been a lightweight. I went to kick it with them to say hello for the first time in over a year and they tried to get me to hit some dab. I haven't smoked in like two weeks, with the exception of doing it a few times one day out of that two weeks. I said no nicely a few times and told them I'm not comfortable smoking anything, let alone a concentrate if I haven't smoked in a while, especially since I have to make a 40 mile drive back home in two hours. They continued to pressure me, calling me a pussy and they eventually got mad and thought I was being rude and defensive but I told them like I had three times already, that I'm not comfortable smoking a dab, especially since I've never had anything stronger then regular buds, ever and I thought doing a dab after not smoking for a few weeks was a terrible idea, so I departed on not so good of terms. Was I in the wrong in that situation? These guys are hardheads and have been smoking like 6-10 bowls a day, and dabs a few times a week. I told them I'm sorry I don't want to risk getting in a car accident and I didn't want to blow my tolerance through the roof and possibly end up way too high.

You're absolutely right. Dabs are a different kind of animal. I thought I had a huge tolerance (every day smoker for 10 years) and did three dabs for the first time and was completely floored.
Peer pressure in the drug doing world is and should be taboo.

If they are truly your friends then they should respect your wishes and not pressure you into taking a substance into your body in a certain way when you're not comfortable with it.

You definitely were not in the wrong for not succumbing to peer pressure. It is your body and you are the only one in charge of choosing what you do with it ultimately. If they were offering you food and you had just eaten it wouldn't be rude to politely refuse the offer, however it would be considered rude to pressure you and make you feel forced into eating.. at least imo.

These people you were hanging out with sound not very nice. They are probably just self-inflated assholes. Find new friends to smoke with.. that's my only advice. Dabbing is a whole different can of worms and really brings up your tolerance.

These people you were hanging out with sound not very nice. They are probably just self-inflated assholes. Find new friends to smoke with.. that's my only advice. Dabbing is a whole different can of worms and really brings up your tolerance.

This is all you gotta know buddy^

If dabs floor a veteran smoker who knows what it'd do to me with my weak tolerance

They want to hang out again in the next few days and said they were just 'messing with me'. I don't know what to say to that.

A lot of people like to see people dab for the first time. I am guilty of pressuring people into it, there was something entertaining about seeing people take their first dab then sit back in the couch amazed. I didn't use negativity though and would respect people who didn't want to do it, it was more just convincing people who were afraid that it was relatively safe. Usually just explaining what it was would be enough and most everyone I smoked with had been smoking for years. I know it is pretty common within the culture to pressure people into it and then give them a humungous dab and watch them choke. I never really found it funny to watch someone choke though..

Do what you want man, don't give into the urge to do what will please them. TBH, I could believe that they were just messing around and took things a little too far, but do what feels right to you.

Yeah that was pretty rude of your friends, but like Mafioso said, seeing someone take their first dab who really enjoys it is a great thing. Your situation though was different. If you ever do decide to move up to concentrates using like a vape pen or pre-filled cartridge is a good way to move up without getting floored. I used it with people who never thought they would dab, people of all ages and seeing there face light up is pretty amazing.

I kind of treat weed the way people who do psychedelics treat those. I have to be in the right state of mind, prepared, and at peace with myself. I've smoked in the wrong state of mind or when I wasn't ready after a break a few times and it was a huge disaster. Doing dab would've especially been a terrible idea at that time. I explained this to them and that's why they called me a 'pussy', which pissed me off. Weed truly isn't given enough credit for its potential. Its a strong substance.

Last edited:
I smoked hash topped over flower bowls a few times, once way back in the day with these buddies when I had a really high tolerance. That time it honestly didn't really do anything special. The other time was actually my second or third time smoking green after a very long break, like 7-8 months and two hits had me floored. I'll tell you that was a fun time.

Just do everything at your own discretion. Only you know what your limits are with all substances. Cannabis can be fun in moderation for many people!

Short answer; your friends are jerks.

Long answer; honestly there's no reason that they should get upset with you for not wishing to partake. It's your body and your mind. If they can't accept your company without getting stoned then you should question whether or not they're even worth your time.
The fact that they knew you needed to drive and didn't feel comfortable doing so while high solidifies the fact that they don't care about you as a person. I've offered weed to many friends and more often than not they say no for one reason or another and that's completely fine by me.

I kind of treat weed the way people who do psychedelics treat those. I have to be in the right state of mind, prepared, and at peace with myself. I've smoked in the wrong state of mind or when I wasn't ready after a break a few times and it was a huge disaster. Doing dab would've especially been a terrible idea at that time. I explained this to them and that's why they called me a 'pussy', which pissed me off. Weed truly isn't given enough credit for its potential. Its a strong substance.

That's not a bad way to view it.

Don't listen to anyone who calls you a pussy or insinuates you are a coward for NOT using drugs. If anything, the opposite is true.