• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

How long does it take to reset alcohol and lorazpeam tolerance?

V82

Bluelighter
How long would it take me to reset/lower my tolerance to alcohol and lorazepam if I completely abstain from both.

I have been drinking too much and it is not as enjoyable as it was. I have been drinking 3 to 4 pints 5 to 6 nights a week.

And I have been taking 1 to 1.5 mg of lorazpeam 3 times a week.

I was planning to stop using for 2 to 2.5 months.

No way to know for sure. I dont know much about lorazopam and it depends on how much you drink. Age can play a factor. I used to drink alot but quit because i dont get the good effects anymore. Years and years later and booze just doesn't do anything for me. I used to abuzse benzos and alcohol which both affect you gaba receptors. I can still feel xanax but not like it used to be. Too much can really damage these receptors for a long time. I would give it more time and if it doesn't work anymore then save your money. I still can't get that nice buzz feeling if i drink. I think some people also just grow out of it. Maybe its time to hit a phase in life where you are happy just being you and not having to feel all fucked up to have a good time.

^Believe me, I know. I dated a girl who weighed about 110lbs who would routinely do the equivalent of 4 pints of liquor in a 24hr period. It wasn't a long or happy union between us, sadly. My point is, there's a wide degree of variability in terms of how much Alcohol people can consume and remain functional.

^Believe me, I know. I dated a girl who weighed about 110lbs who would routinely do the equivalent of 4 pints of liquor in a 24hr period. It wasn't a long or happy union between us, sadly. My point is, there's a wide degree of variability in terms of how much Alcohol people can consume and remain functional.

Oh yeah, I know. At one point I was drinking a half gallon of vodka every two days, and I weighed probably 130 at the time. The way he said it it sounded like ale to me but yeah, it could be liquor.

And I have been taking 1 to 1.5 mg of lorazpeam 3 times a week.

This is a relatively small amount and while everyone is different and there's no way to know for sure, a few months of total abstinence should be plenty to shake any tolerance you have.

IME, benzos are pretty much the worst when it comes to tolerance. It builds fast and it goes high -- to the point they barely do anything anymore. 14 years on them had my tolerance at ungodly levels, and in my case it would probably take MUCH longer to lose the tolerance... But it seems you've done an admirable job of keeping your use in check. So props for that.

I guess, we'll assume that OP is consuming beer and not liquor. When I was drinker, my "schedule" was really determined by when withdrawal symptoms began to present. Throughout the weeks of heavy drinking, I would use Benzodiazepines intermittently and they would increase the time between Alcoholic drinks. It's just what one might expect given the research available regarding Alcohol and Benzodiazepine cross tolerance.

I think the dosages of Lorazepam that we're dealing with are probably analogous in an approximate way to the amount of Alcohol being consumed. I feel like this leaves OP with a tolerance for about 6 drinks or so per day equivalent. I imagine tolerance can be reduced to close to zero within a week or so, but when even a minor dependency upon sedative/hypnotics is concerned, you need to familiarize yourself with something called the Kindling Effect. I'll let the article do the talking, but it is a name for the phenomenon in which sedative/hypnotic dependency is acquired more quickly and the resulting withdrawal is more severe following each successive dependence and withdrawal phase.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kindling_(sedative–hypnotic_withdrawal)

The biggest fact you can glean from this article, given the information that you're after, is that you'll probably not ever return to True homeostasis after being dependent upon these sedative/hypnotic drugs. Your acute withdrawal can return to just about baseline, but you'll progress to higher dosages and dependency much more quickly than you did in times previous.

I dated a girl who weighed about 110lbs who would routinely do the equivalent of 4 pints of liquor in a 24hr period. It wasn't a long or happy union between us, sadly.

Holy SHIT! Thats an ass load of liquor. Did she die from it cause I hope not! 8o