• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Russian Sage: Anyone else love it?

Anonymous Dissident

Bluelighter
Despite the controversial ideas about it's toxicity, I was curious about the psychoactive properties of this common plant. I began by smoking small amounts of dried flower, and after 2-3 small hits, it becomes clear that this is an active plant. I've since moved from simple dry flower to very easy to make, and stunningly powerful, green & sparkly extract active at <20mg and almost overwhelming at doses above 50mg smoked. Oral preparations seem essentially inactive compared to smoked, even at doses of nearly 1g of the extract and I've had no better luck with a tea from fresh leaves and flowers. Seems that like it's cousin S. Divinorum, 1st pass metabolism inactivates the vast majority of the active compounds. Quidding fresh leaves creates effects similar to that of the extract, but just orders or potency less potent. The effects are similar to some of the 1st generation spice blends, but with cottonmouth far more difficult to vanquish than that caused by cannibis. I'd love to know the precise chemical composition of the extract, but I can only hypothesise based on the particular phytochemicals present in the plant and make quasi-educated guesses based on the extraction Tek.

Anyone else have any positive experiences (or any experiences period) with Russian Sage??

This one's difficult and probably outside of our general purview here in Basic Drug Discussion. I read about the herb in question and have come back with research in hand, as it were. There's not a lot of information available, but it's a pretty straightforward herb of the sage family that seems to have some anti-inflammatory effects. There's just not a lot that's scientifically proven regarding the how/what/why of this substance, but some obviously seem to benefit from its usage.

I would encourage you to keep doing some research on your own time. I'll obviously poke around a little bit, but by the looks of it, Russian Sage is not currently a hot topic for folks here at Bluelight and I'm afraid you might not get the answers you're looking for. One thing I like to say though, is that if you're interested in it, there must be someone else who is. You could start the chain by maybe making a Trip Report regarding your experience with Russian Sage, so that when the next guy comes knocking, he won't be starting from scratch like you have.

Just a thought. You could help someone out with the very issue you're having!

^Those individuals who I would be comfortable sharing it with are very reticent to due to the same lack of information you mentioned.

A trip report detailing my the ROA's, different extraction techniques, what other substances I've combined it with, and a sort of summary of my experiences with the plant is something I can work on. It'd be a bitch and a half to write on my cell like I'm doing now. I have a surgery coming up in November, so I should have some free time.

I need to do the same for S. Nemororsa, S. Mohavensis, S. Splendens, M. Multiflora (spoiler alert: it's inactive), R. Corumbosa, A. Muscaria, Delosperma sp., and a handful of other plants and succulents commonly found in my region. There's nothing better than learning that you are literally surrounded by free psychoactive ethnobotanicals ?

I had some free time this afternoon and spent some of it making some Russian sage bubble hash. I was expecting a sticky resin, but it turned out to be a fairly powdery result. I'm going to let it finish drying and try it tomorrow. If it's anything like my regular EtOH, CH3COOH, and H20 extracts, it'll be a treat.

This shit is strong. A single hit has me very high.

I'll post an image as soon as I can figure out how to insert an image.

from fresh harvest to smokable herb, what is your drying and prep process? and how are you making it an extract?

Last edited:
A simple bubble hash extraction of foliage, or preferably flowers, is far more effective and easier than my previous attempts. Extraction is almost unnecessary if you just want to smoke the flowers, they're a lively addition to any homemade smoking blends on weaker side. The bubble hash is single hit shit, so tread carefully.