• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Xanax withdrawal symptoms... this is BRUTAL

aaMizer720

Ex-Bluelighter
What else am I supposed to right Keif? Or where should I post questions like this. These are legit questions I want direct responses from.

I have been on xanax since 6/2012. Anywhere from .5 mg 3 times a day to 2 mg 3 times a day. I have been taking like one mg of Xanax twice a week for the last few months bc I’ve been hooked on oxies for 9 months. So I’ve been taking those instead.

And for the last few weeks or week or so, I’ve puked like 5 times, nausea is brutally constant, head pressure, tight band around head, eye and ear symptoms vision weirdness , ringing in ears like is this from Xanax withdrawals ? Anyone else have those ?

Thanks! Don’t delete this post , it’s the first post about Xanax withdrawal and there’s no where else to put it.

I'm sure if you did a search on xanax WDs you could find the info your looking for. Surely it's not the first.

Absolutely , I’ve read some stuff. But if I try to get some pin point answers, I would rather get them from the users experiencing or experienced it already.

Thanks

It could be withdrawals from Xanax but when I went through it, I was quite sick. It was way worse than opiate withdrawals for me- the shaking, sweating, head spinning and GI symptoms were absolutely hellish. Does it ease up much when you take Xanax?

Calderone,
Actually I will let you know that when I take a Xanax in a few hours. Have 1 , 1 mg Xanax left until a few days ugh.

The constant nausea, some vomiting and GI bloating is crazy too, did you have that?

^ I don't remember if I was bloated but diarrhea and vomiting at the same time thinking I was going to die. It was horrible.

Ok so I took the 1 mg Xanax last night for first time in like 6 days, and felt totally better for about 3 1/2 hours. Then all the BS came back 7 hours later. Sound about right?

And BTW, I always get jarred at for posting on this topic. Meanwhile at least 70% of all other threads created under this topic or discussion can be googled and found. Lol.

Hey Mizer, I haven't been closing your threads for decidedly "negative" reasons. I was just closing the threads that lacked even the possibility of a definitive answer. We can only answer posts that are indeed answerable. Posts like "Hey, has anyone ever done Oxycodone" just don't work for BDD. If you're withdrawing from Benzodiazepines and need help, support and guidance, we can definitely do that.

We don't close threads out of spite man, it's purely an administrative thing. It does sound like you're dealing with Benzo withdrawal. It's well-known to make every part of your body fuck-up in one way or another. I would definitely say that withdrawal from Benzodiazepines/Alcohol is a much more intense experience than withdrawal from Opioids in my experience. Opioids = very unpleasant Sedative/Hypnotics = nightmare hell

Do you have any options in terms of seeking medical attention? They will typically medicate you for this condition, especially if you really sell yourself to the medical professionals. There's no need to deal with the entirety of the pain if you don't have to, but the process will almost always be unpleasant to some degree.

Keif, thanks for the explanation. I have my regular doctor. I was hoping he can give me Valium. I didn’t intentionally come off the Xanax, but bc of taking so many oxycodones , I didn’t take Xanax for the reason of not mixing. And because of that , I’ve kind of hit both withdrawals in that time period when both are out of my system. I’m not exactly sure where to turn. I have my sisters wedding in 12 days and I’m one of the groomsmen. I feel so sick all day unless I take my oxycodone. I hate what I’ve done to myself.

I'm on my phone, so this will be a little abbreviated, but I would just accept the fact that you will need to medicate in order to be functional and present for the wedding.

I think we should start by giving your doctor a call. See if he can advise over the phone, but if not, make an appointment. Try not to look like a street urchin when you go for your appointment. Your angle is respectable, upstanding citizen who ended up with a little medication problem.

If both drugs had been prescribed for proper reasons, and you just discontinued one or the other, or both, on your own initiative, then you should have no problems getting back on both. You can't withdraw from both benzos and opioids in 12 days and be good as new for your wedding, so like Kief said, you need to start taking both in order to be OK. Mixing benzos and opioids is dangerous if you're seeking a high and using large doses with low tolerance. However, if you're accustomed to both drugs and know your limits, you should have no risks taking them together - but always consult your doc first. There are many people taking both benzos and opioids at sensible doses without any harm - I've done it myself.

As for quitting, you should wait for until the wedding is over, and then attempt a taper of one drug at a time. Quitting both benzos and opioids is too harsh for a regular person to handle. Do one at a time at a moderate pace, and you should be fine. There are many tapering guides, so consult those when you are at a point where you want to quit.

B/D and I are definitely in agreement here. You have a lot going on at once and part of what will help you ultimately succeed on your own terms, is approaching the situation realistically from the start. Like B/D just said, even if you went cold turkey from everything, this moment, it's doubtful that you would be ready even with 2 weeks to recover. I'm sure you would be mostly through the hard parts of the withdrawal, but for a momentous occasion such as this, you want to be emotionally and intellectually present. So, yes, tackling your addiction/dependence is a great and responsible decision, but if you would like to enjoy the wedding, put that on the back burner for now.

Now, talking in a general sense about your situation and the taper, my advice would be to tackle the Opioid dependency first. It's arguably a less intense, protracted process than Opioid withdrawal. I believe this to be true based upon my experience. Like most drugs, BZD typically leaves users with some Protracted Withdrawal symptoms. Again though, compared to Opioids, these PAWS symptoms seem to last for a longer period of time. Symptoms like anxiety, unsociability, depression, physical anxiety, insomnia etc. tend to linger at a low intensity for a few weeks. So, you can see why we're advising you to not bite off too much before the wedding.

Or, alternatively, if you are intent to pursue your taper now, I think you should plan on having medication on hand and ready to go for the day/night of the wedding. Even if you're going through withdrawal before and after, there's no reason why you can't medicate yourself in order to go to the wedding.

In an analogous way, whenever people ask me if high-dose Loperamide (Immodium) is appropriate for treating their withdrawal, I can give two separate answers. The first is, if they have no game plan and are in one way or another going to be Opioid free for an indefinite period of time, it's inappropriate because it has some potentially deadly cardiovascular side-effects. The second, however, if say, they just need to make it two more days until payday, at which time they can continue using their dope at the usual interval, I would say using Loperamide as a stop-gap is a little more appropriate. There are things in life that you need to be present for, like work, family, etc. and strategies for making it through these scenarios is different than providing long-term advice.

Does this kind of make sense? If you could give us some more information regarding your relationship with your prescribers, more specific information regarding your volume and frequency of use (what does it take to make you feel well? what does it take to make you feel high? etc) I or another BL would be happy to give you a more concise plan of action. Either way, we're here for you and will do our best to make your ordeal as smooth as possible and to hopefully help you enjoy the wedding! (And to have others enjoy your presence ;))

Thank you both so much for the detailed explanation. It is much appreciated and I’m thankful for that. I’ll do that part of the response first thing in morning. I’m going to try and get more than 2 hours of sleep tonight.
Thanks again!

I used to just take 0.5 mg or Xanax one or twice a day back in 2012 when I started them. And did that for like 2 years. Then sometimes I would take 2-5 mg at once , just once in a while. Then in 2015 I took like 3 mg a day once sometimes twice a day for months or a year. And for the last year or so up until I say February of this year I’ve taken 0.5 mg to 2 mg everyday ... since February it’s been every other day or every few days I’ll take a 1 mg pill once or twice , only because I’ve been taking OxyContin / oxycodone since February or January of this year. I’ve went the passed few weeks only take a 1 mg pill of Xanax like once a night once a week. And for the last few days hollllyyyyyyyy hellllll I’m feeling wierd. I took another 1 mg last night and the night before and those head symptoms nausea and puking have disappeared since waking this morning.

I have a great relationship with my primary. He will prescribe me mostly anything I ask for. So I see him tomorrow. I’m thinking a refill on my Xanax 0.5 mg (60) quantity & May see if he can give me 5 mg Valiums. I need to feel somewhat normal for this wedding. Which will consist of no alcohol. But will be taking my oxycontin 80s chewed up so there straight IRZ OXYCODONE and I don’t recommend that to anyone with no tolerance. And Xanax at night or something.